VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
a oculus leaker said on reddit that people who got the 1-3 weeks email will be getting their rifts in the next week or two, and everyone else will be getting an estimated ship date on april 12th. We'll see. Also everyone will be getting free shipping, meh for those of us in Murica where it was only $30 anyways but great for foreigners, like australians are basically getting $130 fee waived.

I am more and more regretting buying an oculus over a vive, have a feeling the vive may be better but maybe just mixed feelings over how shitty the rift launch has been.

SteamVR seems to be working well with Oculus Rift (reverse is not true, Vive does not work with Oculus store)
How to get Oculus Rift working with SteamVR - YouTube

A dev's thoughts on Rift vs Vive: tl;dr Rift better slightly unless you can do room scale then Vive is better
FlyInside FSX Message Board View topic - The OFFICIAL should I get a Rift or Vive thread!
I ordered a Vive, but I'm going to have to move my couch around to really take advantage of the room scale stuff. By the time I get it, I might just decide to sell it. I don't know.

spronk

FPS noob
Vive

I got my Rift and I'm pretty meh on it. Valkyrie Eve is very cool but every other game sucks and I don't feel that immersed honestly, I always feel like I have a headset on and my forehead sweats like crazy

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Vive

I got my Rift and I'm pretty meh on it. Valkyrie Eve is very cool but every other game sucks and I don't feel that immersed honestly, I always feel like I have a headset on and my forehead sweats like crazy
I just know that if I would get a Vive, I would spend a lot of time in hospitals after getting tangled in those cords and tripping myself, falling face down.

Using a VR headset might be fun for Valkyrie, Elite and other simulators but this whole moving around thing will not be a thing until its cordless.

spronk

FPS noob
HTC Vive demos are trickling into Gamestop and Microsoft Stores and should be available everywhere by the end of the month. Best Buy too I think? They are on a 3 day turnaround as well, so if you order one right now you will get it within a week. Might even be able to pick it up at some of the above stores. If you own a rift and haven't plugged it in a few days, it got a firmware update too

another new space VR game, 17.99 this week on steam works with vive/rift
Save 10% on House of the Dying Sun on Steam

also edge of nowhere is out for Rift (exclusive), its by Insomniac Games and is a horror game. $40 seems ridic for a game that is probably 4-5 hours

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I tried out the Vive at a MS store here in Florida - it was really fun, easy to get immersed in. There was a Pirate shooting game (very rudimentary) where you just killed waves of drones coming at you, but was really fun, and apparently I was really good at it because the crowd was cheering and I got one of the top scores before the demo ended. Really fun.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I have the game and it's definitely fun if a bit shallow. That's how I would describe most games on the Vive right now. New stuff is coming out weekly, though.

spronk

FPS noob
sale on VR games this weekend on steam, 25-50% off most
Steam VR Weekend 2016

Rift only:
Steam Search

Vive only:
Steam Search

My rift is pretty much a paperweight at this point, its nice for an hour or so and then I don't feel like dealing with all the cons (heat, sweat, uncomfortable) and I have yet to see the "killer game" for it. I'm still gonna be suckered into buying a PSVR this fall but I have pretty much abandoned all hope of Snow Crash style sex dolls in my lifetime
frown.png

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I tried the Vive at the MS store last week, loved it.
I would need a new vid card to run it so with that its super expensive. Has anyone tried VIVE then the Sony version? Sony seams so much cheaper but that worries me, does anyone have first hand experience with both?

Best part was the wife tried it and says "we need this" at the end!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wow. May have to pick it up now. Does this mean wireless launch is around the corner? Or they finally figured out mainstream wants to buy but not at 799. Oops nevermind I read that as this is the Vive.

Guessing the lawsuit?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
6 week cut may as well be permanent, since you know they're going to do another cut around Thanksgiving.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
$399 for the Vive would have been a no brainer.

$399 for the Occulus I may as well just continue to keep playing PSVR.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah, if it was the Vive I'd be all over it. Maybe they will match them.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Yeah, if it was the Vive I'd be all over it. Maybe they will match them.

I think that's doubtful unfortunately, since HTC only profits from the hardware. Facebook can afford to subsidise Oculus price for strategic reasons since they own the software end of things as well as having a massive warchest.