Waikiki Hawaii.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Rent is still relative to house prices. 2.5k a month doesn't get you a whole lot either(usually less than 1k sqft). Unless you are literally talking about Hawaii (The Big Island) Then you can get 2 bedroom places for ~1.2k instead of ~2.5k a month. I'm sure the OP is more drawn to Oahu for the Japanese culture present there though so that's not really an option.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Phoenix is a shit hole even during the 2 months a year of nice weather.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've never been to AZ but I'd probably like the climate. I love being the sauna at the gym at least and I'm sure its like living in a sauna there.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Way late to this thread but my wife and I went to Hawaii for 8 days. Our biggest mistake was going to Oahu. Do not get me wrong, I wanted to see Pearl Harbor, but the rest of the island is a crowded shit hole and the traffic is awful. Needless to say, we started on Big Island, which was absolutely gorgeous (Especially on the Hilo side) with small privately owned shops, great prices, good food, and some nice down to earth people. When we were flying from Big Island to Oahu to finish up the 3 days, we just about were ready to cry when we were flying in. Waikiki is so commercialized it ruined damn near everything for us. As soon as we landed, we wanted to go back to Big Island. Since then, I have told everyone to avoid Oahu completely save a quick day trip flight to see Pearl Harbor and then fly the hell out of there and back to either Big Island or Kauai.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
It's even worse than that. That house is on Molokai so you can't even commute to Oahu.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's even worse than that. That house is on Molokai so you can't even commute to Oahu.
Retire
smile.png

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I tried that... it's too boring...

But I've been referring to the OP's idea to move to Hawaii and get a job while his wife gets a job as a nurse.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So here's another update. This "idea" (technically still an idea, but 90% yes at this point) is going along quite well. My wife has had 7 different interviews with Hospitals over there, and they are all extremely interested. They want her to start tomorrow, but that isn't going to happen. The two of us are going to fly out again on a Friday in the near future, then fly home on Monday. Spend the weekend dealing with a Realtor to find us an apartment or a small house that we can rent. Then we just need to buy a 2nd vehicle over there and have the dealer have it ready for us when we land at the airport. Not for when we go apartment/house hunting, but when we actually decide to move. I'm sure we could work that out with one of them closer to the date.

We're going to drive my car, which is under a lease, all the way from Pennsylvania, down south through Tennessee, Texas, Nevada, Utah then California. It's going to cost me around $1200 to ship out from Cali to Hawaii, so that works. I'm still in the process of making a Resume. It's tough, I've never had to make one before, and for added difficulty, I've only really ever worked at one place before. Granted, I have 20 years at that place, but that doesn't make for a very spectacular resume. I'm still trying to figure all of that out.

I've gotta say, thus far this is a lot easier than I would have expected it to be. But time will tell once we actually decide to make the move. I'll update this again later.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
20 years with the same company is really fucking impressive these days, especially if you're looking at staying in the same field.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So our house is on the market now. I listed it for $240k and currently have an offer of $230k. It's been up since Thursday.
I still haven't found a job out there, but I haven't been trying (yet). My wife has accepted an offer, and it's an 80% increase over what she makes out here. Pretty impressive.

Regarding the house, our realtor is trying something new. It's a 3D imaging thing that allows people to tour our house online as if it were Google Maps. I think it's pretty neat.
Check it out:
Schaunn - Matterport 3D Showcase

Tenks

Yeah thats pretty cool. Hopefully soon real estate agents will be obsolete since they're just glorified door openers at this point.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here's a bunch of pictures to document the trip out and the decision to move.

mbaSqVE.jpg

4lUMZvr.jpg

vzBgBQV.jpg

CWEoghh.jpg

m95CZEC.jpg

Ry5TbzN.jpg

PJQ8jtm.jpg

tnFMBBV.jpg

AIyhJTR.jpg

About a month after coming home, we had 32 inches of snow. It sucked.
Final nail in the coffin of Pennsylvania.

Qf5oLw1.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Someone asked me what I even wanted to do (for work) out there, and I don't know. Here is my full answer.

I honestly have no idea. I mean, I could be anything from business management down to cashier at the Dollar Tree. I'd like something a little professional though. Preferably something that requires thinking. I'd make a badass PA for some super wealthy executive, but I don't have a vagina, so I doubt that'll happen. I don't really know, expecially because I haven't even seen what the market is like out there. I've been too focused on getting my house ready to sell. I'll get my resume in order in the next few days and figure it out then.

I've also thought about starting my own place, but that isn't going to happen immediately. It'll be something I'll look at only if living out there for 4 years works out, and we decide to spend the rest of our lives there. I just don't know, but I don't want to get too heavily invested into the island until I know for certain what my future looks like.

At this point, we're going to rent a place to live and go from there with the intention of taking a 4 year long vacation. Sticking with 4 years at the very least (no matter what happens), just so we can say we tried our best and we really got to experience the area. We may hate it, we may love it. But whatever happens, we'll let it grow on us instead of taking our early opinions.

Tenks

Let us know how it goes. I've always been reluctant of falling too deep in love with anywhere I vacation because I know I'm mostly in love with not having to work, not having to worry about money and being completely care-free. I'm well aware that would not extend out for very long if I made a place my permanent residence. I'm fully aware after working and getting home at 6 in the evening my ass wouldn't walk down to the beach. I just want to sit at home and play video games, get kind of buzzed and go to sleep. Which I can do almost anywhere. I admit I toyed with the idea of moving to Hawaii after visiting (it would be fairly easy as a developer ... they have tons of open DOD jobs) but in the end I'm not sure I'd see a marked increase in quality of life. I may even see a decrease since I'd constantly be worried about money since its so expensive to live there.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
People say it's "so expensive" to live out there, but really it isn't. Especially compared to the Philadelphia rates that I'm accustom to. It's maybe a 15% increase from here, which isn't bad at all. Especially when my wife is getting an 80% increase in her pay moving out there and I'll do something where I should get a nice chunk myself (no idea what % though). Plus, never having to worry about snow again... Or cold weather? It fucking snowed last night in PA, even though it was high 70's on Friday. This area is crazy with the weather.

Tenks

Food seemed really expensive when I was there. Not just at restaurants but just going to the grocery store. Plus I think Waikiki $/sqft is only rivaled by San Francisco in the USA. Obviously if you move there I doubt you'd live on Waikiki, though.