Volkswagen gets busted.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yes it is also an average and more old cars are being collected than previously.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Or no. Most people don't track gas mileage enough to care or give two shits (or even notice) if they suddenly lost any power other than an entire cylinder.
Who are these most people? Got some stats

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The fact that the top two selling vehicles in the US are the Ford F150 followed by the Chevrolet/GM Silverado/Sierra.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The issue is that in some states you won't be allowed to register that vehicle and legally drive it if it isn't passing the emission standards. People will be forced to do that software update in those states.
No, you dumbass that is specifically not the issue. If you made any effort at keeping up you'd see it was already covered that diesels don't get emissions testing here.

Or no. Most people don't track gas mileage enough to care or give two shits (or even notice) if they suddenly lost any power other than an entire cylinder.
I don't know bro. A bad cat can easily fuck up your performance enough that even a blonde would notice.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Who are these most people? Got some stats
Everything in this conversation is anecdotal. He's convinced smog testing is pointless post manufacturing because everyone will maintain their cars. I simply do not believe that is true and the fact that people can and do fail these tests supports that.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
No, you dumbass that is specifically not the issue. If you made any effort at keeping up you'd see it was already covered that diesels don't get emissions testing here.

I don't know bro. A bad cat can easily fuck up your performance enough that even a blonde would notice.
Hey dipshit, we already addressed that different states have different registration requirements. Welcome to the conversation.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Obvious news time:Audi and Skoda say 3.3m cars have 'cheat' emissions software - BBC News
Audi and Skoda (and, presumably, Seat as well) were also cheating. You know, what with them being mechanically the same cars and all.

Better news:Volkswagen: Ex-boss Winterkorn faces investigation - BBC News
Winterkorn's being investigated even after he quit.

The fact that the top two selling vehicles in the US are the Ford F150 followed by the Chevrolet/GM Silverado/Sierra.
Because they avoid a whole bunch of taxes (as they're classified as commercial vehicles rather than cars) so you get a lot of metal for the money.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Considering all the guys they fired so far. CEO, Heads of Audi and some other division, etc. But they're still in blame deflection phase, "someone messed up and someone will be held responsible! But I didn't know shit about it."

Whoever greenlighted this idea needs to just come out with it. Longer they wait the more fucked they are.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I predict we will start seeing more and more of this.

The digital age has made it so that nothing is "safe" any more if you can communicate with it via something interconnected to the internet. OBD/CAN weren't built with the future in mind and some of the things they do in the software are just enough to get it to work with the actual mechanical things. They never thought that people would be reading and writing from it.

I am in the middle of trying to get a startup running building universal OBD/CAN to bluetooth dongles for motorcycles and yeah it's crazy out there.

iannis

Musty Nester
Why would you need OBD readers on bluetooth? What function does that serve?

I'm not saying ur dum, you must have some specific function that serves. I just can't think of what it is, is all.

Edit: does it just make it easier to push the data around to your mechanic / the internet for service calls?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I have one and they're actually really nice. Plug the reader into the car, get an app on your phone and you can see all the diagnostic stuff that you would normally have to bring it to a mechanic for.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

I'm not saying ur dum, you must have some specific function that serves. I just can't think of what it is, is all.

Edit: does it just make it easier to push the data around to your mechanic / the internet for service calls?
For my use? Output engine data to a smartphone on the handlebars and show real time engine data that most motorcycles do not show. Useful data like RPM's.

What else? Data logging to use to crunch numbers on later.

Automatic: Connect Your Car to Your Digital Lifeis killing it financially in this space right now.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
good luck with that dude. sounds neat. bikers probably don't get much techie love
Yeah the market has so much potential just need to get it off the floor first
biggrin.png

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Because they avoid a whole bunch of taxes (as they're classified as commercial vehicles rather than cars) so you get a lot of metal for the money.
You saying all trucks are commercial vehicles?
da fuq?

I have one and they're actually really nice. Plug the reader into the car, get an app on your phone and you can see all the diagnostic stuff that you would normally have to bring it to a mechanic for.
Yeah I got one too. I pretty much just use it to grab engine codes on my old commercial vehicle (AKA a pickup truck)

What app do you use? I have torque. Still thinking about going for the paid version.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
You saying all trucks are commercial vehicles?
da fuq?
No, he said they are classified as commercial vehicles. Which they are. As such trucks (and SUVs) not only avoid car restrictions, they also are not typically as safe as cars since they don't require the same safety standards as cars.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Uh isn't it something like only trUcks over four tons are exempt from passenger car regulations and all SUVs are automatically passenger vehicles anyway?