VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am in the market for a higher end headset (I currently have a Rift S), but I am super skeptical of Valve and their commitment to any of their own hardware.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I had very low experience with VR except when sony or HTC came at work a few years ago so we could try their headset.

I got the Oculus Quest(500$ CAD) for fun on christmas and like it alot. Everybody that tried it loved it.
I work in videogame. One of my coworker is a elitist VR user and own the new valve index. After trying my quest yesterday she told me she liked it very much and kinda want a quest now. She told me the quality is really good, not having any cable is great and the portable aspect is amazing. I got a carry box from amazon and it really feels like something Nintendo should have released.

I was bringing it at my family party and the reaction was amazing. Reminded me of the family party we had with the original Wii.

Setting your safe zone is really fun and the headset will remember the places. Tracking is great and simple to use. It's also amazing that you can now connect it to a PC and play like the other headset. I do feel safe when playing with it and it's really fun to peak out your safe zone and be able to see the real world. I will probably keep this one and upgrade if Oculus keep releasing new headsets. Only bad thing I can say is that it would be great if I could set multiple users for one device.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
HTC expanding the Vive lineup. Will be a progression / uprgade path for the product line, you can upgrade the faceplates on the units, and they are all the same 2880x1700 90fps display that's in the existing Cosmos. Official announcement today, not sure on pricing and availability yet.

1582182043411.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

The quest is stupid good. It's better than all first and 1.5 gen VR headsets and it's completely stand alone.

It's a decent price for many - people, schools etc.

It has great ability to "do more" with SideQuest sideload and Oculus-Link with a 30$ USB-C expands to rift library.

It's amazing what has happened in the past few years.

I am feeling these next run of headsets are finally "gen 2" worthy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
  • HTC Vive Cosmos Elite bundle will cost $899 USD / £899 GBP and be available later in Q1.
  • The External Tracking Faceplate will also launch globally as a stand-alone accessory in Q2 for $199 / £199 GBP as an upgrade for either Vive Cosmos or Vive Cosmos Play.
  • HTC Vive Cosmos Play will cost $500 USD / £899 GBP and be available later in Q1.
  • HTC did not announce the pricing of Vive Cosmos XR.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I don't keep up with this stuff. What's the best system to buy right now in terms of games and resolution (accessories too)? Will it be the above?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have no complaints with the Rift S, I also didn't want to spend 700 more on a Vive.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Best available is probably the a Vive Cosmos w/ external tracking or the Valve Index. Plenty of satisfactory options though, a lot of 1st gen Vives for as low as $300 on Facebook's marketplace, some with extra accessories. We nearly bought an entire second Vive kit just because it came w/ the audio strap that was (is again?) out of stock and selling for 2x it's MSRP from resellers.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Buddy had his base station for his Index fail twice and had to be replaced.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I really like my Odyssey+. Picked it up for 250 bucks about 6 months ago. pretty good quality visually but can't play some of the older vr titles. I bought it as a hold over until the next gen headsets come out.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Are there any legit games for VR? I imagine they are all kinda half baked mini games. Are there any legit games that take many hours to complete?

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Wear and tear on my Vive has made it nothing but problems lately. Both halves of the USB on the link box are loose, and the USB/Power cables are very loose on the headset. Whenever one falls out, the whole system crashes and I need to restart my computer. On top of that, both controllers have been smacked into the wall enough that they rattle like crazy, and the thumbpads hardly work. And then I get this e-mail:

Thank you for your interest in the Valve Index.

Valve Index VR kits will be available for purchase this Monday (March 9th) starting at 10 AM PDT (5 PM UTC).

I think I'm going to be poorer on Monday =/. At least my base stations work fine, so its only $750... Ugh.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure why anyone would mess with the Vive shit at this point. Way too expensive and you have to setup the sensors and shit around the room.

Occulus S/Quest is half the price, on-par performance/graphics, and works standalone without the need for external sensors. You just plug that shit and play.

• 1Solidarity

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure why anyone would mess with the Vive shit at this point.

The Vive Pro display is legit but definitely too expensive now that you can just go index for a full setup and better display. When I went the normal model on most everything else the display difference was really huge.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got Steam locked and loaded to try and snag an Index at noon central today.