War with Syria

Agraza

Registered Hutt
We're stepping on our economy by subsidizing oil already. And if not for China's manipulation of the global solar cell market we'd be doing better domestically producing those. There is already a series of complex subsidies that favor the status quo. I am for a reduction of those, not an increase in others.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
We're stepping on our economy by subsidizing oil already. And if not for China's manipulation of the global solar cell market we'd be doing better domestically producing those. There is already a series of complex subsidies that favor the status quo. I am for a reduction of those, not an increase in others.
Because solar energy is going to solve all our power needs? Holy fuck, I can only assume you're trolling.
rolleyes.png

Since you like throwing transcripts around... (Note this is from April 30 this year). Sounds like Obama is quite interested in regime change, admitted that chemical weapons is a game changer, and wants to make sure before he takes any action (against who?) he needs to have the facts, and even spells them out "but we don't know how they were used, when they were used, who used them; we don't have chain of custody that establishes what exactly happened.".

Now he does - and he didn't act. It wasn't a game changer. Now.. later in that transcript, he refused to say military action. But read what he said. He extremely politically said nothing but fluff. Non-answers. "We will look at our options". "I'm talking to the pentagon about what actions will be available to us", etc. Sorry, but you don't consult the pentagon unless you're taking military action.

Most political fluff answer ever:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-changer-syria
Lol. You're a dumbfuck. This is the most extreme example of selective reading ever. WE'VE WORKED TO STRENGTHEN THE REBELS ! BY GIVING THEM RADIOS AND WALKY-TALKIES AND THROWING SOME SANCTIONS AT ASSAD! WE'VE CALLED REPEATEDLY THAT ASSAD STEP DOWN ! How the fuck does that = we are contemplating using military force to bring about regime change ?

Face it. You're wrong about this and you were wrong about "no one in the international community knowing who ordered the attack." The U.S. knew, NATO knew, the Germans, French, and British also knew.

The only time military force was discussed or contemplated was with chemical weapons in mind, period. You plastered 9 paragraphs together, highlighted 4 words, and none of that changed this fact. The worst thing you can say about that answer was that he was too damn wordy ! OOOHHH BURNNN!!

Obama may have preferred that Assad step down, BUT HE NEVER THREATENED MILITARY FORCE TO DO SO. Learn some fucking reading comprehension.

Nimchammund_sl

shitlord
Hi Fanaskin,

I disagree that nothing happens. When Syria shot down a Turkish Jet in June 2012, emergency meetings were called together and the Turkish Rules of Engagement against Syrian forces allied to Assad change. When Syria shelled the border and Turkish casualties amounted to 5 Turkish Civilians in October 2012, the United States sent patriot missiles to the border. Don't tell me that "nothing happens."

The country's rules of engagement changed after Syria shot down a Turkish plane in June 2012. Turkish officials did not publicly announce details of the revised rules of engagement, but some reports claimed Turkish forces would fire on any Syrian forces approaching within five kilometers of the Turkish border on the Syrian side.

In October the same year, a shell killed five civilians in the Ak?akale district of Sanliurfa province. To protect Turkey, the United States, the Netherlands and Germany deployed batteries of ground-to-air NATO Patriot missiles and hundreds of soldiers along the Syrian border in southern Turkey at the request of Ankara.
See article above.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
it's not going to lead to war between syria and turkey other than the proxy sunny/shiite war they are already engaged in through belligerent proxies, is what I mean by "nothing will happen", beyond retaliation strikes if any.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Syria: nearly half rebel fighters are jihadists or hardline Islamists, says IHS Jane's report

Opposition forces battling Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria now number around 100,000 fighters, but after more than two years of fighting they are fragmented into as many as 1,000 bands.
The new study by IHS Jane's, a defence consultancy, estimates there are around 10,000 jihadists - who would include foreign fighters - fighting for powerful factions linked to al-Qaeda..
Another 30,000 to 35,000 are hardline Islamists who share much of the outlook of the jihadists, but are focused purely on the Syrian war rather than a wider international struggle.
There are also at least a further 30,000 moderates belonging to groups that have an Islamic character, meaning only a small minority of the rebels are linked to secular or purely nationalist groups.
The stark assessment, to be published later this week, accords with the view of Western diplomats estimate that less than one third of the opposition forces are "palatable" to Britain, while American envoys put the figure even lower.
Al-Qaeda has assassinated several FSA rebel commanders in northern Latakia province in recent weeks, and locals say they fear this is part of a jihadist campaign to gain complete control of the territory.
As well as being better armed and tougher fighters, ISIL and Jabhat al-Nusra have taken control of much of the income-generating resources in the north of the country, including oil, gas and grain.
This has given them significant economic clout, allowing them to "win hearts and minds" by providing food for the local population in a way that other rebel groups cannot.
ISIS has also begun a programme of "indoctrination" of civilians in rebel-held areas, trying to educate Syria's traditionally moderate Sunni Muslims into a more hard-line interpretation of Islam.
In early September, the group distributed black backpacks with the words "Islamic State of Iraq" stamped on them. They also now control schools in Aleppo where young boys are reportedly taught to sing jihadist anthems.
"It seems it is some sort of a long-term plan to brainwash the children and recruit potential fighters," said Elie Wehbe, a Lebanese journalists who is conducting research into these activities.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'm in favor of letting Iran develop nukes. I think they're just trying to be sovereign and join the big boy club, not actually use them. There is zero upside to using them. And the people running Iran are serious people that can comprehend that.
Zero upside to using them? What the fuck are you smoking. Iran gets nukes. They launch a nuclear assault on Israel. Israel is destroyed. Iran is destroyed.

Huge upside. They have destroyed Israel, and were all martyred in the process.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Losing Israel as a nemesis would be a terrible thing. They're a distraction that stabilizes the politics of Iran. At no point will they ever attack Israel. They would lose everything. And what is the upside? On the day after Israel is gone (and plenty of palestinians+palestinian land), what do they get? Nothing good. They get occupied, disarmed, and they'll be lucky not to lose their ethnic border regions to their neighbors or new western puppets.

It's no more likely than China attacking us. Our economies are symbiotic just as the Israel<->Iran political squabble is ideologically symbiotic. Their animosity is good for the ruling class of Israel and the enlargement of its security apparatus.

Nimchammund_sl

shitlord
Turkey to Inform UN and NATO about Syrian Helicopter it Shot Down...

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/T...downing-326283

I believe that for over a year now Turkey has been trying to collect intel suggesting Russian Forced in Tartus, Syria are providing command and control support to assad Planes Flying Near the Border of Turkey. For example, the June 2012 strike by Assad against a Turkish plane that killed 2 Turkish Pilots has drawn a connection between the aftermath and Russian forces in Tartus.

Seehttp://www.timesofisrael.com/turkish...ocuments-show/

Is this Plan B?

Is this Plan C?http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Rep...pection-326236

Future War between Israel and Hezbollah brewing?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Losing Israel as a nemesis would be a terrible thing. They're a distraction that stabilizes the politics of Iran.
Yup. But I bet they'd figure out a new enemy. Just like if Iran was out of the picture the warhawks would beat the drums at NK or Quebec.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Lol. You're a dumbfuck. This is the most extreme example of selective reading ever. WE'VE WORKED TO STRENGTHEN THE REBELS ! BY GIVING THEM RADIOS AND WALKY-TALKIES AND THROWING SOME SANCTIONS AT ASSAD! WE'VE CALLED REPEATEDLY THAT ASSAD STEP DOWN ! How the fuck does that = we are contemplating using military force to bring about regime change ?
There are tons of articles about it. But that's okay. Keep ignoring the facts, and go by what Jay Carney tells you to regurgitate.

You're wrong about this and you were wrong about "no one in the international community knowing who ordered the attack." The U.S. knew, NATO knew, the Germans, French, and British also knew.
Uh huh.Keep telling yourself that.

Obama may have preferred that Assad step down, BUT HE NEVER THREATENED MILITARY FORCE TO DO SO. Learn some fucking reading comprehension.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ublicans-syria(again) andhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ia-rebels.html

The US president said proposed strikes against the regime were part of a 'broader strategy' to topple Bashar Assad, who is accused of killing hundreds of civilians with chemical weapons.

The suggestion of 'regime change' emerged as tensions in the region were heightened further by the Israeli firing of two missiles in the eastern Mediterranean in the early hours of yesterday.
Apparently in your world not saying, specifically, "I want to use military force for regime change in Syria" means you don't want to do it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Do people really think that if Israel just goes away all of a sudden there's peace in the middle east? That's the only problem there is. Jews.

Those empires aren't historically stable and Iran wants the next one. Why wouldn't they, there's safety in empire not to mention a religious imperative. I'm not sure I really care that much, but the men doing business in that part of the world seem to care an awful lot. I pray for 0 point energy so that we can just let them slaughter each other and may the strongest ethnicity win. Like we do in Africa.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah im all for that. There just isnt any resolving of that part of the world with peace and compromise. THey will continue to slaughter each other for the name of Allah until They evolve further, IMO.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I didn't say that.
You brought up Solar Power as if it mattered. So yeah, you did.

Also, Iran would happily wipe Israel off the map given the opportunity. It's muddled thinking like yours and Biden's "They can have all the Fissile material they want" that is giving Iran the bomb.

And you wonder why I think civilization ends in 15ish years.