Virtual Reality

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I need to stop looking at the bundle, I'm going to end up buying the damn thing.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You might look at the new windows headsets too. Cheaper (depending on model), easier setup (inside-out tracking so no lighthouses), lower specs required, better displays? and supposedly getting access to the SteamVR store within a week or something. Just saw that mentioned somewhere today. Oh here's something on it..

Hands-On With SteamVR and The Lab Through a Windows VR Headset

That's interesting, but I'm scared to pull the trigger on that until it's 100% supported. The main allure of the Vive is the steam library, but that price tag is very tempting, especially without having to do the lighthouse setup.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just ended up grabbing the Vive Black Friday deal for $599. Comes with the system, fallout 4 vr and the improved audio strap. Wanted to wait until V2, but can't help myself.

Siliconemelons

next full real matured generation is going to be insane - just playing skyrim vr on psvr I have "felt" the game - even have "thought about skyrim" in a passing daydream memory- this is odd, but the memory was "real" meaning I had my general spacial awareness etc. just as it was a "real place" memory- unlike all other games etc. where it was a memory "of the game" like looking at a video or something as a thought/memory - while skyrim it was an equivalent memory/though of a real place.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Put on a vive the other day. Screens look like dogshit.

VR is stupid.

why? you're taking a a 1080 image and wrapping it 360 degree's when the 4k headsets come out it should look normal.

the potential even with screen door effects on images is still really high.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I have a Pixel XL and the Daydream VR headset is on sale for $50. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth the price to mess around with for a simple VR experience while waiting for the more fully immersive stuff?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I have a Pixel XL and the Daydream VR headset is on sale for $50. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth the price to mess around with for a simple VR experience while waiting for the more fully immersive stuff?

I got the Daydream headset for free with my XL and it has been collecting dust for a long time. I didn't try much with it though, just YouTube and Netflix VR and the virtual museum Arts and Culture app.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zimtok all this guy does on Twitch is stream VR. He has played and reviewed over 300 games. He is probably the most prolific VR gamer there is.

So, I ask him, of all the various VR headsets and companies, which one is his recommendation. Without hesitation, he said Oculus. Surprised me, as I had assumed HTC Vive was the best out there, if you could afford it. He said Oculus has a new generation of units being announced in 2 weeks or so.