War with Syria

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
3 shiite groups, hezbollah/syria/iran, Israel bargains that placing a Sunni led faction in Syria would cause the alliance to collapse or at least severely weaken.
'Israel wanted Assad gone since start of Syria civil war'

"The initial message about the Syrian issue was that we always wanted [President] Bashar Assad to go, we always preferred the bad guys who weren't backed by Iran to the bad guys who were backed by Iran," he said.

This was the case, he said, even if the other "bad guys" were affiliated to al-Qaida.

"We understand that they are pretty bad guys," he said, adding that this designation did not apply to everyone in the Syrian opposition. "Still, the greatest danger to Israel is by the strategic arc that extends from Tehran, to Damascus to Beirut. And we saw the Assad regime as the keystone in that arc. That is a position we had well before the outbreak of hostilities in Syria. With the outbreak of hostilities we continued to want Assad to go."

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
President Barack Obama signed an order on Monday waiving a part of the U.S. Arms Export Control Act to permit U.S. authorities to supply protective equipment to Syrian opposition members to guard against chemical weapons. The order also extends to international organizations.
If their purpose is only to provide gas masks and MOPP gear then I don't see an issue. Might be kind of a waste in the end, but then again the article does mention that this was in the pipeline some time ago.

I'm sure that there are those that will read that article and immediately assume that it will lead to us giving Abrams tanks to Al Nusra but I'm not ready to leap to conclusions just yet. I'd still prefer to not get involved but whatever.

I will say that the comments on that article were pretty much what I expected, though the "apes don't have opposeable thumbs" derail was worth a chuckle at least (more because of the idea that apes do not, rather than the allusions to Obama being an ape :/ )

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
In other news, why can't any other country supply "protective equipment"? Surely we're not the only ones in the world capable of this. When are other countries going to step up?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's been predicted for some time now that the future of energy use will not be any one (or even two) means of power generation -
Brought to us by the same people who can predict with 90% accuracy, last nights lotto numbers? Cause poke your head up and look around. We've got at least 4 main means of power generation going on in the US that I'm aware of. Coal, natural gas, nuclear, and hydro.

The (or even two) part made me lol.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Brought to us by the same people who can predict with 90% accuracy, last nights lotto numbers? Cause poke your head up and look around. We've got at least 4 main means of power generation going on in the US that I'm aware of. Coal, natural gas, nuclear, and hydro.

There's "other" category as well as "other fossil fuels" that generally get put into all the charts. You also forgot geothermal. What we'll end up seeing is some solar (the cost is so expensive per kwh though), lots of Hydro (already in the works to be geared up and new installations on existing damns..something like 200 projects in the US. Washington already gets something like 80% of its energy via hydro) with nat gas and fossil fuels filling in the peak times. Wind isn't too viable because for some reason storing wind power is more difficult (or not as efficient) than solar/hydro. Some of the new battery and supercapacitor technologies are looking really promising, though.

Edit: The sooner we see petro/gas prices rise, the more viable alternative energy sources will become. Right now, though, petro is still cheaper than most other alternatives. Need like 6$/gal to see it become not as viable and only used during peaks.

Edit 2: China's greatest increase in energy came from hydro in 2012 (not on a % basis, but in pure kwh produced). Greatest % increase was solar, iirc.

rrr_img_43760.png

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Wind isn't too viable because for some reason storing wind power is more difficult (or not as efficient) than solar/hydro.
More like the wind don't blow all the time, same reason Solar is pretty shitty outside of the Sunbelt.

People shit on coal as not being green, but without coal the planet would be forestless. We would have burned up all the trees decades ago.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Well, there is that (again why conventional burning will; be required, night time, wind doesn't blow, drought, etc. - why storage is a huge bottleneck), but I was specifically talking about storage of energy.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/s...ge-090913.html
"Our primary goal was to calculate their overall energetic cost - that is, the total amount of fuel and electricity required to build and operate these storage technologies. We found that when you factor in the energetic costs, grid-scale batteries make sense for storing surplus solar energy, but not for wind."

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Solar energy cycle is close to the same as daily peak energy usage cycle. Not a perfect overlap because solar misses the after dark peak demand hours that happens when people head home from work and flip on all there lights, ovens, TV's, computers, and air conditioners. That's why there is so much effort in storage now because if you can just shift some of the solar energy produced in day time to after dark peak demand hours solar become a viable option for providing peak power needs.

Wind is erratic and if wind isn't blowing then wind power simply doesn't produce. It also doesn't conform to peak energy demand very well. At least with solar on a windless hot day in western US solar will be there producing at near its peak potential at times when demand is also at its yearly highest. Wind on other hand will be sidelined by lack of wind in the same scenario exactly at time when its needed the most.

Its also regional as Tad10 said but where it works it could well be very useful. California for example uses electricity for air conditioning and mostly gas for heating. So during winter months when air conditioning isn't used very much solar power will also be at its weakest the two offsetting each other then in summer the air conditioners get turned on and at same time solar power generation peaks. Solar simply has allot more synergy with existing power generation structure then wind.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Mods, please change thread title to "Alternative Energies - What's Your Preference?"

But seriously, I thought that I've read a couple times now that the intermittency of wind power isn't as big of a stumbling block as once thought, mainly because once you have enough wind generation spread over a wide enough geographic area, the peaks and valleys even out. The wind is always blowing somewhere. Improvements to the grid might be required to move the power around, though.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
How or why we aren't building nuclear reactors is idiocy. There are closed fuel-cycle reactors available, thorium reactors, all sorts of negative-feedback safety mechanisms (as opposed to positive-feedback boiling water reactors like say, all the ones that have melted down in history). The new reactors produce a tiny fraction of the nuclear waste as old designs, and that waste is radioactive for hundreds of years instead of thousands.

70-75% of our total electricity generation should be nuclear.

The govt should tax oil/gas power considerably and use that money to subsidize nuclear power station construction. Then they should put 15% of the budget used to blow up brown people into fusion power research and battery tech research.

This fossil fuel shit is fucking bullshit and everyone knows it.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
In other news, why can't any other country supply "protective equipment"? Surely we're not the only ones in the world capable of this. When are other countries going to step up?
Other countries don't really care to give free shit to al Qaeda. I'm sure you can understand this.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Btw regarding storing wind power. The trick is to combine it with hydro. When the wind blow, use less water and let the reservoir fill. When the wind stop, resume water usage. Wind is also generally pretty good on the shores of large reservoirs.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

"4 main means"doesn't even impact most markets, which makes what you say somewhat meaningless. The US isn't just one giant grid FYI, and even in the regional grids many utilities only rely on outside energy when they're forced to and normally only have one or two types of power generation for the bulk of their production. This is exactly why most need to diversify, and indeed, are diversifying.

More like the wind don't blow all the time, same reason Solar is pretty shitty outside of the Sunbelt.
That's a terrible way to look at it. Yes, you gain more at lower latitudes due to insolation, but that doesn't meant that solar is worthless outside of "sunbelts". In fact due to the nature of solar, even if you're far enough north/south that your irradiance drops, you can simply...wait for it...wait for it...create larger arrays! The only problems at that point are proper system design and the actual economics of output versus cost.

If you want an example of solar being used outside of 'sunbelts', look at Norway for example. Norway has so much hydroelectric capacity, not to mention their location, that one might wonder why they have the solar capacity that they do - but that hasn't stopped the Norwegians. And if it works for the Norwegians, I'm pretty sure that brings in to question your claim that solar is"worthless outside of sunbelts".

http://www.ife.no/en/ife/ife_news/20...hus-energipark

The solar heating system of Akershus Energi is unique in Norway, and the size makes it interesting also on the international level. 13,000 square meters of solar collectors and an accumulator tank of 1.2 million liters of water will supply heat to the central heating system of Lillestr?m.The plant will produce approximately 4 GWh heat energy over the year.
Also don't forget that Canada has the world's largest solar plant, at least until some of the others under construction now are completed. And last I checked Canada wasn't in a sunbelt, so please explain why Canada can make a solar plant work when you say that solar should be worthless up there.

People also have mentioned storage - yeah it's an issue but one they've been working on for a while now. Some expect the battery market to assplode if homeowners with small PV setups (utility interconnected or not) actually start increasing on their own w/o massive inducements. This way the onus for storage could/would be distributed to homeowners, rather than having to build battery farms. The other thing is that there are ways to store energy right now. Wind turbines could store energy by pumping water (already exists, look up pumped-storage hydroelectric for example) without the development of new tech, and with solar they've been experimenting with stuff like molten salt thermal storage (more for non-PV solar).

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
What is so fucking important that the pres must authorize funding known terrorists with weapons to stop Assad? I mean holy shit, we didn't do this kind of shit in a WORLD WAR.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Erronius. Fuck wind power. You know how many fucking birds get killed by wind turbines? A fuck of a lot.

@Warhead
The President's action are, as with much of what he's done during his imperial presidency, illegal. The President doesn't get to "suspend" laws to do what he wants. Reality is that, Mr. lock-em-up-without-due-process & btw pass the Patriot Act why don't you Bush gave more respect to the Constitution and Seperation of Powers than Obama.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
da birds

In fact, the Obama administration is so fixated on wind power that it recently gave a California-based wind company an exemption from prosecution if a turbine kills a California condor, one of the rarest birds in the world, with only around 400 alive today. And the administration is hoping to grant a similar exemption to all wind farms along the 1,500-mile Texas to North Dakota migratory corridor for the whooping crane, another of the world's rarest birds.

Wind turbines kill around 600,000 birds annually

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's the word for a change in the environment that creates new conditions for natural selection to occur? Evolutionary stimuli?

Let the most windmill averse california condor survive.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Giving protection from prosecution to an energy company that may kill endangered wildlife?

Most. Liberal. President. Ever.