Warhammer 40k: Darktide

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ok, reinstalled. Did most of my setting prior to launching game. Still low settings and DLSS. Now getting between 80 and 125 FPS. Bindings still won't stick. Need to redo after every launch.

There aren't many variety of weapons so far at level 6. Looks like 11 is a milestone, since one of the stores is locked till 11.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think beta specifically has limited weapons, you just don't get much yeah. Talents might be the thing that unlocks at 11? They're all locked at low lvl but don't say what you need to unlock like a level milestone or something, so might be what it is.

Played a couple of runs to see, it's interesting, different than vermintide since there's much more emphasis on ranged, even on Ogryn(you can use your special to charge in for melee, but when it's not up it's a bit weird trying to sprint into enemies that are supressing you).

They also released a small anouncement about some of the post release patch cycles. Seems they won't be selling maps and such, but instead will be selling classes. They're launching with one class for each character(with 18weapons each assuming the spread is even, they said 72weapons), and plan on releasing a new class every quarter. They haven't decided on actual monetization yet but I'd expect something like buy outright or buy a season pass and grind the class+cosmetics kind of monetization, which is eh especially if you're returning but we'll see.

Game definitely needs some optimization though, it runs kinda shit. Especially the first run was horrible, second one ran better, not sure if they didn't decrypt assets before the game launched or whatever, was a bit weird.

One thing I liked is with the character customization and stuff, they don't force you into 1 of each class thing like they did in Vermintide, which is great since finding parties as Kerillian was a big pita early on, and whenever they released a new career it'd be horrible to try it in a party since everyone wanted to play the new stuff. I assume there's still an advantage to it because the aura stacking might not work with doubles, but not sure.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Game definitely needs some optimization though, it runs kinda shit. Especially the first run was horrible, second one ran better, not sure if they didn't decrypt assets before the game launched or whatever, was a bit weird.

That would make sense. I did a reinstall. Started the game, and just sat there in the lobby waiting to finish a Zoom call. I then restarted because I changed the visual settings. 120+ FPS

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
There is no mouse sensitivity slider and adjusting shit in windows does nothing for it in game. Game companies really are trying their best to not get my money these days.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
There is no mouse sensitivity slider and adjusting shit in windows does nothing for it in game. Game companies really are trying their best to not get my money these days.

Yeah, my bad. That is for controller...

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Forget the technical issues...

Vermintide 2 is better than this in every single way gameplay wise. The mele combat especially.

Ranged enemies are damn near worse than those beastmen archers in VT2 also. AND they blend in too much with the background half the time.

Hope they figure this out. So far a pass from me. Damn I wanted this to be my next time sink.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm pretty damn salty about the mouse sensitivity. Definitely a wait and see.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Forget the technical issues...

Vermintide 2 is better than this in every single way gameplay wise. The mele combat especially.

Ranged enemies are damn near worse than those beastmen archers in VT2 also. AND they blend in too much with the background half the time.

Hope they figure this out. So far a pass from me. Damn I wanted this to be my next time sink.
Played it for an hour or so. Ranking is: LFD2 > Vermintide 2 > Darktide > Aliens: Fireteam

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
All in on launch knowing full well it will be a fun shit show for 6 months like every game they put out.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I actually played it, but it just "seems" boring.

It kina isn't fun IMO. There are four difficulty levels. The 1st two are easy/no fun. Level three I have completed 3 times out of four. Level four I haven't attempted. No one queues for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does it actually add to the experience, almost making it .. maybe a horror game? or is just an annoyance, though?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Does it actually add to the experience, almost making it .. maybe a horror game? or is just an annoyance, though?

I thought the dark maps in Vermintide 2 were great. The annoyance was having to put the down the torch every few feet depending on the difficulty. That's clearly not an issue here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Luetin is a really good narrator.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
The core of this OST track sounds just like Demiurge - Meshuggah, mixed with a bit of The Only Thing They Fear Is You - DOOM Eternal or Meathook

Last edited: