War with Syria

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
. But it'sespeciallycocked up because at this point the target of reprisals has had a full week to prepare for them.

Even Cheney was better than this.
I really don't think he can prepare.

Can someone explain to me how Assad fights the rebels with the US blowing the shit out of anything thats Syrian Army that pokes its head out of a hole. How do you hold any territory or stop any advance? What happens to the Army with its entire leadership and command structure in hiding? What's to stop rebels from taking over and occupying fortified bases in strategic locations? How is Assad going to stop the flood of weapons, equipment and reinforcements from Saudi Arabia from flooding over the border, or maintain his life support to Russia and Iran?

Once we take over the skies, Assad is completely fucked

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Alright, so assume that Assad believes that to be true. Given what is known of the man what course of action do you believe he will choose?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Frankly I don't want to get involved in any war we aren't planning on going balls to the wall to win.
So much this. If we're going to go in and spank some sovereign ass, we'd damn well better make it count. I am sick and tired of governments trying to fight wars without any casualties. Those casualties are important fordeterring more wars. Not to mention we are completely ineffective at it. It's like losing Vietnam has stuck us in this loop where we keep refighting that war and hoping the same tactics and ideals will when in spite of history proving otherwise.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Alright, so assume that Assad believes that to be true. Given what is known of the man what course of action do you believe he will choose?
Whatever allows him to survive. I think he has to try to hide as much as he can and then come out after 90 days and claw back whatever he lost in an all out battle of the bulge type offensive.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I really don't think he can prepare.

Can someone explain to me how Assad fights the rebels with the US blowing the shit out of anything thats Syrian Army that pokes its head out of a hole. How do you hold any territory or stop any advance? What happens to the Army with its entire leadership and command structure in hiding? What's to stop rebels from taking over and occupying fortified bases in strategic locations? How is Assad going to stop the flood of weapons, equipment and reinforcements from Saudi Arabia from flooding over the border, or maintain his life support to Russia and Iran?

Once we take over the skies, Assad is completely fucked
NBC.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
If I were Assad I'd say fuck this shit and chuck everything I've got toward Isreal. If we strike, the only outcome is him eventually getting executed in the streets.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Whatever allows him to survive. I think he has to try to hide as much as he can and then come out after 90 days and claw back whatever he lost in an all out battle of the bulge type offensive.
Saddam was captured and hung. Qaddafi was shot in the street. I hope he prioritizes keeping himself in power above all other concerns but I fear that he'll see the writing on the wall and choose to do as much damage as he possibly can.

If I were Assad I'd say fuck this shit and chuck everything I've got toward Isreal. If we strike, the only outcome is him eventually getting executed in the streets.
Don't forget igniting your own oil fields. Drive the cost of oil as high as you can.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You don't get to where you are, by birth or otherwise, without having an ego that would prevent you from doing something like this.

iannis

Musty Nester
He pretty much legit despises Israel to begin with and one of the things holding him in check has been the looming threat of U.S. intervention.

If that is no longer a threat then... why not. If Russia can't stop the War Machine from rolling over him (remains to be seen, their implied threats aren't hollow) then why not.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
probably refering to this
rrr_img_42456.jpg

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Any U.S. bombing mission in Syria is unlikely to effectively protect civilians and runs the risk of instigating a regional war and greater U.S. involvement, according to a study just published by the RAND Corporation.

The conflict comprises numerous fronts that now extend across most of the country.However, the fiercest fighting has
taken place along the north-south corridor that links Damascus with Homs, Hama, Idlib, and Aleppo. Beyond encompassing
the main population centers, this corridor has particular strategic value since it links the Assad regime's seat of power (Damascus) with its political base in the northwest. It also contains important supply routes that both the regime and the opposition use to move equipment and fighters to the fronts.
rrr_img_42470.png

Enable Opposition Forces to Defeat the Regime. If applied with sufficient effort, airpower (along with material and advisory assistance to the Syrian opposition) could alter the course of the Syrian civil war by striking regime*forces, particularly armor and artillery.However, tipping the balance on the battlefield to the point of enabling the*opposition to stalemate or defeat regime forces would not automatically translate into influence over subsequent political*events in Syria, either in the messy aftermath of an opposition victory or in the longer term, as a new postwar order was*established.
rrr_img_42471.png

Negate Syrian Airpower
The mission most often proposed for Western airpower in discussions of intervention in Syria is to deny the Assad regime the use of air power as a means of attacking Syrian civilians and as a tool to support and facilitate military operations against opposition forces. is mission could be accomplished in two ways. The first option would be to establish and maintain an NFZ to keep the Syrian air force from approaching, or at least from approaching areas where it might attack rebel forces or their supporters, by threatening to shoot down aircraft that violate a specified exclusion zone (which, if it did not encompass the entire country, would likely include the airspace above and around the SAAF's bases, thus proscribing its aircraft from taking off). The United States and its allies have some experience conducting such missions in the Balkans and Iraq in the 1990s.The second option would be to simply destroy the Syrian air force or render its bases inoperative, thereby grounding its aircraft without having to rely on intimidation to achieve the result. is was the approach used in Libya in 2011, where the so-called NFZ actually amounted to destroying the Libyan air force on the ground at the outset of the operation. In Syria, the latter approach would be more decisive and, in many ways, could be less challenging than the former, although it might be harder to enlist international support for such an unconditionally destructive strategy.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
US involvement in this situation makes zero sense to me. I've been looking for a realist explanation for it, but I still have no clue what it is.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its too bad that america has to bomb syria now for no reason because if we dont we end up looking like pussies. thanks barry.