Virtual Reality

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Updated to correct firmware 1.4.0.224375, it now recognizes the sensor but nothing else. If I swap my headset cable to the known working port (the sensor works on it) it will not recognize the headset. (Even the HDMI is not recognizing). Not Mcaffee

Their support looks pathetic, Ticket system only with no way to talk to someone. My system isn't specd for VR but would like to at least attempt it anyway.
They've already said there will be no support for a system that doesn't meet spec. I tried and gave up. Works fine on a Rift rdy system though.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They've already said there will be no support for a system that doesn't meet spec. I tried and gave up. Works fine on a Rift rdy system though.
Well fuck me sideways. Looks like it's going to get shelved until I update my system when GTX1080 launches. It's either that or ebay the thing.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
My PC got here just in time for me to leave for my roadtrip. I'm surprised how good Lucky's Tale plays and looks.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
"...the CV1 is otherwise a direct copy of the architecture of the 1080p Steam Sight prototype Valve lent Oculus when we installed a copy of the "Valve Room" at their headquarters. I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it..."

vk2zay comments on Oculus becoming bad for VR industry?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, Project Cars is having issues with the Rift? It looks like it's a known issue. I can't get mine to activate in the headset. Just the monitor.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
My Vive finally shipped, due here Thursday. Time to start tossing furniture out the window to make room. Do I reallyneedthat bed?

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I didn't really give a fuck about VR, but then I got to try out the Vive at a buddy's place. Now I'm looking at how to re-arrange my furniture, and how much money I can waste. =/

Based on pretty much no research, I came up with this bundle for $550:

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZ - Newegg.com
SanDisk 240GB SSD - 2.5 SDSSDA-240G-G25 - Newegg.com

Power/Case are taken care of, and as for the video card, I figure I'm not getting the Vive any time soon, so at some point between now and then I can pick up a GTX1080/1070/980TI.

Anything I'm being dumb about here? Or somewhere I could spend a little more money for some good gains? And primarily from a VR standpoint - I just have a normal 60hz monitor, so I figure everything here is already overkill on that.

Thoughts?

Desidero

N00b
I didn't really give a fuck about VR, but then I got to try out the Vive at a buddy's place. Now I'm looking at how to re-arrange my furniture, and how much money I can waste. =/

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZ - Newegg.com

Power/Case are taken care of, and as for the video card, I figure I'm not getting the Vive any time soon, so at some point between now and then I can pick up a GTX1080/1070/980TI.

Anything I'm being dumb about here? Or somewhere I could spend a little more money for some good gains? And primarily from a VR standpoint - I just have a normal 60hz monitor, so I figure everything here is already overkill on that.

Thoughts?
Unless you need the PC for something else in the meantime, don't buy parts until you're ready to get everything (video card and Vive). Prices always go down. New things always come out.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Thoughts?
Dunno what you have now, but CPU performance gains (as far as gaming is concerned) have been extremely minor the last few years. Video cards are still improving significantly from generation to generation. Compare your current CPU in some gaming benchmarks on Anandtech to see if it's worthwhile, might be better off dropping the money on a 1080.

velk

Trakanon Raider
it works ok for me - I have the Oculus version though, not the Steam version.
No issues here, Steam version.

I've had a few times when apps stop launching on the headset, usually fixed by rebooting. I blame the bucket of background shit that Oculus runs.

In answer to previous discussion - I don't think the Rift has a significant advantage for seated only stuff, it's more tradeoffs. Denser pixels or larger FOV ? Annoying nose gap or terrible headphone setup ? The visuals are pretty much the same for either, the weight difference is pretty much insignificant.

I usually use it for seated stuff that uses keyboard and mouse, mostly because I have both and that's pretty much all you can do with it, but project cars gets as much use in a loungeroom recliner on the vive.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Got my CV1, tried out a bunch of stuff. Set up Skyrim via VorpX and played it a bit.

Everything seems great but the resolution is just too low for me. It's a big improvement over DK2 in terms of pixel fill and the SDE, but there's no crispness to display and that low fidelity ruins it for me. Some of the other issues, Ex: the fresnel lens smear, FoV, little bit of judder etc aren't a big deal to me.

I'm going to ebay off my CV1 ASAP. I'd probably keep it to try out more stuff if it wasn't so valuable on Ebay and depreciating quickly.

VR is going to be a massive market, but I'll be waiting for the next iteration when we get ~4k displays.

Samsung Showcases 4K UHD Display For VR

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I think 4k is where it will be pixel-dense enough to not really notice the screen door effect. That being said, when I'm in the Vive and really into the experience, I don't notice it at all. The room scale experience on the Vive really outweighs the display shortcomings.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, some of the concepts are neat, like playing a game on a virtual big screen, but resolution is too low and you lose most text, etc.

Makes me wish I could swap out the display, or that future iterations are made to be upgradable.

Don't think I felt very good to begin with, but tried Project Cars and Elite finally and came away queasy for the first time. Not fun, lol. Also had a flickering horizontal line here and there, need to reseat all my cables or something.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I think 4k is where it will be pixel-dense enough to not really notice the screen door effect. That being said, when I'm in the Vive and really into the experience, I don't notice it at all. The room scale experience on the Vive really outweighs the display shortcomings.
The SDE isn't the problem for me. It's there if you look for it, but even if there was perfect pixel fill the resolution would still be too low. And if the 'screen' was finer but still noticeable it'd be fine. Your brain would hide it anyway.

You can barely get a sense of the impact of resolution here:
oculus rift simulator

The problem is that it's still occupying a fraction of your field of view on your monitor.

Really to get an idea of what 1200p looks like when it occupies your entire field of view, imagine having 9 monitors that operate at 400p each in front of you.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Dunno what you have now, but CPU performance gains (as far as gaming is concerned) have been extremely minor the last few years. Video cards are still improving significantly from generation to generation. Compare your current CPU in some gaming benchmarks on Anandtech to see if it's worthwhile, might be better off dropping the money on a 1080.
Off the top of my head, I think its an i5 2500. When I ran the SteamVR thing to check compatibility, it said it wasn't good enough, so I figure I'll just start over.

Unless you need the PC for something else in the meantime, don't buy parts until you're ready to get everything (video card and Vive). Prices always go down. New things always come out.
But it will be shiny and new, which will make me more attractive and popular! I really was just looking to get the machine set up and ready before the Vive arrives, so I don't have a $800 pile of hardware in the corner I can't use yet. But you make a good point, maybe I'll just wait a couple weeks and see what it looks like then.