Volkswagen gets busted.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The'yre going to deny they had any knowledge of it of course. Surely it was a junior engineer in each division that masterminded this whole thing!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You know no matter what they'll do a new software update to your car if you take it to a dealer.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I never saw the appeal to a diesel car. Of course I remember when GM tried it in the 80's and it was a gigantic disaster. I have a diesel truck made before they changed the rules on diesels and introduced ultra low sulfur diesel. It gets 19mpg highway, 17 while towing a pretty good size trailer and tow 10,000 pounds max. Torque, I just don't see the interest for that in a car.
No, I don't think they will. Dealers have to please their customers or we will go somewhere else for our next car. Even if someone passes a law saying they must, they will tell the customer first giving us a chance to leave.

The appeal is 40+ MPG and fuel prices that, while it's currently more expensive, stays a lot more stable.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No surprise here. I wonder just how many will get fired.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0fde8b0d157a9
"I guess their execs did......Nazi this coming??"

rrr_img_110307.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I guess I'm old fashioned. I never saw the appeal to a diesel car. Of course I remember when GM tried it in the 80's and it was a gigantic disaster. I have a diesel truck made before they changed the rules on diesels and introduced ultra low sulfur diesel. It gets 19mpg highway, 17 while towing a pretty good size trailer and tow 10,000 pounds max. Torque, I just don't see the interest for that in a car.
Horsepower vs. Torque

?You know, a lot of people buy horsepower, when what they really want is torque,? Hubbard told me. ?Torque is what gets you to the speed you want quickly; horsepower is what keeps you there.?

The concept of horsepower as a measurement of work was identified in the 1800s by steam engine pioneer James Watt, who ponied up the term based on his observation of horses working in a mill. It?s an arcane concept that has stuck with us to this day.

Torque, on the other hand, is the twisting, rotational force generated by an engine; this force is transferred through the drive system into the wheels. Torque is what pushes you back in the seat when you step on the accelerator.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
No, I don't think they will. Dealers have to please their customers or we will go somewhere else for our next car. Even if someone passes a law saying they must, they will tell the customer first giving us a chance to leave.

The appeal is 40+ MPG and fuel prices that, while it's currently more expensive, stays a lot more stable.
The issue is that in some states you won't be allowed to register that vehicle and legally drive it if it isn't passing the emission standards. People will be forced to do that software update in those states.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Really this is California's fault. If the CARB stuff was not so insane it would be much less of a problem to have diesel here. Emissions testing is a huge scam in California. I used to watch shops intentionally cause people to fail so they could slap a 100-200 dollar repair fee on them then send them on their way. It really is the worst.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Really this is California's fault. If the CARB stuff was not so insane it would be much less of a problem to have diesel here. Emissions testing is a huge scam in California. I used to watch shops intentionally cause people to fail so they could slap a 100-200 dollar repair fee on them then send them on their way. It really is the worst.
So, because the rules are strict, its the rulemakers fault that companies try to rig the results?

And because there are unscrupulous emissions testing facilities, we should just do away with emissions testing?

Wow. Interesting points sir.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Go suck an exhaust pipe.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
So, because the rules are strict, its the rulemakers fault that companies try to rig the results?

And because there are unscrupulous emissions testing facilities, we should just do away with emissions testing?

Wow. Interesting points sir.
Yes. Set emissions standards at the factory and stop ass fucking people every year. Crazy right.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yes. Set emissions standards at the factory and stop ass fucking people every year. Crazy right.

Try not to get beheaded today Shitzena.
Crazy in the sense that it wouldn't work, yes.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Crazy in the sense that it wouldn't work, yes.
Except it does as emissions testing is not everywhere. I didn't see Washington state, California, or Texas fail because of lack of emissions testing. None of those states have testing everywhere. The federal regulation has done more to curb carbon emissions than smog testing ever has.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Except it does as emissions testing is not everywhere. I didn't see Washington state, California, or Texas fail because of lack of emissions testing. None of those states have testing everywhere. The federal regulation has done more to curb carbon emissions than smog testing ever has.
Texas has emissions testing in all the densely populated counties. I don't know about the other states but just going HURR DURR testing not needed! derp isn't any kind of answer to VW systematically lying to the EPA regarding their emissions.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I never said to excuse VW. You are making assumptions all over the fucking place . All smog testing is doing is checking that the car is still meeting federal or state guidelines. There are millions of cars on the road that are exempt from the testing and things are still getting better because of federal regulation. I just don't think its particularly useful and all you have done to show that its needed is HURR DURR at me. Smog testing facilities did not catch VW a lab did.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I never said to excuse VW.
Oh ok, so in the "VW gets busted" thread, you say "it's california's fault", but you didn't say to excuse VW. Ok.

Smog testing facilities did not catch VW a lab did.
True but if you "set emissions at the factory" and never test again, whats to stop large scale modification once the restrictions become too onerous? The emissions in fact are set at the factory, AND the cars are tested. They go hand in hand it's not either/or.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
You can have periodic testing by labs/inspectors to ensure manufacturers are not cheating like in every single other industry in the world. You do not need to saddle the end user with it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You can have periodic testing by labs/inspectors to ensure manufacturers are not cheating like in every single other industry in the world. You do not need to saddle the end user with it.
What about when an end-user is able to modify the vehicle so it no long is within the guidelines you want set/enforced at the factories?