VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been watching this Giantbomb stream for a few hours now and I feel like I definitely do not need to have one right now, which is sad to me.
"Sad", lol wasn't it? The guys just weren't really enthusiastic about any of the content they tried. The games out rightnow are pretty shitty with shitty graphics and zero replayability other then to show off VR to friends/family. However there are a ton demos and stuff you can try, so i doubt anyone will get bored by VR anytime soon (contrary to Kinect / Wii).

I decided to wait with the purchase till after summer and build a new rig when the new generation of graphic cards are out and i don't have to wait months for my order to ship. Till then i may get a sense on how the different systems will evolve and which gets the must have killer apps and games.

spronk

FPS noob
"Sad", lol wasn't it? The guys just weren't really enthusiastic about any of the content they tried. The games out rightnow are pretty shitty with shitty graphics and zero replayability other then to show off VR to friends/family. However there are a ton demos and stuff you can try, so i doubt anyone will get bored by VR anytime soon (contrary to Kinect / Wii).

I decided to wait with the purchase till after summer and build a new rig when the new generation of graphic cards are out and i don't have to wait months for my order to ship. Till then i may get a sense on how the different systems will evolve and which gets the must have killer apps and games.
yeah I'm keeping an open mind still but yesterdays giant bomb stream really bummed me out on VR, there was just about nothing that looked like I'd play more than an hour or two. maybe Elite I guess.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Above comments are why I decided to try out the cheaper PSVR option first :/

Szlia

That Chronos game look ok, doesn't it? I hope it will get released in a non-VR version in a not so distant future.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's purely a matter of available content, not a knock on the technology itself. The cost of being on the bleeding edge. Due to the GiantBomb stream I decided to pick up a VIVE because I think the motion controls + the full room VR experience at the outset will be more fun gimmicks in the short term and will hopefully tide me over until some real content comes out in the VR world.

Everything out there now is just a VR "Demo" and nothing really seems like a "thank god for VR because now we can do THIS!" kind of thing. At the moment I'm more interested in how the experience of say, Chronos, is where the game itself actually seems like it would be better without VR. If the HMD simply as a display device makes the experience more fun then I'll be happy, otherwise I'll be sad that I didn't wait.

spronk

FPS noob
Oculus Rift pre orders starting to go out, those who ordered at before the store opening (8am PST / 11am EST on 1/6) are getting ship notifications and credit card charges right now. People in Canada/Europe who did the kickstarter are also having to pay import taxes.

Some Vive pre orders in Australia and New Zealand have gotten charges on their CC but no ship notifications yet

Oculus Rift CV1 lens tear down
Oculus Rift CV1 Teardown - iFixit

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Canceled my preorder, will buy it after I replace my current mostly new PC. My CPU won't handle it and I am not going to buy a new motherboard and deal with everything that goes with it.

Sulrn

Deuces
For anyone that's interested Divinity: Original Sin (Enhanced Edition) justpatched in VRmode for new games. Just have to do a tutorial quest to enable it I believe.

Also 50% off on steam this weekend.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
For anyone that's interested Divinity: Original Sin (Enhanced Edition) justpatched in VRmode for new games. Just have to do a tutorial quest to enable it I believe.

Also 50% off on steam this weekend.
Its just an early April fools thing.

rrr_img_130198.jpg

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Dumb. Saw some journalists complaining that they have received embargoed 4/1 stories too. Some people just trying too hard. Or maybe I'm just getting too old/busy for the stupidity of 4/1
tongue.png

A lot of RTS games could create a nice tabletop feel w/ VR I'd think.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Dumb. Saw some journalists complaining that they have received embargoed 4/1 stories too. Some people just trying too hard. Or maybe I'm just getting too old/busy for the stupidity of 4/1
tongue.png

A lot of RTS games could create a nice tabletop feel w/ VR I'd think.
Supreme Commander springs to mind, there was a lot of zooming and panning with that game IIRC.

There's a teardown of the Rift hardware on:

Oculus Rift CV1 Teardown - iFixit

spronk

FPS noob
a oculus leaker said on reddit that people who got the 1-3 weeks email will be getting their rifts in the next week or two, and everyone else will be getting an estimated ship date on april 12th. We'll see. Also everyone will be getting free shipping, meh for those of us in Murica where it was only $30 anyways but great for foreigners, like australians are basically getting $130 fee waived.

I am more and more regretting buying an oculus over a vive, have a feeling the vive may be better but maybe just mixed feelings over how shitty the rift launch has been.

SteamVR seems to be working well with Oculus Rift (reverse is not true, Vive does not work with Oculus store)
How to get Oculus Rift working with SteamVR - YouTube

A dev's thoughts on Rift vs Vive: tl;dr Rift better slightly unless you can do room scale then Vive is better
FlyInside FSX Message Board View topic - The OFFICIAL should I get a Rift or Vive thread!