VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
What resolve, you could have bought the skyrim bundle (and still maybe can) for like $325. Shit is easily worth it, best gaming experience of my life and I wasn't a big Skyrim fan at all.

Moves are the best way to play this game imo. DS4 works fine too, but the moves are more immersive imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm hesitant to try the move controllers because while controlling my own hands seems sweet, actual movement sounds clunky. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hell the GT bundle is still sub 200, tempting but I don't think I'd use it enough to warrant it.

• 1Solidarity

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
PSVR is better than you think. It was for me. I'd snag the Skyrim version personally, but if you can get some super deal and then get skyrim/controllers then whatever.

Movement in VR with the move controllers is 100% fine, yeah you wish you had those analog sticks but everything else is so much better it's worth it. You do have to give it time though, don't expect to love it right away. Having individual control of your hands is just so much better imo.

You'll have to fuck with the camera turn speed and shit like that to get it the way you like it with the Moves but it's worth it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I played a hacked together VR experience in Skyrim a year or two ago with VorpX, my two big problems with it were
1: first person melee combat with VR was pretty awkward since it felt like I was hugging the mobs.
2. In VR everything looks low resolution, even at the highest resolution.

How do those two issues fare in the new VR skyrim?

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played a hacked together VR experience in Skyrim a year or two ago with VorpX, my two big problems with it were
1: first person melee combat with VR was pretty awkward since it felt like I was hugging the mobs.
2. In VR everything looks low resolution, even at the highest resolution.

How do those two issues fare in the new VR skyrim?

1. Melee combat is still awkward, but I don't feel like I'm hugging the mobs. Spell casting is awesome however.
2. It definitely looks like a game from 5-10 years ago with things up close, but it's good enough that to me it's still very immersive and I don't even pay attention to it any more.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm hesitant to try the move controllers because while controlling my own hands seems sweet, actual movement sounds clunky. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

it is but you get use to it and then the clunk mostly goes away, the new turn controls are way better. Going pure caster but to check it out I tried archery, good times once I got down the motion. Nailing head shots with no retical 50 yards out is rewarding on a level never before experienced.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wish I could have figured out what it is other people see in it, but I'm packing up my PSVR to return to Amazon right now. In theory I could keep it long enough to play The Inpatient before the return window closes, but I've lost pretty much all the hype I had for it now.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Wish I could have figured out what it is other people see in it, but I'm packing up my PSVR to return to Amazon right now. In theory I could keep it long enough to play The Inpatient before the return window closes, but I've lost pretty much all the hype I had for it now.

I'll give you 3.50

• 1Salty

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got move controllers for Christmas. After about an hour in Skyrim, they are starting to feel more natural. Very immersive. Love them in other games I’ve tried too (Rush of Blood, tumbler, the heist demo game, rec room) . Highly recommended.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Most of the last few pages are PS4 related. Anything of note for the PC variants? I'm considering blowing some cash, but would prefer to get one of the sets for PC (OR or Vive).

Wanted some info from you bros before delving too deep.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Personally I'm just waiting for new better versions of the PC VR headsets before buying anything. I assume this year(2018 I mean) or maybe the first half of next year they'll have something new to sell, maybe, and it feels it'd be a waste of money to spend on a headset currently. PSVR is a bit different due to the lower price point and shit. I still need to buy a new PC too and probably will do that once I move near the end of the year, before that no real point.

• 1Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Personally I'm just waiting for new better versions of the PC VR headsets before buying anything. I assume this year(2018 I mean) or maybe the first half of next year they'll have something new to sell, maybe, and it feels it'd be a waste of money to spend on a headset currently. PSVR is a bit different due to the lower price point and shit. I still need to buy a new PC too and probably will do that once I move near the end of the year, before that no real point.

This is the vibe i am getting also.
I've never been a console guy though so i'd have to grab a PS4 as well, which would drive the costs up.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah at this point if you aren't in, I would wait for PC unlless you have a PS4 or PS Pro which you don't. I am sure they will have a higher res Vive around the corner, and wireless as well.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Yeah, on the PC front I would wait and see what the next waves are doing. The "mixed reality" headsets are kind of VR Gen 1.5 - if you consider OR and VIVE Gen 1. They are showing that you can make headsets for cheap and good - and that refinement in older tracking tech is as good and simpler to setup vs new VR specific stuff like the 15 usbs needed for room scale etc lol.

Gen 2 imo is 18 or 19 easy - resolution up, setup and standardization gets easier (this was the big thing for ms mixreality stuffs) and hopefully the hardware barrier goes down i if ati and nvid make more and cheaper vr specific cards that will helpm

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

It takes some time to understand skyrim interface controlls with the moves... and not all commands are listed on screen... but it does work out nicely once you spend some time.

Shooting bows is insanely satisfying - it's hard not to just shoot everyone in the head for fun.

I killed a chicken and some dude got piiiiiisssed so I shot him in the head and there were no other witnesses - then the blacksmith uncle of the dude from the intro comes out and is like "oh gods no! Ohhh" haha I am like "umm.. Off to my quest for you bro, peace"

Also..

EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone

Space VR bros!