VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's also a very good way to scan the contents and scale of ones home

spronk

FPS noob

Oculus Quest 2 is $249 no taxes free ship if you are military active/vet. signup is easy, uses id.me to verify status through govt

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
With Project Aria, we are building towards a future where our devices disappear into the flow of everyday life, enhance the world around us as we go, and render our devices more human in design and interactivity.

Project Aria is a research device that is worn like regular glasses and will help us build the software — including a live map of 3D spaces — and hardware necessary for future AR devices. Sensors on the Project Aria research device will capture the wearer’s video and audio, as well as their eye tracking and location information. The glasses’ on-device computing power will then be used to encrypt and store information that, when uploaded to separate, designated back-end storage space, will help our researchers figure out how AR can work in the real world.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Just got myself a Quest 2 and I am loving it. I didn't even know the Quest series existed until last week. Years ago, I had a Gear VR but that thing was pretty lame. I had heard about the Oculus Go replacing Gear VR which also sounded lame. I was always curious to try PCVR but was never willing to drop $1k+ to start so I never kept up on VR news so never heard about the Quest.

The other day I randomly saw a video on Youtube about the Quest 2 and that it can play PCVR games. It was only $399 for the 256gb model and the reviews seemed very positive. Sold me right there. I Bought it from Best Buy so I could easily return it in case I hated it. Fired it up, and man, it's leaps and bounds better than that Gear VR crap. That little intro where you throw blocks and paper airplanes and stuff was mind-blowing. Felt like a kid playing my NES for the first time. Next I found out about Virtual Desktop and installed that. Can play my PCVR games wirelessly with no noticeable latency. Amazing! So far I have played Vader Immortal 1, Batman Arkham VR, the Valve Labs thing, and Beat Saber demo. I also got a free copy of Asgards Wrath that I want to try, as I hear good things about it, but just haven't had time to download the crazy like 170gb download for it.

I haven't had any motion sickness issues, but one weird thing I've noticed is, when not using the headset, everything seems more 3D if that makes sense. Even text on my monitor seems to be floating over the background sometimes. And sometimes my real hands feel "fake". It's weird as hell and hard to explain but I saw on reddit a lot of people saying this happened to them the first few weeks. Also for the whole facebook thing, it's funny because I haven't had facebook in like 10 years. I ended up creating a new FB account, added a few VR friends and groups, made everything private so people can't find me, and that's about it. It's a stupid requirement, but I guess it makes sense they want you to buy into their ecosystem. I refuse to actually USE facebook though. It will just stay dormant. But for a $400 wireless PCVR headset that is actually decent, I can live with that. At least until some other competitor comes along.

I have a 25% off coupon for my first purchase and don't know what I should get. I think it's between Lone Echo, The Climb, or Beat Saber for Quest. I have a list of games I want, but most are going to be bought on Steam when they go on Steam sales, so that I'm not tied to the Oculus store. Half Life Alyx will be bought on Feb 11th when the next Steam Sale starts. Probably gonna pick up Pavlov too. I'm a huge R6 Siege and CoD fan, so playing some realistic FPS looks like a blast. Or maybe Onward is better? Anyone play either?

I'm not sure if Beat Saber is fine using the Quest version or if I should be getting the PC version. I'd prefer to play it wirelessly so I figure the Quest version would be better than streaming it wirelessly from PC with Virtual Desktop due it being a precision game. Any other recommended must-play games? I may pick up Walking Dead down the road, but want to play HL Alyx first. Not really interested in Skyrim or Fallout. Haven't even completed more than 20% of them in non-VR. No way in heck I'd ever finish them in VR.

Also, someone needs to make EQ VR. Would kill to run around Norrath in VR.

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally ordered a quest 2 with my Costco cash back, should be here tomorrow, now I just need graphics cards to be fucking in stock so I can run more games, my 960 isn't gonna cut it anymore.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm really trying to resist the urge to buy one of these because I hate facebook and I never play my PSVR.....But I don't play it because of the cords/setup, and I sure do love beat saber...

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Grez

Molten Core Raider
Just got myself a Quest 2 and I am loving it. I didn't even know the Quest series existed until last week. Years ago, I had a Gear VR but that thing was pretty lame. I had heard about the Oculus Go replacing Gear VR which also sounded lame. I was always curious to try PCVR but was never willing to drop $1k+ to start so I never kept up on VR news so never heard about the Quest.

The other day I randomly saw a video on Youtube about the Quest 2 and that it can play PCVR games. It was only $399 for the 256gb model and the reviews seemed very positive. Sold me right there. I Bought it from Best Buy so I could easily return it in case I hated it. Fired it up, and man, it's leaps and bounds better than that Gear VR crap. That little intro where you throw blocks and paper airplanes and stuff was mind-blowing. Felt like a kid playing my NES for the first time. Next I found out about Virtual Desktop and installed that. Can play my PCVR games wirelessly with no noticeable latency. Amazing! So far I have played Vader Immortal 1, Batman Arkham VR, the Valve Labs thing, and Beat Saber demo. I also got a free copy of Asgards Wrath that I want to try, as I hear good things about it, but just haven't had time to download the crazy like 170gb download for it.

I haven't had any motion sickness issues, but one weird thing I've noticed is, when not using the headset, everything seems more 3D if that makes sense. Even text on my monitor seems to be floating over the background sometimes. And sometimes my real hands feel "fake". It's weird as hell and hard to explain but I saw on reddit a lot of people saying this happened to them the first few weeks. Also for the whole facebook thing, it's funny because I haven't had facebook in like 10 years. I ended up creating a new FB account, added a few VR friends and groups, made everything private so people can't find me, and that's about it. It's a stupid requirement, but I guess it makes sense they want you to buy into their ecosystem. I refuse to actually USE facebook though. It will just stay dormant. But for a $400 wireless PCVR headset that is actually decent, I can live with that. At least until some other competitor comes along.

I have a 25% off coupon for my first purchase and don't know what I should get. I think it's between Lone Echo, The Climb, or Beat Saber for Quest. I have a list of games I want, but most are going to be bought on Steam when they go on Steam sales, so that I'm not tied to the Oculus store. Half Life Alyx will be bought on Feb 11th when the next Steam Sale starts. Probably gonna pick up Pavlov too. I'm a huge R6 Siege and CoD fan, so playing some realistic FPS looks like a blast. Or maybe Onward is better? Anyone play either?

I'm not sure if Beat Saber is fine using the Quest version or if I should be getting the PC version. I'd prefer to play it wirelessly so I figure the Quest version would be better than streaming it wirelessly from PC with Virtual Desktop due it being a precision game. Any other recommended must-play games? I may pick up Walking Dead down the road, but want to play HL Alyx first. Not really interested in Skyrim or Fallout. Haven't even completed more than 20% of them in non-VR. No way in heck I'd ever finish them in VR.

I'd love some kind of EQ-Blade & Sorcery hybrid.

I want to pick one of these up by the neck and head bash it to death.

cZpj1LMTurOhGAk7LSiLfTXK9LwE-Fy4M36LTL4prO0b9zKvn4_HYOUInmkhMUE3Uesn43swpnreZBoCwko3nBjlb7lPQREhOgUZbAENhg4qz_icGrGOrCDRjxvWMrI

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
I'm really trying to resist the urge to buy one of these because I hate facebook and I never play my PSVR.....But I don't play it because of the cords/setup, and I sure do love beat saber...
I felt horrible giving Facebook money, but at this point we are all but de-voiced and us boycotting them doesn't do shit. I'm still not going to use their platform. It is crazy how much they know about non-users though. I made a profile, and instantly it suggested people I may know, and like 30 of them were people close to me. Not just family but friends and coworkers. No clue how it would know that. Quest 2 is pretty damn sweet though. Hopefully in the next 5 years some competitors will come out with wireless headsets that work as good as the Quest 2 for similar price. Once they do, I'm out.

• 2Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
I'd love some kind of EQ-Blade & Sorcery hybrid.
Even if someone could figure out how to load the world maps to just walk around in and listen to the music. But a true VR experience would kick so much ass. Wonder if it's something EQ would ever do on it's progression servers. Doesn't seem like it would be insanely hard to do. I remember hacking WoW to play on my 3d monitor like 10 years ago when 3d monitors were actually cool. Just had to inject some DLL and it just worked. Same concept should apply to making it VR.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I felt horrible giving Facebook money, but at this point we are all but de-voiced and us boycotting them doesn't do shit. I'm still not going to use their platform. It is crazy how much they know about non-users though. I made a profile, and instantly it suggested people I may know, and like 30 of them were people close to me. Not just family but friends and coworkers. No clue how it would know that. Quest 2 is pretty damn sweet though. Hopefully in the next 5 years some competitors will come out with wireless headsets that work as good as the Quest 2 for similar price. Once they do, I'm out.
Not to derail too much, but Facebook has shadow profiles for non-users. People upload their contact list, freely share geo data, and all that info gets amalgamated to create a shadow profile. Now that you’ve registered for your Quest you’re effectively assuming control of the profile that was created for you years ago.

jsquirrel

Molten Core Raider

I would use the 25% off coupon on Beat Saber, since that's their killer app and never goes on sale. I'd also get the Quest version to eliminate any extra latency from PCVR links. You can mod Beat Saber using BMBF through SideQuest.

I got my Quest 2 for Christmas, and didn't get that coupon (is it WELCOME25?). I mainly wanted to play Skyrim VR (wanted to try it since it came out on PSVR), VRChat, and Beatsaber. There's actually a few decent Beat Saber worlds on VRChat if you search.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Beat Saber wasn't on sale for the Steam winter sale so it's a good one to use a coupon on.

I have Pavlov but I haven't played Onward. From what I understand Pavlov has the largest multiplayer community. It also has a ton of custom maps/modes(things like CoD zombies, counter strike, Golden Eye). It also discounts pretty heavily so it's a no brainer on sale. I've just dicked around a little in it with a friend/played some gun game with bots. Haven't popped onto multiplayer yet since I'm still new to VR myself and am playing through some other games. I heard it can be pretty hardcore.

Phasmophobia is great. Shenanigans all around.
SuperHot VR is a must play. If anyone isn't sold on VR SuperHot is the first game to show them.
Arizona Sunshine is a classic that still holds up great. The developers are making a 4 player co-op game called After the Fall that looks good as well that should be releasing Q1 or Q2?
Boneworks is the gold standard for VR physics.
Moss is a really unique puzzle platformer where you look down into the world controlling the protagonist with the controller/interact from a "godlike" observer perspective. Plays a little like a tech demo in that the character progression is pretty shallow but I loved it and the world is incredible to be immersed in. Also worth noting you play it sitting down so a good one to play while giving your legs a rest or if you're feeling lazy.
Thrill of the Fight is a boxing simulator that plays really well. You need to be more mindful than just raining blows down. It's fucking tiring too.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is A plus. It has the best gun physics out of any VR game on the market IMO, better than Boneworks, and I think even Half Life Alyx. The satisfaction of landing a headshot with a properly placed shot from a rifle is beyond anything else you can find.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Beat Saber wasn't on sale for the Steam winter sale so it's a good one to use a coupon on.

I have Pavlov but I haven't played Onward. From what I understand Pavlov has the largest multiplayer community. It also has a ton of custom maps/modes(things like CoD zombies, counter strike, Golden Eye). It also discounts pretty heavily so it's a no brainer on sale. I've just dicked around a little in it with a friend/played some gun game with bots. Haven't popped onto multiplayer yet since I'm still new to VR myself and am playing through some other games. I heard it can be pretty hardcore.

Phasmophobia is great. Shenanigans all around.
SuperHot VR is a must play. If anyone isn't sold on VR SuperHot is the first game to show them.
Arizona Sunshine is a classic that still holds up great. The developers are making a 4 player co-op game called After the Fall that looks good as well that should be releasing Q1 or Q2?
Boneworks is the gold standard for VR physics.
Moss is a really unique puzzle platformer where you look down into the world controlling the protagonist with the controller/interact from a "godlike" observer perspective. Plays a little like a tech demo in that the character progression is pretty shallow but I loved it and the world is incredible to be immersed in. Also worth noting you play it sitting down so a good one to play while giving your legs a rest or if you're feeling lazy.
Thrill of the Fight is a boxing simulator that plays really well. You need to be more mindful than just raining blows down. It's fucking tiring too.
Yeah I think I'm gonna use the coupon on Beat Saber on the Quest 2. I played a demo of it and it ran great. I watched some PCVR comparisons on youtube and it seems almost as good, but no latency and can take it anywhere. I will probably mod it to add songs.

Hopefully Pavlov hits the upcoming Steam sale. Really want to try that. And I downloaded the SuperHot demo last night on the Quest and it was really fun. Gonna have to snag that one I think. I think that's another game that will probably be almost as good on the Quest as the PCVR version so I will probably just buy the Quest version.

Also I found out about this PC program called Rookie's Sideloader. It has a repository of all of the Quest game apk files, and you hook up your Quest via usb, click the game, and click install and it puts the pirated version on your headset. Not sure if it's worth risking though, don't want Zucky to ban me for doing it. Anyone else here use it safely?

Stave

Potato del Grande
Well I bought Beat Saber and modded it and downloaded custom songs. I then proceeded to shatter a light fixture on my 4th song! I feel like I officially lost my Beat Saber virginity! Wifeys not too happy though.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Someone talk me into buying one of these for beat saber. Since I can't load custom songs onto the PSVR version, what can I view a list of what's available for something like the Quest?

Stave

Potato del Grande
Someone talk me into buying one of these for beat saber. Since I can't load custom songs onto the PSVR version, what can I view a list of what's available for something like the Quest?
Go to BeastSaber – Beat Saber Custom Map / Song Reviews and create an account. Just bookmark every song you like. When you do the patch thing on Quest to install, you get to that website at the end of the process, you sign in, and it will sync all those bookmarked songs and install them into your headset within a minute or so. Out of 104 songs, I think only 3 or 4 wouldn't work and that was because they had more advanced shit in them that relied on other mods that aren't able to be installed onto the Quest 2 yet. Whole process was super simple really.

• 1Blown
  • 1Like