VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

spronk

FPS noob
yeah up at $999 for full package, $499 for headset only

if you click order its an instant "order" although you don't pay until it is ready to ship in 8 (?) weeks

i ended up trading my OG Rift into amazon for $240 with controllers, just wasn't using the fucker that much. I put my PSVR into my brothers house since he still has kids and we get together as a family, although i'm semi tempted to trade that in too. No interest in the Valve Index, wake me up when we have 4K OLED panel VR thats 100% wireless and preferably not a bulky headset either.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm as skeptical as you are and not expecting to be blown away by the Index at all so we'll see. It looks like mine is going to ship this week so I'll give you a no bullshit review sometime soon.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got the kit set up over the weekend, then realized that all of my VR games are on the Oculus platform, not Steam. I have one game on Steam for VR, Batman Arkham VR. I tried it out and it didn't seem like much of a game but it had some cool environments to look at.

The first thing I noticed with the Index is the increased resolution. It is definitely sharper, less pixelated than my other four VR sets. This is a good thing, but it still isn't good enough. I think 4k per eye is going to be a needed improvement for true 2 Gen headsets, hopefully 8k per eye for 3 Gen sets.

140hz refresh - I have it set for that, things seem smooth, but I can't really tell any "holy shit" difference from 90hz. Or maybe my brain can subliminally, who knows.

Comfort, weight, cord, all seem just ok, comparable to various rift sets. The headphones are superior though, they really nailed it with the sound on this thing.

Controllers are good, responsive, comfortable, light. They did a good job on these.

Tracking - not a big fan of the lighthouses, they emit an annoying high pitched whine and I get some tracking jitter sometimes when one of the station is blocked by my body. This is probably my fault for mounting one high and one low, I may drill a hole and mount both high up.

God rays, they suck. I still get white blurry rays off the lenses. This is one of the most annoying issues. It happens on most or all of my sets though, not just the Index.

This is a good kit. I don't have buyers remorse. I'm glad I got it but there is no way this is 2 Gen setup, I'll be buying the next main Rift standalone release when it comes out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just got a new PC, its good enough for a good VR set up. I was thinking of getting the HTC Cosmos, but I dont have much space in my current living set up, so im not trying to have to set up cameras etc. So Im thinking of getting a Samsung Odyssey +. Its going for 500$ but I saw people saying they got some for 250$ on sale? ANy advice as to where I could get the best price on one, and should I even bother with the Samsung offering?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Regular Cosmos doesn't come with lighthouses and apparently has quite poor tracking. Have not personally tried it but most reviews advise the Cosmos Elite instead (which comes with lighthouses and also comes with the Vive wands, which are well supported)

I own the Vive and the Vive Pro but I'd probably go for the Valve Index if I was buying today. The lighthouse tracking is really the gold standard and the index controllers are a step up in technology from the first generation designs, not to mention they have Valve's backing so they will probably become the standard controller in the coming years. If you want to future proof it, definitely get a lighthouse setup (so Index, Cosmos Elite, or Vive Pro). Corona seems to have hit the Valve production line hard though, at least in Europe all of their stuff is on backorder (I have the index controllers on order, they're estimating 8+ weeks to deliver)

If you can get the space to use roomscale I would recommend it. You're selling yourself short if you use it seated only, standing and moving your arms freely to interact with things adds so much to the experience. You don't really need a huge amount of space, if you have a 7x7' space clear floor to ceiling that will suffice. More is nice but not essential, you don't really walk around much in VR. If you can take a half step in each direction and swing your arms around without hitting anything you are usually fine.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can recommend Thrill of the Fight if anyone's looking for an indoor workout in these times. It's a pretty small game and not something you're going to play for hours and hours but it's cheap and wailing on a virtual punching bag is surprisingly good excercise. I played it for maybe 20 minutes yesterday and I was sweating like a pig, and my shoulders have been sore all day today.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Go go go. Just bought one. Oculus Quests 128gbs also back, and Rift refurbished (not the S) for $299. Bought the S for Alyx, figured it was the best budget unit?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm, we have a Vive but kind of want to get a second setup for upstairs. Need to read more about making sure this can do everything we use the Vive for - mostly Beat Saber / SteamVR. Can get a full Vive kit for about this much used locally when they pop up, probably still hold out for that and keep everything in the house compatible w/ each other.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
After beating HL:Alyx I bought Subnautica and it has been a great VR experience. Almost done with that, have Fallout 4 VR up next.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of VR, what's everyone's "must have" games?

Already gonna grab Alyx & Beat Saber. Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery, Eleven Table Tennis, Vanishing Realms, some boxing game all look good?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I enjoy Holopoint and Creed. Both can be their own brand of exhausting.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Half Life: Alyx needs to be on everyone's list now, that should be the game to beat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Definitely get Google Earth VR, it's probably the title I have the most time in. Fun to just fly around the world and check places out with the streetview feature (stick the orb on your left hand over your head) which lets you see 360° photos from the streetview cars, as well as pictures random people have taken. Many are crappy low res but there's the occasional gem. Best of all it's free.

SkyrimVR is pretty decent now that the mods have beaten some of the stupid out of it (mostly the default interface which is godawful for VR). Must haves are VRIK player avatar which lets you actually draw and holster a weapon, select spells with gestures etc, and SkyUI. SkyrimVR subreddit has all the details.

Also check out some the steamVR environments, they're all free and can be pretty cool, some have minigames. To start, just get some of the higher rated ones, but I'd recommend the English Church, Valve Lobby, WoW Stormwind and Mos Eisley Cantina in particular.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

So I spent 3,000$ to play Half Life Alyx.

Was worth it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Received my Rift S today and having an absolute fuck ton of issues getting the sensors to detect/work. Guess it's something to do with the "Asmedia 3.0" drivers my motherboard uses. Some people say USB 2.0 works fine, but when I plug it in there it says it doesn't detect my headset at all.

Jozu

I got a MSI gs 75 Stealth and a Samsung odyssey plus and it runs like a fucking dream.

Truly an incredible game, and an even more incredible gaming experience. The graphics and atmosphere are genuinely amazing. The possibilities are endless, just think of all of the awesome experiences they could craft? Vietnam shooter, jungle atomsphere, napalm explosions, sneaking melee kills on viet cong. They could do a fantasy type game with spell casting and exploration of sick environments. I cant wait to see what they develop over next couple years.