Waikiki Hawaii.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Exactly. That's the mega expensive area, but a nice town not even 10 miles away is a lot more reasonably priced. Plus good schools.

Food is expensive if it's something not readily available close to Hawaii. Other than that, they have to ship it in, which adds $$. However, there are plenty of local growers that have things for less.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Food seemed really expensive when I was there. Not just at restaurants but just going to the grocery store. Plus I think Waikiki $/sqft is only rivaled by San Francisco in the USA. Obviously if you move there I doubt you'd live on Waikiki, though.
Yea i concurr, my last vacation w/ wife at Kihei we spent at a bed/breakfast w/ kitchen. Half our meals, i cooked, i mean you can only have so much pua/pua and fish tacos. Prices were about 10-20% higher than my Jersey prices, and for reference, Jersey prices are like 30% higher than Lancaster prices.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here's the next update:

We're flying back out there on the 24th. Coming home on the 28th. Going to go apartment / rental property shopping. I don't want to buy a house in the event we only stay there for 4 years, but renting isn't too bad. As long as we're right around $2k/month, all will be good. It also has to be pet friendly, because Baku (pitbull) is coming with.

We're going to start our ~2 week drive from PA down to Disney World, then up through New Orleans, Dallas, up to Mount Zion in Utah, down to Vegas for a day, then to San Francisco. We're meeting up with a friend from another message board out there. Then I need to load my car onto a ship. Fly down to LA, then out to Hawaii the next morning. It should be fun.

I'm renting a Uhaul trailer for the drive out there. My car surprisingly has a 2,000 pound capacity. The trailer weighs around 400 lbs, and we're only putting a little bit of stuff in there. A computer chair, my computer, a vacuum and ALL of our clothes. That's it. We'll be maybe 1,000 lbs total after all is said and done. I'm not looking forward to seeing how my car handles the extra weight, but it shouldn't be too terrible.

We'll leave PA to start our trip around May 20th.

If anyone else is around the path we're taking, I'll gladly meet up for a beer or whatever.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Let me know when you hit Dallas, I can take you to a kickass beer/food spot if you are into that sort of thing.

Hekotat

Sweet, just give me a good week's heads up when you'll be here.

EDIT: Maybe we can get some more Dallas rerollers to join.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm planning 8 days in Hawaii in May of 17, thinking 5 days on Oahu and 3 on the big island. I can do the tripadvisor top sights things, anybody got some don't miss stuff?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm planning 8 days in Hawaii in May of 17, thinking 5 days on Oahu and 3 on the big island. I can do the tripadvisor top sights things, anybody got some don't miss stuff?
Like I recommended in the past, get the blue book guides, these are updated guides done by ppl there, and they give you all the cool local (non tourist) stuff, along w/ tourist things.
Amazon.com: blue book hawaii

some advice.
DO NOT rent a convertible, that is a def tourist sign and locals will rob your car
DO NOT lock your car, take all your valuables w/ you when you're on the beach, locals will pop open your trunk to see if you got anything, if not, then they will move on to another car. This is the better alternative than having some scumbag local break your rental window, looking to score some stuff
DO NOT flaunt the blue book around, locals HATE the blue book, b/c it shows all the cool stuff, they might retaliate.

the blue book also has an app you can buy, it was nice to use cuz it'll just get directions from gmaps and you can travel fast.

You taking family or something? going to a lot of beaches? i got this popup tent
Amazon.com : Genji Sports Pop Up Family Beach Tent And Beach Sunshelter : Family Beach Cabana Tent : Sports Outdoors
it weighs 5lbs and is super UPF protective, It fit in a large suitcase nicely. It gets low ratings b/c ppl who buy it CANNOT fold it back, just watch the video and you'll be good. The other option is to get an umbrella, but unless you get a nice one, it'll just break from the winds, i've seen all those cheap umbrellas break like twigs, fall over, etc.

are you doing a BnB or hotel? usually if you find a BnB, they'll have a few "beach things" for you, the previous one i went to had a nice umbrella set and chairs (tommy bahamma) and coolers and shit, also boogey boards/snorkels, check that out b4 you decide to rent or buy.

Hekotat

some advice.
DO NOT rent a convertible, that is a def tourist sign and locals will rob your car
DO NOT lock your car, take all your valuables w/ you when you're on the beach, locals will pop open your trunk to see if you got anything, if not, then they will move on to another car. This is the better alternative than having some scumbag local break your rental window, looking to score some stuff.
Yeah, my sister just moved there and her shit got stolen TWICE in the first week.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, my sister just moved there and her shit got stolen TWICE in the first week.
Yea, when i was told to not lock my rental car by the BnB lady, i was like "WTF!", cuz i'm all crazy about personal security, but i listened to her of course. During the week i was there, i did "notice" a few trunk items moved around, like a boogey board I know i put in one way, was tossed the otherside.

some articles
Tips to Avoid Rental Car Crime in Hawaii - Living in Hawaii - Moving to Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Big Island
Tourists: Little Action Taken On High Rate Of Oahu Rental Car Theft - Civil Beat News

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
At my old job my co-workers had a $60,000 data recorder which was of absolutely no use to the average thief stolen from their trunk in Hawaii. They went to the cops and they said "Do you want the recorder back or do you want us to prosecute the people who stole it? You can probably only get one or the other." They chose the former and got the data recorder back and didn't ask questions.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Drones that carry missiles to blast Hawaii out of existence, or spy drones to watch people? Realistically, if they put cameras all over Hawaii the way they are putting them in every other major city/suburb, that would cut down on crime as well.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, everything is coming along nicely. We're leaving on our trip this Friday. The schedule is pretty easy thus far.
So here's the map with each day's travel listed with a stop point.

4PRkJw5.png

Based on that map, leaving Friday morning, we will arrive in Dallas on Monday (the 23rd), so we could go out for drinks Monday night. Let me know if that works for you.

Hekotat

Ok, everything is coming along nicely. We're leaving on our trip this Friday. The schedule is pretty easy thus far.

4PRkJw5.png

Based on that map, leaving Friday morning, we will arrive in Dallas on Monday (the 23rd), so we could go out for drinks Monday night. Let me know if that works for you.
That shouldn't be a problem. I'll pm you.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Well, I'm in Hawaii now. We landed here back on the 2nd. My car became available to pick up from Matson today, so that's a plus. Aside from that, we have found an apartment we like and will sign the papers shortly. Good deal. We're going to live in Hawaii Kai.

Hek, it was fun meeting up with you for drinks. Thanks.

Hekotat

Well, I'm in Hawaii now. We landed here back on the 2nd. My car became available to pick up from Matson today, so that's a plus. Aside from that, we have found an apartment we like and will sign the papers shortly. Good deal. We're going to live in Hawaii Kai.

Hek, it was fun meeting up with you for drinks. Thanks.
Glad you made it, I meant to text you that weekend and ask but things have been insanely busy around here. It was nice meeting you as well, when I come out we'll have to have a few beers Hawaii style.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fuck i should have met up with him so I'd have a free place to stay in hawaii

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

4PRkJw5.png

So like, which leg of this coast to coast drive was the worse?