VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Received my Rift S today and having an absolute fuck ton of issues getting the sensors to detect/work. Guess it's something to do with the "Asmedia 3.0" drivers my motherboard uses. Some people say USB 2.0 works fine, but when I plug it in there it says it doesn't detect my headset at all.

Did you make sure to disable the power cut Option for the USB plugs? That fixed my issues. I just have to make sure to turn on the Oculus software before doing anything else.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had to buy a USB 3.0 expansion cause mine wouldn't work with whatever brand my mobo had. I think it was Asmedia too. One I bought was the one Oculus recommends and it was like 15 bucks on Amazon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Did you make sure to disable the power cut Option for the USB plugs? That fixed my issues. I just have to make sure to turn on the Oculus software before doing anything else.

I did, along with a long list of other things. Unfortunately, none of it worked.

I had to buy a USB 3.0 expansion cause mine wouldn't work with whatever brand my mobo had. I think it was Asmedia too. One I bought was the one Oculus recommends and it was like 15 bucks on Amazon.

Yeah, I ended up buying the Inateck one they recommend - Sadly, it won't be here till Friday which blows...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I did, along with a long list of other things. Unfortunately, none of it worked.

Yeah, I ended up buying the Inateck one they recommend - Sadly, it won't be here till Friday which blows...

I had the same issue at first, but I did the following.

Unplug both DP connector and USB for the Rift S

Reboot the PC

Open Occulus Software

Plug in the DP connector first wait for it to recognize

Plug in the USB and wait for it to recognize (I did have to play musical USB ports until it worked).
**I don't remember if it was DP or USB firs but try in reverse order if that doesn't work.

Hopefully that works for you.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I had the same issue at first, but I did the following.

Unplug both DP connector and USB for the Rift S

Reboot the PC

Open Occulus Software

Plug in the DP connector first wait for it to recognize

Plug in the USB and wait for it to recognize (I did have to play musical USB ports until it worked).
**I don't remember if it was DP or USB firs but try in reverse order if that doesn't work.

Hopefully that works for you.

Appreciate the tips, sadly it didn't work. Went through a laundry list of potential driver reverts, plug n' play sequences like you listed. Just could not get it to read the sensors. I have an old ASrock Gen3 extreme 3 z68 board that if I recall correctly has had some issues with USB controllers on the MB at other times as well. That PCIe card I ordered should take care of that issue, so I guess it's not a huge deal.

Really need to finally rebuild my PC, was hoping to wait for 4-6 months, but I may do it sooner now. Really missing some of these newer features these current boards have. Would also like to fix this cpu bottleneck as well.

• 1Like

Ether

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I just ordered an Oculus Quest after having a blast playing Beat Saber for the first time on a buddy's, and I was looking up custom songs.

This is the future I've been waiting for.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've been crashing a ton in vrchat, and I narrowed it down to my usb card I got for extra ports.

For a long time I'd either run all my sensors on that card, or the helmet + hyperx headphones with the sensors on my board's usb. But last night if I had anything in the card I'd crash.

What I ended up doing was plugging 2 sensors into the shitty very top usb ports that are for mouse and keyboard, putting mouse and keyboard in the card slots, then using the board usb3 for helmet, third sensor, and headphones.

That got me through a few hours, though I still had a crash every 2 hours or so. USB is such a shit protocol.

My card is a fresco logic. I am not really sure if a new card would fix my problem or if my old crusty board / cpu just can't keep up with the storm of interrupts from USB.

One phenomenon I noticed alot was if I was loading in a couple people's avatars people's voices would cut out so I couldn't understand anyone. I might try next time finding a shitty pair of standard stereo plug headphones I can wear with the helmet so I have one less thing going over USB.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Appreciate the tips, sadly it didn't work. Went through a laundry list of potential driver reverts, plug n' play sequences like you listed. Just could not get it to read the sensors. I have an old ASrock Gen3 extreme 3 z68 board that if I recall correctly has had some issues with USB controllers on the MB at other times as well. That PCIe card I ordered should take care of that issue, so I guess it's not a huge deal.

Really need to finally rebuild my PC, was hoping to wait for 4-6 months, but I may do it sooner now. Really missing some of these newer features these current boards have. Would also like to fix this cpu bottleneck as well.

A follow up - I ordered the Inateck card for $28 off of Amazon, and got the headset working. I'm only running the headset and no additional sensors though.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So I just ordered an Oculus Quest after having a blast playing Beat Saber for the first time on a buddy's, and I was looking up custom songs.

This is the future I've been waiting for.

Where the hell did you order one? Everywhere I've looked is sold out :(

Ether

Lord Nagafen Raider
if you really want one it pops into stock a few minutes every day or so on amazon, walmart, best buy or oculus.com, you can track it here setup alerts to your phone or something

This is exactly what I did. I got lucky and saw a 128GB model come in stock briefly on Amazon like at midnight Friday night.

Side note, why are they so scarce? Has it been like that since they released a year ago or this shortage cause of the Rona?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Side note, why are they so scarce? Has it been like that since they released a year ago or this shortage cause of the Rona?

The Oculus site said it was manufacturing problems due to Coronavirus.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
so it said 'instock' for walmart, so i i checked the website, never saw it available, and 5 mins later it now says 'out of stock'

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
just had to keep trying , looks like just a few get tossed up at once and i was late to the party. managed to nab one this time, just a 64 gb but hopefuilly theres not too big a diff from quest 128 vs 64. mad props for the site rec!