VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Vorph Vorph There must still be headset volume controls somewhere in version 2. Aren't they along the bottom of the actual visor now or something like that?

I'm debating buying a boom mic stand for $20 on Amazon. That would give you the extra height option and be portable.

Is there a specific cable that needs to be used for the camera extension? I thought it was just a 3.0 USB male-female or something like that. Around $15 for 10 feet.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vorph Vorph There must still be headset volume controls somewhere in version 2. Aren't they along the bottom of the actual visor now or something like that?

I'm debating buying a boom mic stand for $20 on Amazon. That would give you the extra height option and be portable.

Is there a specific cable that needs to be used for the camera extension? I thought it was just a 3.0 USB male-female or something like that. Around $15 for 10 feet.
I'll have to look again, but from what I saw on reddit it seemed like there isn't a volume control anymore.

Boom mic stand would work, but I'd need the extension for sure. This is what Best Buy used to sell before they discontinued it: https://smile.amazon.com/InsigniaTM-6-5-Camera-Extension-Cable-PlayStation/dp/B01H0216NU . It's some proprietary thing, definitely not USB. After 350 for the PSVR and another 40 for a charging stand that shouldn't fry my controllers, I'm really not in the mood to give some price gouging asshat $25-35 for a 2m cable.

Your height in game is determined by your race I believe.
I'm playing a high elf, so I don't think that's it. Altmer are the tallest race in the game, and first person mode in vanilla Skyrim always used 1.0 scale for player height regardless of race anyway. All the people in the first town look like they're about 4' tall, when I go into shops I feel like a kid peering over the counter, etc.

I've been reading r/PSVR and there's a ton of conflicting information out there, especially regarding optimal camera height. Some people say put it high up looking down, others say it should be eye level or else it messes up the FOV... about the only thing they seem to agree on is that you never put it below eye level.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You don't need to buy a PSVR. You don't need to buy a PSVR. You don't need to buy a PSVR. You don't need to buy a PSVR. You don't need to buy a PSVR. You don't need to buy a PSVR. You don't need to buy a PSVR.

4EwqG8s.jpg

Why'd it have to be Skyrim?! My one and only weakness!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yeah I bought that cable from Best Buy when they were closing it out for less than $10 I think. Strange they'd stop carrying them when PSVR is selling better than ever. (this was months ago)

I generally have my camera set only a little higher than I am and slightly pointing down when I'm playing seated. When you hold down the PS button you can go into the options to have it show you where your camera is pointing. You just want to make sure you're in the middle and that you can go full range with the moves if you're using them. You'll also want to take note of any reflections in that picture because the lights on the headset can reflect off of something behind you that will confuse the tracking. (that and shit like blue charging lights on other electronics in the path could cause issues)

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Sony clearly has the worst tracking for VR, but in my experience if you fuck with it enough you can get it to work reliably. Hopefully PSVR 2.0 just steals room scale and adds some inside/out to go with it or something and the next move controllers are more like the knuckle controllers.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can someone with a VR setup (especially PSVR) tell me if this virtual tour works in VR?

www.pbsenv.com/uas/vr

I don't know how any of the VR stuff works and I don't really have a way to test it, but I added a "Start VR" button on the control panel on the left.
PhtBhLx.jpg

Vorph

That's a WebVR app, so it definitely won't work with PSVR. AFAIK the only web-based VR the PS4 supports is YouTube's.

Oculus and HTC should view it fine.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The V2 headset has a volume button switch. It's under the visor near the power button. It looks like a 4 way switch but only does three things, volume up/down, mute/unmute toggle.

psvrv2-4.jpg

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Amazon has the destiny 2 pro bundle for $350, so guess who just justified getting a pro for slightly improved PSVR visuals! I’ll dump destiny since I own already and sell my og PS4. Can’t beat about $100 out of pocket to upgrade to pro! Skyrim is going to be even better!!

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So yeah, Skyrim is incredible at least on the Pro. Been using the moves the last few days. I really hate the lack of smooth turning but since they're supposedly patching that in I figure I'll stick with them. I really enjoy them for immersion, spell casting, and bow use.

Smooth turning and a backup button maybe.

Siliconemelons

Okay foh bros...

Still haven't opened the PS4 yet, and I have the receipt from target- gift cards were used so- gift cards I will get...

I do not play much, skyrim, bridge crew and the tombraider game as most likely all I will play on VR.. On screen I am not picky...

Is the pro worth 150$? I could have them price match bestbuy 350$ or see if target does their 15% of all cyber monday...

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Tomb Raider isn't really a VR game. RE7 is a must play in VR though and there are a shit ton of great VR games already out. I'm not sure its worth the extra $150 if you aren't going to play it much. I upgraded a release day PS4 to a Pro last year for about $180. To me it was totally worth it.

Vorph

I did that too, it was worth it just to get a fresh warranty, bigger/better HD (though it's unfortunate that the Pro's SATA-3 is bottlenecked elsewhere), and a v2 DS4. My TV is 1080p and I really don't care about 4K checkerboard anyway. Wish every game had the Pro options that Ni-oh does.

I'm pretty torn on Skyrim VR. For every time there's something really impressive from the VR there's another where I'm wishing I was just playing it on my PC with a couple hundred mods. Indoors, the immersion is really great, especially in caves and ruins. Outdoors and in towns the draw distance and ultra low quality character models are a rather large distraction. Still looking forward to getting RE7 again (quit about 1/4 of the way to wait for VR) and checking out Superhot and then The Inpatient in January.

Siliconemelons

Okay, I suppose I am good with the normal PS4. I was watching a switch vs ps4 skyrim vid and... well... switch looked fine for me :) lol

Again I don't get to play much, I most likely will be playing bridge crew the most.

I got tombraider it said VR mode... whatever that means- but people say it's a good game anywho.

I spent more on the skyrim bundle psvr than the normal just the headset so... I'll be good with that.

I got a Xbox one and have played 1 game on it, halo collection- and I haven't gotten through 1 yet...

Damn kids

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Fuck target cyber Monday... ps4 returned (and controller) and pro ordered 15% + 5% red card and the $ from the return... also got their media remote for 20$ and the controller for same 39$ + 15% off... so I wait some more for free delivery...

Bestbuy was better with 50 off and destiny - but I would barely play it or resell it... but I had 215$ in target gift card with the return, so I have to stay target.

Oh well...

Bridge crew came in, so I am excited :) and skyrim!!

Thursday.... Thursday....

Woffer

Lord Nagafen Raider
So i got a Skyrim and the PSVR during cyber monday. It didn't come with the move controllers though. Is it worth getting a pair for skyrim alone or should i skip it? Any other titles where it's a must have?