VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
VR is the future and we are just beginning. The experience would bring a fucking switch indie game to life. Let alone how awesome it is to be in a game like Skyrim. What we need are more games like this. Make every game VR supported and play how you want.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you get Google Earth VR on the non-PC setups? It has become one of my favorite VR applications on the Vive as of late. It's endlessly fun to explore the world. Comes with streetview now, and it's free.

Talos Principle has a proper VR version now too and it's excellent.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Siliconemelons Siliconemelons Yes that’s it and I have them. They are great. Perform exactly as intended and you can’t even tell they are there. Should come standard with the headset really. Essential.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Nice - thanks.

Co worker that has a 3D printer is making me a set from the reddit link.

Skyrim bundle comes with the 2.0 headset- fyi if anyone cares.

And wow it has TONS more room inside for glasses than HTC or rift - also forehead and back head mount is WAY more comfortable than pressing the damn thing into your face- and the psVR is light as hell and a thin cable (I think the cable is a 2.0 improvement)

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Got one! Picked up Farpoint too. RE7 was out of stock. Best buy had a stack of fucking 50 bundles. About 30 of them were Gran Turismo bundles. Plenty of Skyrims.

The kids and even the wife are freaking out over the multiplayer demo stuff where you are interacting with the person in the VR helmet. Shit is way more fun than i thought it would be.

That said, the cord is about 4 ft too short to use the sofa. Sucks. I'll have to drag in a lounge chair or something.

• 2Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Okay, the new VR box is pretty cool. If you do research you will see that the older one doesn't pass through HDR and if you want to use headphones with 3d audio, you can do that, but you can't do headphones AND play audio for those watching.

The new VR box (in the Skyrim bundle) not only passes through HDR (Taking peoples word on that one, I don't have a HDR projector at the moment) but it DOES pass through the audio. The person in the headset can use headphones (plugged into the jack) and the receiver (in hdmi audio mode) will also play sound for those watching.

My oldest kid just put 4 hours into Skyrim VR this morning. Looks rad.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

on that video about PSVR vs HTC it mentioned in the quasi-room view as the PSVR uses the camera and they said something like you cannot turn all the way around because the light sensors or whatever- but there are light indicators on the back of the PSVR- so that should not be a problem?

Now to find bridge crew for ps4 on sale...while I wait for my PS4 - I plugged my WiiU into the headset to watch in cienama mode and with my glasses off as I am freaked out I will scratch up my PSVR till I install those little things (that my co worker did print today, I just gatta go get them) - it looked okay, but again...a wiiU is not that great of source signal anywho lol playing zelda botw

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
on that video about PSVR vs HTC it mentioned in the quasi-room view as the PSVR uses the camera and they said something like you cannot turn all the way around because the light sensors or whatever- but there are light indicators on the back of the PSVR- so that should not be a problem?

Correct I never had an issue, and I have been completely 100% backwards to the camera a lot of the times (After I take the set off my head and realize I pulled a 180 and didn't even know lol)

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
That said, the cord is about 4 ft too short to use the sofa. Sucks. I'll have to drag in a lounge chair or something.

Don't be too proud to use a long micro USB cord, and drag the VR pass-thru box into the middle of the floor. Of course if you're too far from the camera you get other issues ;)

I'm lazy, and decide to sit and play, so I had to move my camera to the floor, haven't had any tracking problems since.

• 2Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
VR is the future and we are just beginning. The experience would bring a fucking switch indie game to life. Let alone how awesome it is to be in a game like Skyrim. What we need are more games like this. Make every game VR supported and play how you want.

VR will be niche for quite a while. They really have to scale down the size of the goggles and up the resolution for mass acceptance. That and they need killer must have apps.

I have one of those S8 Occulus VR setups, and have messed around with a friend's Vive. Such a cool experience for 8 hours, then you realize the games are mostly just tech demos witthout any long term appeal.

Skyrim is a great start. I might have to finally buy into a Vive. Was hoping to wait until generation 2 but from the sounds of it that will be 2019 or later.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I agree on the games. Albeit Skyrim and also really sent evil 2. Tethered was pretty fun as well, but yeah also a lot of tech demos and experiences. Cool none the less, but more full games would be fun. Pretty sure people thought VR would be better enjoyed in short bursts.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I really enjoy RIGS and Thumper in long play sessions. Definitely need to get RE7 and Skyrim. Lots of games are very enjoyable in VR even when they don't support it, too, it's like playing on a movie screen. No man's sky is much better that way.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Just a heads up - if you already have Dirty Rally like I do, you can get the VR addon for $13. It features a codriver mode which is going to lead to a certain divorce for me. My wife can't give directions for shit.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Managed to play Skyrim fine for a couple hours with the gamepad using smooth movement. Snap turning was awful, and I have no idea what the point of those weird ass FOV options is. It just constricts the viewport when you move or turn. The only time I started to feel sick was when I looked straight down at a stream of water. Something about the way the textures are animated to fake the water's movement took me from like 2/10 to 7/10 nausea instantly.

Some other issues:

Gold headset plugged into the PSVR using the 3.5mm jack like it tells you to is way too quiet. Anyone know a fix for that, or if it's possible to use the usb dongle wireless and still get the correct positional audio from the VR? Putting it on over the PSVR isn't all that comfortable anyway, so I might just use my room speakers or try out the IEMs that came with it.

Also, is it normal to have to look down to the point where chin hits chest in order to see the compass/POI bar? I'm kind of feeling like the view is zoomed in or something has messed up the FOV. I think I set it all up correctly though, and the camera is about 5' away from me at the moment. I am having a moire/rainbow effect on white text that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how I adjust the thing on my head though, so maybe I did do something wrong...

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
The issue people have with turning 180 from the camera is, afaik, not the headset tracking, its the ds4/moves/AIM can't be seen by the camera for games that it matters.

Vorph did you use the in-line volume buttons on the VR cable? That's how I boosted my volume up. The volume control on the headphones themselves don't seem to do anything when using the PSVR. Also, that shimmering could be due to your IPD setting. Did you go in and adjust the eye distance setting? I have to look down a bit to see my compass too, but not THAT much. Not sure why it would be doing that to you. Shouldn't be camera-distance related since the UI is static. How high off the floor is your camera mounted? Could simply be the angle. Mine is 7 feet.

Last edited:

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Was hoping to wait until generation 2 but from the sounds of it that will be 2019 or later.

Yep, the low resolution is definitely a turn off, but I'll probably be buying in to the next gen stuff. Assuming they keep making full games and not little side ones / tech demos :p

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vorph did you use the in-line volume buttons on the VR cable? That's how I boosted my volume up. The volume control on the headphones themselves don't seem to do anything when using the PSVR. Also, that shimmering could be due to your IPD setting. Did you go in and adjust the eye distance setting? I have to look down a bit to see my compass too, but not THAT much. Not sure why it would be doing that to you. Shouldn't be camera-distance related since the UI is static. How high off the floor is your camera mounted? Could simply be the angle. Mine is 7 feet.
Inline volume is a v1 thing I think. I don't see anything like that on either the cable or the passthrough box. And yeah, that's the problem. When you plug the headphones in via 3.5mm they aren't powered at all, and the VR doesn't seem to have enough of an amp to drive them. Oh well, the IEMs aren't bad and neither is just using normal speakers really, but it's kind of disappointing that I can't use the positional audio effects that the gold headset is capable of.

I adjusted IPD and apparently my eyes are a bit closer together than the average person's. Not really sure it did anything noticeable in game though. My camera is 5' off the ground and my eye level while playing is roughly 4'. I still feel like something is wrong, like I'm a midget and so is everyone else in the world. I'm going to try to setup something for playing standing up, but no time to mess with that until the weekend at least. I have a tripod and could mount the camera using a cell phone bracket but there's no way a normal tripod is getting up to 6 or 7 feet off the ground. I'd have to do a wall mount for that. I'm also certain the camera cord isn't long enough for that, and I'm not sure where to find an extension cable either (that isn't being sold by some asshole on Amazon at $25 for a 2m extension).