Volkswagen gets busted.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Except that depending on what modifications they have done its easy to reset it to factory get tested and then put it back. When I lived in California and did racing and ran with that crowd I saw it every single day.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't get what you're talking about Chanur. The tests at the factory and the tests out in the wild are the same. They were designed to beat that test knowing how the test was ran. Are you complaining about state emissions tests in general?

If X state agency comes to the lab and tests your shit when you know exactly what the test is and how it is proctored it isn't that hard to beat. Let alone when you've designed your product to beat the test you know is coming.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Yes I don't like California's emission testing system nor emissions testing in general really. I don't think its needed. I think some auditors to randomly test vehicles to make sure manufacturers are adhering to regulation would be fine.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Chanur is just raging because he has to swap out his long tubes every two years to keep his car passing emissions.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yes I don't like California's emission testing system nor emissions testing in general really. I don't think its needed. I think some auditors to randomly test vehicles to make sure manufacturers are adhering to regulation would be fine.
So you don't believe in the need to maintain these smog systems past the show room floor? Most people won't know when their smog pump breaks or their Cats are old/damaged and need replacing.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
So you don't believe in the need to maintain these smog systems past the show room floor? Most people won't know when their smog pump breaks or their Cats are old/damaged and need replacing.
They absolutely will as all modern cars tell you if anything happens to the emissions system.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
In modern cars maybe but there are a hell of a lot of older cars still on the road that don't. Hell, most people tend to ignore the Check Engine light until the car stops in the middle of the freeway.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
In modern cars maybe but there are a hell of a lot of older cars still on the road that don't. Hell, most people tend to ignore the Check Engine light until the car stops in the middle of the freeway.
Depends on how old. After a certain point cars are not required to be smog checked anyway, at least in California.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Depends on how old. After a certain point cars are not required to be smog checked anyway, at least in California.
If it was built before 76 they are exempt, if the car is newer than 6 years old it is exempt. There are plenty that fall into the non exempt range.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
That is why I said it depends on how old. Its likely if they had a bunch of extra money they would not be driving a 20 year old shit bucket. So what is your point?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Depends on whats wrong. Faulty emissions equipment can lower power and gas mileage. So...yes.
Or no. Most people don't track gas mileage enough to care or give two shits (or even notice) if they suddenly lost any power other than an entire cylinder.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
That is why I said it depends on how old. Its likely if they had a bunch of extra money they would not be driving a 20 year old shit bucket. So what is your point?
You are making no sense. The people without money are the ones driving the old cars that may have failing/failed smog equipment. They are also the ones that don't have the money to keep their car in tip top shape. The people with no money will very willingly skip repairing smog equipment as long as their car still gets them to and from work. Which is why smog testing of cars is necessary.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
You are making no sense. The people without money are the ones driving the old cars that may have failing/failed smog equipment. They are also the ones that don't have the money to keep their car in tip top shape. The people with no money will very willingly skip repairing smog equipment as long as their car still gets them to and from work. Which is why smog testing of cars is necessary.
You are the one making no sense. The average age of cars on the road today is 11.4 years. That means cars that were made since OBDII has come out. That means if there is anything wrong with their emissions equipment there will be warning lights and possibly limp modes depending on the vehicle. People that cannot afford to take care of their cars do not keep their cars on the road forever because they break and cannot repair them. They are a small contributor and are being phased out normally by newer vehicles or lack of funds. So I ask again why is the smog tax necessary and why does it need to be much stricter in California?

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
No but you seem to assume every check engine light affects emissions.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Also that 11.4 years is a record high so people are keeping old cars longer, not phasing them out in favor of new cars. It is totally unrealistic to expect that a single smog test over the lifetime of a vehicle, when it is brand new no less, is adequate to control emissions.