VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Late 2018 at best. But, rumors have the next HTC Vive pushing 4k.
I agree. I'd be surprised if anything big comes out 2018, but it's possible.

To me the big question is whether gen2 has foveated rendering, which is a huge enabler of VR.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
HTC unveils higher-resolution Vive Pro VR headset with built-in headphones
TC is refreshing its Vive headset with a new Pro model today. The original Vive debuted nearly two years ago, and the new Vive Pro is clearly designed to address some of the complaints of that earlier headset. HTC is increasing the resolution of the dual-OLED displays to 2880 x 1600 (1400 x 1600 per eye, and 615 ppi), a 78 percent increase from the 2160 x 1200 (1080 x 1200 per eye) resolution in the current Vive. This resolution increase should help with clearer text rendering and overall graphics, and the bump puts the Vive Pro beyond the Oculus Rift or Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

no mention of pricing yet, i'll be at CES tomorrow and will check it out and see how it compares to Rift/PSVR (own both)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wish they announced a nice upgrade program too ;)

Nice that you only need to buy the headset though if you're a current owner.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
no mention of pricing yet, i'll be at CES tomorrow and will check it out and see how it compares to Rift/PSVR (own both)

I want to know if they've reworked how it sits on your head at all. Something more like this would be what I would like to see. I've also heard good things about the PS4 VR headset and how it sits but I've never had the chance to try it out myself.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I want to know if they've reworked how it sits on your head at all. Something more like this would be what I would like to see. I've also heard good things about the PS4 VR headset and how it sits but I've never had the chance to try it out myself.

Looks pretty much like that.

Vive_Pro_Profile.png

From your link, since it's a nice direct comparison:

20170529_210217-100724153-large.jpg

Last edited:

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I happen to work for a Trade Show (industry, not public shows) production company, my owner ( and me) are interested in using VR as a way to expand our conferences (says there's two conferences at the same time you want to attend, for an extra 30 bucks you can watch the other in VR later). Possibly even to use VR to display the trade show floor. Maybe even use these camera for 3d facial recognition for Attendee/exhibitor registration?

What do you guys think of this idea? What kind of Camera would we need? Would people be interested in it? Honestly I like the idea as a backdoor to getting myself a high end VR headset but I think it has potential also..

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
HTC unveils higher-resolution Vive Pro VR headset with built-in headphones
TC is refreshing its Vive headset with a new Pro model today. The original Vive debuted nearly two years ago, and the new Vive Pro is clearly designed to address some of the complaints of that earlier headset. HTC is increasing the resolution of the dual-OLED displays to 2880 x 1600 (1400 x 1600 per eye, and 615 ppi), a 78 percent increase from the 2160 x 1200 (1080 x 1200 per eye) resolution in the current Vive. This resolution increase should help with clearer text rendering and overall graphics, and the bump puts the Vive Pro beyond the Oculus Rift or Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

Pricing should be fairly obvious that it's gonna be a lot, since they called this "pro", which generally means "at least 50% more expensive". Sounds good though and what I was hoping they'd do, I'll consider buying one later this year after I move and upgrade my PC.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thw probem is your already getting to the point where newer AAA VR games require a card superior to an RX 580 or 6mb GTX 1060, This headset sounds awesome but it's going to be the most niche of niche items.

spronk

FPS noob
So I happen to work for a Trade Show (industry, not public shows) production company, my owner ( and me) are interested in using VR as a way to expand our conferences (says there's two conferences at the same time you want to attend, for an extra 30 bucks you can watch the other in VR later). Possibly even to use VR to display the trade show floor. Maybe even use these camera for 3d facial recognition for Attendee/exhibitor registration?

What do you guys think of this idea? What kind of Camera would we need? Would people be interested in it? Honestly I like the idea as a backdoor to getting myself a high end VR headset but I think it has potential also..

i mean unless you like work for Adultex or something I imagine 99% of your conference attendees only go because (1) the company pays for it (2) they wanna learn new stuff that will help them make more money (3) they are using it as an excuse to bang remote work friends at nice locations away from their spouse.

I'm sure you can sell your boss on doing it, its really not super difficult you need to buy new VR camera sets and stuff (if you attend CES you can easily see it all demo'd) and then film it and publish it for various headsets (GearVR, phone, Rift, Steam. PSVR, etc) and people can use it but again I suspect for the vast majority of industries its a gimmick that sounds easy to pitch but no one will actually bother trying it for more than 5 mins.

Here's an example of one of the 6 depth of field cameras you can record VR sessions with
NextVR is making its VR recordings of live events feel much more realistic

Siliconemelons

HTC VIVE Raises The Bar For Premium VR With New VIVE PRO Upgrade And Wireless VIVE Adaptor

Yeall beat me to it - but here is the gen 1.5 I mentioned - not quite 4k per eye, but more and cleaning up issues and making enchantments.

The power houses needed to work these things is still an issue as stated above.

I still like the head mounting of the psVR and the fact it is light, very light and slides forward so I can check my phone etc. Without taking off the headset.

• 1Like

Ramar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thw probem is your already getting to the point where newer AAA VR games require a card superior to an RX 580 or 6mb GTX 1060, This headset sounds awesome but it's going to be the most niche of niche items.

I imagine they'll keep the rendering resolution the same and just upscale the output at the HMD. I hope so anyway... Like you said, most gaming graphics cards won't be able to render that resolution natively at 90fps without frame reprojection or some other trickery that hinders the experience.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I imagine they'll keep the rendering resolution the same and just upscale the output at the HMD. I hope so anyway... Like you said, most gaming graphics cards won't be able to render that resolution natively at 90fps without frame reprojection or some other trickery that hinders the experience.
Yep, they should be able to upscale for good results.

Until they get good foveated rendering we won't get a crisp looking VR system that can run on current hardware. Maybe we'll just wait till Moore's Law drags hardware quality up to 3x as much power as we have now.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

This comparison is a bit retarded, but from what I can tell they can read the fourth line on a Vive, and the eighth line on a Vive pro.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

right isn't the pro, but is an odyssey which is the same resolution as the pro.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
zap.png

Tattoos! Campions and Purslanes in honour of house of suns

I'm getting pretty good at avatar making / converting if anyone likes VR chat. It is slow though.

Let me know if anyone sees any kind of sales or deals on VR stuff. I think I'd like to get the lowest end possible right now, then eventually something with enough res I could code in it.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Heads have been patted, things have been pointed at. Bad commander Shep dancing has happened. A very large headache arrived.

I didn't have enough USB slots, and I had to unplug a monitor, and the trackers are set up haphazardly because the cables are too short. And I keep slamming my hands into things, but it is a good time.

The Kinect body tracking isn't working yet. It puts my legs sideways.

Also my arms and legs are both too long in game so when I stretch my arms completely out they are still crooked. And when standing straight my knees are still kinda bent. Seems like a common problem.