Waco pt2? Standoff in Nevada over cattle on BLM land

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Can amod confirm that Fanaskin's ip address is in Nevada? I have a feeling Bundy will start talking about gargling bleach soon,

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Meh, its all damage control right now. They were all up in the guys nuts until today, now they have to run like rats and pray no one remembers all the crap they were saying just a few days ago, on camera. I expect Stewart and Colbert to have fun with this latest little episode, especially since Stewart slammed Hannity yesterday over it.
Well in Beck's defense (WTF? Did I just fucking type that?!?!) he was warning about this guy from the beginning. Everyone else though went all in as you said, though it is too far from the elections now for any real price to be paid. The American attention span is like 5 minutes, not 5 months.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well in Beck's defense (WTF? Did I just fucking type that?!?!) he was warning about this guy from the beginning. Everyone else though went all in as you said, though it is too far from the elections now for any real price to be paid. The American attention span is like 5 minutes, not 5 months.
Beck probably called him once and felt him up on a few issues, then decided this isn't gonna work out

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I really don't see why the regressives are suddenly trying to put clear water between themselves and this nutjob - heisthe Republican base, and he's not saying anything they don't throw out as dogwhistles 24/7.
He's just using plain English rather than talking about "Welfare Queens" and the like.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I remember a while back I was arguing with some libertarian dipshits here (probably fanaskin) about how retarded the John Birch Society is. This guy is their paragon. He's like a walking stereotype of the people I grew up around. I think he's even Mormon.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I really don't see why the regressives are suddenly trying to put clear water between themselves and this nutjob - heisthe Republican base, and he's not saying anything they don't throw out as dogwhistles 24/7.
He's just using plain English rather than talking about "Welfare Queens" and the like.
Pretty much this. He just didn't use the euphemisms the media and most other crazies have learned to use to temper it.

Northerner

N00b
Once this global warming thing starts to kick in, you'll see exactly how excited we do get about it, Mr. Calgary.
True enough I imagine but I imagine I'll be long dead before things change much.

Still, while Calgary has been home-base for me for twenty years or so, I've spent a good portion of my time in many varied places including some of the more interesting parts of the great U.S.A. Most being much more diverse than here for certain, although that's hardly difficult.

See, I am a classist not a racist!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Under slavery I do what my master wishes as long as it'd legal for him to force me to do it.

Under perpetual debt (Ex: Where I owe more on my house than it's worth and student loans I have no way to pay off) I can do whatever I wish as long as it's legal and I pay interest on my debt.

You can't just take freedom-restraining aspects of owing money, point out comparisons of that system to slavery and say they're the same thing. If you think you can, please look to the current freedoms enjoyed by someone with a mortgage and the current freedoms enjoyed by one of the thousands of sex slaves that exist currently, or any slave in history if you want to start cherry picking.
Why not? People on the libertarian right say that taxes are 'essentially slavery' all the time.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wouldnt say slavery, but servitude. Property taxes ensure you dont own any land, you just rent it from the government.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldnt say slavery, but servitude. Property taxes ensure you dont own any land, you just rent it from the government.
There's a huge difference between renting a property and owning it in the current system. Even though the govt has certain rights to privately owned property (Taxes, imminent domain, laws on land use etc), the private owner still has massive rights that make calling it 'renting' silly.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the government could charge you for air, they would.
Sure, but that's not because they're the government, that's because they're an entity above a certain threshold of power. Don't think for a second that Intel, Apple, Monsanto, Goldman Sax, Rupert Murdoch or any of the others wouldn't do the same thing, if they could.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The US federal government doesn't collect property taxes, it's barred by the constitution. Most states don't either. It's a municipal tax... and there's plenty of shitty towns with 0 services where taxes are absurdly low.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Apparently nevada is the only state where you can actually get an allodial land title, which exempts you from property taxes and a few laws if you meet certain requirements.