Warhammer 40k: Darktide

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Being able to blow up enemies without LOS is the biggest boon to psyker. I'm only 19 so I haven't seen the full tree yet. They have a lot of good cc as well with the staff but they are tough to play due to all the buttons.

Hopefully they work on the feats, the vet traits are incredible and that class is a powerhouse, I dont see how it doesn't get nerfed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So I don’t know anything about Warhammer in general, aside from playing Vermintide 2 and the characters in it.

In the “Warhammer Universe” how does Darktide relate to Vermintide?

Obviously one is medieval and one is futuristic. Are they similar to different campaigns in AD&D or something?

Kinda one thing I miss in Darktide, all the very well written and voice acted interactions between the characters like VT2 has. Not only amusing but gives a little flavor. Some of them are legitimately funny.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Why the fk are Ogryn so rare? Ive played with one out of like 6 games so far. I agree that matches take entirely too fkn long sometimes.
Most of that is familiarity with the level. Hekotat Hekotat , Hatorade Hatorade and I are clearing Heresy maps in about 28 minutes, give or take depending on conditions and 2ndary objectives.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I don’t know anything about Warhammer in general, aside from playing Vermintide 2 and the characters in it.

Obviously one is medieval and one is futuristic. Are they similar to different campaigns in AD&D or something?

Kinda one thing I miss in Darktide, all the very well written and voice acted interactions between the characters like VT2 has. Not only amusing but gives a little flavor. Some of them are legitimately funny.
40K is only loosely related to Warhammer Fantasy. There's no direct "this is the same world in the future", and it's more like a take on a scifi futuristic fantasy mix. Some races are the more or less the same and some are just new/very different. For example Orks are very much just like Orcs, they build stupid shit, just want to fight stuff and do just what orcs normally do like a big Waagh. No gobs though. But on the other end, the Empire is very different with 40K Empire being somewhat split between "normal" people which are largely just cannon fodder trash that overpower enemies via numbers and equipment(Imperial Guard or Astra Militarum as they call them now) and super powered genetically altered demi gods in combat space suits (Space Marines). The former is somewhat similar to the Empire in Fantasy but not entirely. And then 40k have stuff like Tyranids which are your typical xenomorph Aliens race with the hive mind and stuff. I think it's best to just consider it a separate thing, although some ideas are in both games(Chaos for example).

• 1Like

Hedeon

Molten Core Raider
more bitching. the Penance system.
I'll never understand why devs do dumb shit like this. Its a co-op game. Why the fuck are so many penances anti-team play? "solo a monstrosity on heresy difficulty or higher with only brain blast. no one else can do any damage to it" Half the challenges require you to ask your team to fuck around, and let you line up a shot, or do some dumb shit, to achieve.
The best part about this is when people got a reply from the Community Manager he pulled a Blizzard and said "don't you have friends". Some of the replies they have given the community have been so cringe worthy, telling us DT classes are different from VT careers, or that putting in an option to buy the amount of currency you'd like for a cosmetic is "immeasurably complex" despite having already made a shop that did just that...

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
more bitching. the Penance system.
I'll never understand why devs do dumb shit like this. Its a co-op game. Why the fuck are so many penances anti-team play? "solo a monstrosity on heresy difficulty or higher with only brain blast. no one else can do any damage to it" Half the challenges require you to ask your team to fuck around, and let you line up a shot, or do some dumb shit, to achieve.
I think these were created in mind that if you were the only person left standing to make these accomplishments. These types of achievements existed in VT2 also as I recall.

The side effect being of course randos in PUGs ask everyone to waste their time and let them do them, which I don’t remember that ever occurring in VT2 so much. Human nature, or human nature of spergs, is such that retards that don’t know you are going to ask for concessions such as this at the expense of everyone else, which makes them a bad idea.

Hekotat

40K is only loosely related to Warhammer Fantasy. There's no direct "this is the same world in the future", and it's more like a take on a scifi futuristic fantasy mix. Some races are the more or less the same and some are just new/very different. For example Orks are very much just like Orcs, they build stupid shit, just want to fight stuff and do just what orcs normally do like a big Waagh. No gobs though. But on the other end, the Empire is very different with 40K Empire being somewhat split between "normal" people which are largely just cannon fodder trash that overpower enemies via numbers and equipment(Imperial Guard or Astra Militarum as they call them now) and super powered genetically altered demi gods in combat space suits (Space Marines). The former is somewhat similar to the Empire in Fantasy but not entirely. And then 40k have stuff like Tyranids which are your typical xenomorph Aliens race with the hive mind and stuff. I think it's best to just consider it a separate thing, although some ideas are in both games(Chaos for example).

This video did a good job explaining it quickly

• 1Like

Hekotat

They still do the back and forth, I've heard a few funny ones.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
They still do the back and forth, I've heard a few funny ones.
Cool. I only played a few hours before going on vacation. Still gone for another week and a couple of days but look forward to hitting it again with patches in effect since two weeks ago.

Caliane

yeah, the banter is great.

it is slightly different, of course.
in Vt2. you had the set characters more. So, you could assign personalities to them a bit easier. Job class within those characters actually affected banter as well. Like Kruber worshiping Taal, and Kerillian praising him, were tied to Hunstman profession.

here each class has 3 characters actually. It'd help if the personality was listed, not just class and job. Veteran sharpshooter. psyker pyrokinetic

My psyker is a "savant". The french accent one for female. She is a professional, used to be an officer it seems. Calm and in control. (not sure how much is from backstory choices. I did pick agriworld, farmer, and iirc either black ship or the similar one right above, labeled a witch?)

Not sure which one is the "my beloved" crazy psyker.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>

in Vt2. you had the set characters more. So, you could assign personalities to them a bit easier. Job class within those characters actually affected banter as well. Like Kruber worshiping Taal, and Kerillian praising him, were tied to Hunstman profession.

here each class has 3 characters actually. It'd help if the personality was listed, not just class and job. Veteran sharpshooter. psyker pyrokinetic

My psyker is a "savant". The french accent one for female. She is a professional, used to be an officer it seems. Calm and in control. (not sure how much is from backstory choices. I did pick agriworld, farmer, and iirc either black ship or the similar one right above, labeled a witch?)

Ohhh yeah. I was wondering what / if any those background choices made. Never read up on them.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Developed by the same company and writers, but different universes and different lore.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Im playing the Veteran (cause I thought it would be less played, not the most...) and it had options within the character creator that restricted which voice you can choose. I think the planet is "Calia" or something that allows you to have the gangster irish accent. If I had more faith in the company, I would say the rest of your choices probably also affect what those characters say or dont say mixed in with some generic lines. The one that gave me a laugh yesterday was "Didnt you just pick up the last bit of ammo?" followed by another character stating "Quit hoggin' all the ammo!" etc. They're definitely fun in that regard.

This video did a good job explaining it quickly

Yes, the lore is separated "technically." But there is so much overlap that you just have to begin wondering if the creators arent trying to pass off the illusion that they are one and the same universe at times. Where it was alluded to that the Fantasy side was pre-40k times - or, something Im partial to - that Warhammer Total War type of world is just one world of many that the greater factions of 40k use for grain etc. A feudal world for example. Heres a list of all of the different types of worlds in Warhammer. Also, you have fantastic fan created animations like this:

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Sigmar is one of the two redacted/lost primarchs. Change my mind.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Something just occurred to me during a bitchfest with a friend.

WHY DO LASRIFLES HAVE A CHARGING HANDLE?!?!?

Caliane

40k is not the future of Warhammer fantasy. Terra/Earth in literally Earth in 40k. The world in Warhammer fantasy looks alot like Earth, but isn't. like westeroes, or Middle earth.
Warhammer Fantasy COULD be a lost colony in the "current" 30-41st millenia's.

There are some physical differences in the universe that would set it apart totally though. Warpstone, magic, etc. the gods. work differantly.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sigmar is one of the two redacted/lost primarchs. Change my mind.
If you really believe that go read Graham McNeill's Legend of Sigmar trilogy. Heldenhammer alone will probably be enough to disabuse you of that notion.