VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Stave

Potato del Grande
sweet, I may give that a go tomorrow
Yup. Its super simple, buy the app ON OCULUS QUEST STORE, and then install the PC part of the app on your pc. If you have an Nvidia GPU, use the h.264 encoder, and AMD gpu works better with the HVEC one. Make sure you connect your headset to a 5ghz wifi source, and if you have a dual band router, try to only have the quest on the 5ghz, everything else on 2.4ghz. Try to be in the same room as your router as well.

There are some settings in the app you can adjust too like bitrate and encoded slicing. I have slicing on and like 50mbs bitrate for the game streaming. There are youtube videos out there that go over settings if you want to really dial it in.

As far as it goes launching games, it integrates with SteamVR so you just go to games and can launch it that way, or you can launch SteamVR from its menu. It's super intuitive. And you can launch rift games too if you ever buy any. Also, if you hold down the left controller menu button, thats how you switch back and forth between Virtual Desktop and whatever game you are in if you want to switch games or tweak settings.

Here is the video I used for my initial settings setup.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought a refurbished Quest1 on a whim witho doing any research since friends brought over their quest2 and the wife and kids loved it. It’s amazing but now I’m wondering if I should have just spent the extra $100 for the Quest 2...

Qhue

Trump's Staff
What are essential PC VR games that one would want to try and play on the Quest 2? I don't think I can handle Alyx owing to my extreme motion sickness. I can mostly only do games where I'm moving around a fixed location (though I do have a large room to move in)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Beat Saber.

Don't play the one that looks like Ender's game (floating around in space throwing a frisbee). It wasn't horrible for me, but that's the only one that started the uneasy feeling for me.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Motion sickness usually happens when you are moving out of a fixed position without teleport.

Smooth turning is no good.

Stave

Potato del Grande
What are essential PC VR games that one would want to try and play on the Quest 2? I don't think I can handle Alyx owing to my extreme motion sickness. I can mostly only do games where I'm moving around a fixed location (though I do have a large room to move in)
Alyx is super good about motion sickness because you teleport around rather than slide around. So you are just snapping from fixed location to the next fixed location. With Steams refund policy you could probably try it out and refund it if it bothers you. Super Hot VR is pretty good too as you never move around. Of course Beat Saber like Bandwagon suggested.

Other games I've been enjoying that dont have locomotion are Virtual Virtual Reality, Moss, A Fisherman's Tale, Real VR Fishing, Job Simulator, and Vacation Simulator.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Sad times. Doesnt look like project cars 2 really takes notice of the quest 2. Graphics look like dogshit in VR and nothing in the settings seems to make a difference =/ Guess i'll have to try Automobilista 2 or Assetto Corsa for my racing fix.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The only time motion sickness really fucked with me was jumping off shit in game and large open areas. Boneworks wrecked my brain/stomach.

Tide27

Sad times. Doesnt look like project cars 2 really takes notice of the quest 2. Graphics look like dogshit in VR and nothing in the settings seems to make a difference =/ Guess i'll have to try Automobilista 2 or Assetto Corsa for my racing fix.
I noticed the same thing. I had the alternative method set up to try project cars 2 and it was absolutely unplayable because it looked so bad.

Did other PC VR games fare better for you?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I noticed the same thing. I had the alternative method set up to try project cars 2 and it was absolutely unplayable because it looked so bad.

Did other PC VR games fare better for you?
Tried automobilista 2 but since its based off project cars 2 engine I didnt have much success. Runs ok in oculus VR mode but it still looks really low res with tons of aliasing. Going to try Assetto Corsa next.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Tried automobilista 2 but since its based off project cars 2 engine I didnt have much success. Runs ok in oculus VR mode but it still looks really low res with tons of aliasing. Going to try Assetto Corsa next.
Are you guys using link or virtual desktop? Is there not in-game settings? Quest 2 should just stream what your PC is rendering right to your headset.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Are you guys using link or virtual desktop? Is there not in-game settings? Quest 2 should just stream what your PC is rendering right to your headset.
It feels like the games aren't accurately detecting the resolution of the VR headset and instead its just running at the 1080p VD defaults to for monitor resolution or something. Seems limited to racing games so far as Alyx looks amazing.

Stave

Potato del Grande
It feels like the games aren't accurately detecting the resolution of the VR headset and instead its just running at the 1080p VD defaults to for monitor resolution or something. Seems limited to racing games so far as Alyx looks amazing.
That sucks. I know if it's a Steam VR game, you should be able to go into Steam VR's settings while you're in game and crank up the resolution. In Virtual Desktop while in the game, you click the left controller menu button and then you'll see your Steam game settings and can also edit global settings. I did a quick google search and other people were saying it just looks like shit no matter which headset you have as it's poorly optimized for VR so not sure if that's the problem.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
That sucks. I know if it's a Steam VR game, you should be able to go into Steam VR's settings while you're in game and crank up the resolution. In Virtual Desktop while in the game, you click the left controller menu button and then you'll see your Steam game settings and can also edit global settings. I did a quick google search and other people were saying it just looks like shit no matter which headset you have as it's poorly optimized for VR so not sure if that's the problem.
Yeah could be. On a brighter note did some MSFS2020 and JESUS CHRIST is that a nutty experience.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Man, Half Life Alyx is so incredible. Runs so well to the Quest, think I'm going to finally get everything together and get rid of my Vive. Have a base station going out anyways, but if I needed a 2nd headset i'd just get a Quest 2 at this point. I don't see a reason to ever have base stations again.

Also tried out Supernatural for the first time. May consider a sub to that, but we'll see how much I use it during the trial once I spin that up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Man, Half Life Alyx is so increduble. Runs so well to the Quest, think I'm going to finally get everything together and get rid of my Vive. Have a base station going out anyways, but if I needed a 2nd headset i'd just get a Quest 2 at this point. I don't see a reason to ever have base stations again.

Also tried out Supernatural for the first time. May consider a sub to that, but we'll see how much I use it during the trial once I spin that up.

Only problem with Alyx is that it's so well done it makes everything else seem horrible.

• 1Like

Jozu

Yeah I dont understand that. Why hasnt any other developer been able to recreate the quality of HL Alyx?

TWD Saints and Sinners is very well done, but even then it doesnt match the atmosphere and overall quality of Alyx. Maybe its because Valve was heavily focused and were working toward something for a while which eventually ended up as the VR title Alyx. Maybe other companies just havent put the time in and resources needed to make something that could compete with Alyx.

Crone

Cashed in some "points" I can get at work for Amazon gift cards. Using them on the Quest 2. I'm curious how it works for games now in the VR universe. It wasn't that long ago I feel that every system had its own set of games. That's still the case, but most have "side loaders" now? Or every system just works with every other? Particular to the Quest 2 I know it has it's own Quest game store, but can still play Steam games? But can it only play Steam games via Virtual Desktop?