VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Siliconemelons

Never obviously use teleport method in skyrim, why that exists...bah.

Not using the moves cuts out the immersion. Moving around with them takes some time, you press a button on the left move and then angle the controller in the direction you want. Forward-back etc. Two button on the right move - turn you left/right and the "speed" of that turn can be adjusted in the menu

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I turned off all comfort settings with as smooth as turning as you can get with the moves. Skyrim is nowhere near as bad as a game like RE7 for your stomach. Turn off the bullshit teleporting and blinders and go with smooth turning.

Waiting for a sale on Borderlands, but I could imagine that game making people sick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wipeout was awesome, no issues at all. For whatever reason though Borderlands did have me a little wobbly. Beat Saber is fun as hell although I'm enjoying it more in free play mode with obstructions turned off. Downloading Astrobot now and will wait for hopefully some more good sales.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm going to guess Borderlands framerate and style of game contribute to that. One game that helped me get my VR legs was RIGS. Get used to whipping your head around in that with the settings off and you can handle anything. Great game too, it's a shame they shut the studio because they nailed the feeling of being in a mech.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Def get Farpoint, but the aim is a VR Legs thing too. I dunno if Dick Wilde is on sale but thats a lot of fun for a shooting gallery game and wont make you sick.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Def get Farpoint, but the aim is a VR Legs thing too. I dunno if Dick Wilde is on sale but thats a lot of fun for a shooting gallery game and wont make you sick.
Was it Farpoint I think I was reading about that started off pretty terrible, but now is pretty good, because of all the content they added?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Was it Farpoint I think I was reading about that started off pretty terrible, but now is pretty good, because of all the content they added?
Uh, no Farpoint is the original Aim game and is a great scifi fps. Has MP but I haven't tried it myself.

It's 100% worth a play if you own the aim.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yea, I've gotten a little queasy on just about any of the games with player-controlled movement (Skyrim, Wipeout, Borderlands). Rush of blood wasn't bad either. Not even a hint of a queasy feeling with Beat Saber or Astrobot demo.

I feel like all of the reviews and game rankings for VR that I've heard have been pretty damn accurate, including the posts in this thread. A lot of really fun experiences in many games if they don't make you sick, but luckily the best two games I've played (Beat Saber & Astrobo) aren't an issue at all.

I want to try bridge crew with you nerds, but its $60. Also, I dont know when I'd ever be able to use a mic. I play after the baby goes to bed and she sleeps too close to be able to talk.

Last time we played bridge crew Daezuel Daezuel spilled his beer and I issued a red alert. 😜

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

I'm not sure how to overcome this but I'm a huge 6'6" 310 dude while my 5 year is of course much smaller. I adjust the camera for me and it's working great and then today he's like Dad I wanna play and it's nothing but problems for the Move controllers and camera because he's so short. I also can never duck under walls in Beat Saber.

First world probs.

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure how to overcome this but I'm a huge 6'6" 310 dude while my 5 year is of course much smaller. I adjust the camera for me and it's working great and then today he's like Dad I wanna play and it's nothing but problems for the Move controllers and camera because he's so short. I also can never duck under walls in Beat Saber.

First world probs.
Not sure how to help on the camera issue, but changing your floor height on beat saber helps I think.

I tried to set it so it felt "natural" at first, then I had the same problem as you. I adjusted the floor height so it felt like it was at my knees or waist and that solved the issue for me. Now I just need to bow forward a little bit to get under those obstacles.

Also, 5 year olds can play this?

Last edited:

Crone

Not sure how to help on the camera issue, but changing your floor height on beat saber helps I think.

I tried to set it so it felt "natural" at first, then I had the same problem as you. I adjusted the floor height so it felt like it was at my knees or waist and that solved the issue for me. Now I just need to bow forward a little bit to get under those obstacles.

Also, 5 year olds can play this?
Edit: omg raising the floor just made this game way more amazing.

Umm, well, it helps that my 5 year old has his Dad's noggin, and it's huge. So the headset fits pretty well.

I set it to No Fail, and my 4 year old just kinda flails at the squares coming at you. My 5 year old is actually much better and understands the idea of swinging certain directions.

Btw, my 2 year old has been a casualty of Move controllers already. Told the 2 year old to get out of the way, didn't listen, 5 year old basically upper cut her while playing Beat Saber. Oh well, she shoulda listen!

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oh by the way, prior to ever thinking a PSVR would be in my house, went through and watched a play through of Déraciné by From. Now kind of wish I hadn’t because I’d love to do a blind play. Seemed pretty good but not a style for everyone. Also has some of those From Easter eggs linking it to Bloodborne.

Crone

Raising the floor in Beat Saber made a world of difference. Just absolutely amazing. I can only imagine making similar "VR" changes in Skyrim will improve the experience drastically. Biggest one being I have my Move controllers working and charged up now.

On my radar for games
  • Creed: Rise to Glory (boxing just sounds amazing)
  • Astrobot (Everyone says it's the best. Trying the demo tonight!)
  • Tetris: Effect (Looking forward to just sitting and chilling and being in awe)
The aim controller looks pretty cool, but I've never been a huge FPS person, so that's pretty far down on the list. Wish I had more buddies close by that had PSVR so we could trade games and stuff.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey Daezuel Daezuel , how the hell do I turn in Farpoint with the aim controller? I get that the fore joystick is forward/back/strafe, but can't figure out how to turn? And the joystick by the trigger doesn't do anything at all?

Great intro, though. This game looks awesome, and the aim controller feels good so far.

Crone

My buddy has the HTC Vive, and he's calling me a pleb, and telling me Git Gud!! because I got the PSVR instead. :(

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey Daezuel Daezuel , how the hell do I turn in Farpoint with the aim controller? I get that the fore joystick is forward/back/strafe, but can't figure out how to turn? And the joystick by the trigger doesn't do anything at all?

Great intro, though. This game looks awesome, and the aim controller feels good so far.
Oh, nevermind. I guess you literally have to turn your body, but I found the setting to turn on the trigger joystick, too.

And holy hell - Beat Saber is still the most fun, but Farpoint + Aim controller is the first one that's really felt like virtual reality.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the aim controller is awesome. Especially when you bring it up too your face to look down the sights.

• 1Solidarity