War with Syria

Agraza

Registered Hutt
People have been saying the world is going to end soon forever. I'm glad I don't understand "apocalyptic thinking", and continuing down that line of discussion will only sideline your perspective as a joke.

Solar Power does matter, but in your phrasing it is a magic bullet that will "solve all our power needs". I didn't say that. I said we need alternatives and said why, and that China's ridiculous subsidies to steal world production of solar cells was successful in weakening our domestic production. We're both playing a long game on the world energy market, and solar is going to be a part of that unless cold fusion pans out soon.

The more invested we are in oil, the more we will intervene in the middle east while parts of it continue to produce the cheapest oil in the world. Likewise if we become less invested in oil, and China more so, they may be compelled to intervene by force as we have had to. I'd like to see how that works out. They do share a border with Afghanistan.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You brought up Solar Power as if it mattered. So yeah, you did.

Also, Iran would happily wipe Israel off the map given the opportunity. It's muddled thinking like yours and Biden's "They can have all the Fissile material they want" that is giving Iran the bomb.

And you wonder why I think civilization ends in 15ish years.
Solar Power, as an industry matters because people are buying Solar Power. If people are buying it, people are making money off it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Solar Power, as an industry matters because people are buying Solar Power. If people are buying it, people are making money off it.
Solar Power doesn't matter when we're discussing replacing power generation via oil or gas.

@Agraza nothing good will happen when India and China tangle. Just lots of dead people.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Maybe India can learn how to harness the power of shit. I hear they have alot of it everywhere in that country.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oil pays far more in taxes then it takes in subsidies.
Wind is a fraud industry that only existed because of tax breaks and government forcing power companies to buy there unstable and erratic power. It would vanish overnight if it was forced to compete.
Solar has potential if they can get a cost effective storage system set up. Maybe the same could be said about wind but the industry is completely corrupt and just spends it time trying to gouge more government subsidies instead of actually trying to become cost competitive.

Siddar

Maybe the Oil Companies could defend their own pipelines, shipping lanes and keep the Middle East stable as well.
What pipelines are being defended? Shipping lanes have to be kept open for other things besides Oil. Middle East has never been stable.

So whats your point again?

Jozu

Assad is an idiot but he at least seems like he isnt gullible or irrational. In his interview with 60 minutes he defended his talking points quite well, and presented some compelling arguments regarding his actions related to the war and how fluid the situation is there.

Obviously he is going to sell the public at largesomebullshit, and is going to slant the situation on the ground, but he appears to be in it for the long haul and isnt going to lay down. He pointed out with great enthusiasm that Egypts uprising took only 3 weeks to topple Mubarak, highlighting his pleasure in the fact that his government has held on to power for more than 2 years in the midst of a civil war and a larger religious strife with Sunni's. The longer it goes on the more resolve he will acquire. His top level military positions are basically coup proof, as they are all Alawites. They arent going to defect knowing what that would mean to them and their families, so they basically HAVE to continue to fight in Assads name. Non Alawi's are much more likely to jump the fence, but this long into the conflict, its highly unlikely whoever hasnt defected, will decide to at this point.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Because solar energy is going to solve all our power needs? Holy fuck, I can only assume you're trolling.
rolleyes.png
All? Of course not. But even just a small reduction in our peak daily energy usage would be incredibly significant, and it just so happens that peaks in daily power consumption normally occur when solar generation itself is peaking.

summer_winter_Original(1).png

It's been predicted for some time now that the future of energy use will not be any one (or even two) means of power generation - going forward we'll probably see a mix of almost every means of generation imaginable.

This new segue does seem odd though, in a thread focused on Syria. A rational person might conclude that investing in solar power would be highly desirable, if for no other reason than to help wean us off the teat of Big Oil. Especially when people in this very thread have bitched previously about how we're mired in endless Middle East conflicts because of oil interests - so why aren't more people clamoring for a push for alternative energy sources, instead of laughing them off as seemingly inconsequential?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It will help for sure, but it wont be some magic thing that will get us off the middle east oil teet. What we need is some new magic. There are scientists around the world trying to harness the power of the sun in the lab, that my friends is the future. One of them eventually will do it, its just a matter of time. Once an engine like that is started you can fuel an entire city for 10 yrs with a glass of water. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but it will happen.

https://lasers.llnl.gov/

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It will help for sure, but it wont be some magic thing that will get us off the middle east oil teet.
I never said it would be some sort of magical panacea - hence my use of the word "help". And we may as well do it now voluntarily, as we might well live to see the day when it isn't voluntary whatsoever.

Agraza is right though, particularly about subsidies (we could talk about corn subsidies for ethanol while we're at it). And I'm pretty sure when Agraza said "replacing oil" that he didn't mean some sort of one-for-one, all or nothing replacement. It will likely be by degrees, in small increments, and solar is just a part of that effort.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
President Barack Obama signed an order on Monday waiving a part of the U.S. Arms Export Control Act to permit U.S. authorities to supply protective equipment to Syrian opposition members to guard against chemical weapons. The order also extends to international organizations.
rrr_img_43742.jpg