Waco pt2? Standoff in Nevada over cattle on BLM land

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How do you guys see this ending? The feds gonna murder some innocent children again?

iannis

Musty Nester
They shot my wife and kids on Ruby Ridge
they gonna shoot me down
Don't shoot me down,
oh don't shoot me down

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Seems like some ranchers had their cattle grazing on govt land for decades and once the govt found out they wanted their money.

iannis

Musty Nester
Honestly I don't expect anyone to get shot.

I do expect there will a new Congressman or two from Nevada that use this issue to get elected.

And years from now the ranchers will probably have to pay, but not as much as they "owe". If those Congressmen are much good maybe there will be some renegotiations on land use thrown into the bargain.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Seems like some ranchers had their cattle grazing on govt land for decades and once the govt found out they wanted their money.
Yeah everything ive read about seems to show that this rancher is a turd who just didnt want to pay his bills. So far this is shaping up to be the wrong cause for uhh whatever you want to call the people coming to his "aid" to rally around.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Its all over my facebook newsfeed as trending. Facebook would not have a story that is over as trending unless it was still a story Gavinrad.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
It's funny all my friends in Vegas think the rancher is in the wrong and up where I live (rural town outside Reno) it seems like everyone is about ready to go join up with the rancher. I could see it getting bad if some of the crazy sovereign state nutjobs show up but the local folks are all talk.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Yeah everything ive read about seems to show that this rancher is a turd who just didnt want to pay his bills. So far this is shaping up to be the wrong cause for uhh whatever you want to call the people coming to his "aid" to rally around.
BLM land leases have gotten quite ridiculous in the last 10 years. They basically are forcing everyone off with insane prices and stipulations.

That said, if you cant pay the bill, you cant just use the land anyways.

frqkjt_sl

shitlord
The ranching family has been using the land since 1870ish, and this has been in the courts for 20+ years, so this is not something 'they just found out'. The rancher was told to remove his cattle to protect endangered desert tortoise, the same animal that BLM is intentionally killing due to funding cuts.

According to BLM, the rancher owes money. His position seems to be that they've been using the land since before these regulations came into being, thus they don't apply to him? Like grandfathered status. It's a complex issue - this is not analagous to some bozo deciding to drill oil in a national park.

Essentially, the federal government has no problem with the way the ranch uses the land productively for many years, to the point that the ranchers can reasonably expect to be able to continue their use of the land for ranching absent a significant government interest in ending the practice.

Squatting in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The question is, why suddenly has the BLM escalated the issue to the point they have? They didn't just send a Sheriff to assist a repo; they sent in the big guns and prevented any peaceful protest by making 'free speech zones' miles away from their activities.(i.e. you are only allowed to protest far enough away that no one sees you, and your free speech protections are only valid in the designated are). It's very shady when you consider the ridiculous justification of protecting tortoises that they themselves are killing. How much money is being spent on this eviction vs what they guy owes? It's a completely disproportionate reaction that makes you wonder their true motives. We'll likely never know.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Where can I find a good summary of this situation which I suspect involves a dipshit just arbitrarily deciding to ignore government authority for some retarded reason?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Basically BLM's been telling him to knock it off for many years and he owes over 1 million in fines. They finally decided to physically move the cattle and the hardcore anti-government types decided to get involved. They were protesting on federal land comparing it to Ruby Ridge and thinking it was Obama's next move to take their land or some other nonsense. Blm decided this was stupid and not worth all the publicity it's been getting so decided to stop removing them and just keep fining him instead.

He also thinks all fine money should go to Nevada and not the Federal Government for some damn reason.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The BLM can be a major pain in the ass. I tried to run a pipeline from a private pasture 300 yards into a BLM spring box so I could water cattle in the private pasture and shut them out of the BLM land part of the year. This is the kind of thing that BLM likes since it allows better management of the pasture. BLM said they would be okay with that so I bought the pipe and hired somebody to dig the trench. We were about to start when the BLM guys told us that we needed to have the pipeline path looked at by an archeologist to check for arrowheads or any other relics that might be there. I said sure and put everything on hold. I didn't hear back from the BLM for two years. When they finally called, they brought out 7 people (archaeologist, hydrologist, wildlife expert, and I have no idea what the rest of them were). When I heard back from them they wanted me to fence off the entire riparian area, move the existing tank a quarter mile to a place where it could no longer fill by gravity flow so it would have to have a pump at all times. There was also a few chunks of busted up concrete from an old stock tank that were deemed to be an archeological relic which needed to be protected. This would have all been at my expense. All it would have taken to improve both pastures would have been for them to let me dig a 6 inch wide trench 300 yards into their land and stick a solar pump into an existing spring box but that was obviously unacceptable. As a result I said fuck it and now I have a big pile of PVC pipe that I don't know what to do with.

That said, I don't really see how a reasonable person expects to use federal land without paying for it.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
The BLM can be a major pain in the ass. I tried to run a pipeline from a private pasture 300 yards into a BLM spring box so I could water cattle in the private pasture and shut them out of the BLM land part of the year. This is the kind of thing that BLM likes since it allows better management of the pasture. BLM said they would be okay with that so I bought the pipe and hired somebody to dig the trench. We were about to start when the BLM guys told us that we needed to have the pipeline path looked at by an archeologist to check for arrowheads or any other relics that might be there. I said sure and put everything on hold. I didn't hear back from the BLM for two years. When they finally called, they brought out 7 people (archaeologist, hydrologist, wildlife expert, and I have no idea what the rest of them were). When I heard back from them they wanted me to fence off the entire riparian area, move the existing tank a quarter mile to a place where it could no longer fill by gravity flow so it would have to have a pump at all times. There was also a few chunks of busted up concrete from an old stock tank that were deemed to be an archeological relic which needed to be protected. This would have all been at my expense. All it would have taken to improve both pastures would have been for them to let me dig a 6 inch wide trench 300 yards into their land and stick a solar pump into an existing spring box but that was obviously unacceptable. As a result I said fuck it and now I have a big pile of PVC pipe that I don't know what to do with.

That said, I don't really see how a reasonable person expects to use federal land without paying for it.
Listen brutul, people who live very far away from you and have never set foot in your state know best how to run it. Dont question it.