Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How is this not canceled yet after all the industry turmoil in MMO space? ESO tanked, Wildstar had no traction, Blizzard cancels their next MMO... I mean...

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Why doesn't Games Workshop just make Warhammer Tabletop Online? Isn't Magic The Gathering making a shit ton of money with their online game?
I could get behind this. I love the 40k setting but even if I could forgive myself for spending the absurd amount of money they ask for those books and figurines, I don't know anyone who plays.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
There's definitely a crisis of sorts right now with 40k, in some areas entire communities have shrunk or died off while elsewhere people continue on like nothing has changed. I thought about buying a couple hundred dollars worth of 40k stuff for myself this Christmas, but the more tolerable half of the people I know who played have quit and sold off their armies and the one that remain are the multiple-army powergamers who chase the FoTM lists and netlist to the point that you need to be a masochist to play against them.

I was just talking with some RL friends about playing Bloodbowl, as you don't have to invest hundreds or even thousands of dollars into a game that will skullfuck you in a few years when they change the game again. I've always thought that a tabletop game of Fantasy or 40k would be amazing, but then again GW likes to sell off the licensing rights to random fuckstick Devs and you end up with games like Shadow of the Horned Rat.Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon on Steammight be a good example but I'm not sure which way that game is going to go and not sure if I want to drop money on it yet.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I am still buying all the codexs (for lore!) and art books (eyes candy!). I just love the 40K universe. But no, I don't buy any armies or play the actual tablet game. Not at all.

Goatface

they should make a game like skylander or disney infinity and put little chips in all their figures/models

their outlook for the future can not be that bright in the tabletop world.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
they should make a game like skylander or disney infinity and put little chips in all their figures/models

their outlook for the future can not be that bright in the tabletop world.
The outlook for the future has been grim for a long ass time and they manage to keep mucking through.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Isn't GW afraid of a real PC clone of the tabletop game hurting sales?
Yea but it won't matter in the long run for several reason:

1) 3D printers
2) Decades of fucking over their fanbase
3) Kids use electronic devices, they don't have to rely on material hobbies anymore

Once all the neckbeards die off, it's finished. Even with their shady business practices of fucking everyone over, the reality is that WH is the antithesis of instant gratification. The hobby prep work is an absurd time sink and the game has not been streamlined - it's still bloated and the focus is on 'spend $10,000 and 10 hours to mash titans together'.

I dislike that fact because I love the universe, but thems the breaks. Even looking at specific market-share (ie, ignoring that tablet which could have been a box set for Xmas), GW is bleeding out supporters to newer more 'modern' games that understand the changes in the marketplace. EX: prepainted minis, accessible pricing, shorter games suitable for tournament play, smaller table space needed, more community involvement, etc.

Oh well. RIP 40K & GW, it's been a long slow death, I just wish you'd stop acting like Steve Jobs and either get treatment or die already.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I think GW has done some dumb things, but its really not them being blatant assholes.

Remember, their entire business model is based on the sale of models. They own the entire thing from the making of the models, to the paints, to the tools, to the chain of stores. They have to keep the sale of models and accessories as robust as possible otherwise the whole thing collapses. The tighter their margins, the less likely they are going to be to cut deeper into their own profits by giving people and alternative to the table top game. They are going to have to totally collapse, lay off their factory and distribution people and have nothing left to lose before they do what everyone is clamoring for.

One of the reasons people are so into WH;40k is that it has decades of solid world building behind it, but its business model is also decades old, and they are locked into it.

I know it must be killing the executives though from a profit making standpoint. If they went entirely digital, with micro-transactions for everything from different units to paints for individualizing models to bits for modeling they would absolutely kill it. No overhead, no stores, no expensive equipment, a fraction of the needed employees..

Yeah, it sucks they we dont get the game we want, but it probably keeps a few thousand people employed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think GW has done some dumb things, but its really not them being blatant assholes.

Remember, their entire business model is based on the sale of models. They own the entire thing from the making of the models, to the paints, to the tools, to the chain of stores. They have to keep the sale of models and accessories as robust as possible otherwise the whole thing collapses. The tighter their margins, the less likely they are going to be to cut deeper into their own profits by giving people and alternative to the table top game. They are going to have to totally collapse, lay off their factory and distribution people and have nothing left to lose before they do what everyone is clamoring for.

One of the reasons people are so into WH;40k is that it has decades of solid world building behind it, but its business model is also decades old, and they are locked into it.

I know it must be killing the executives though from a profit making standpoint. If they went entirely digital, with micro-transactions for everything from different units to paints for individualizing models to bits for modeling they would absolutely kill it. No overhead, no stores, no expensive equipment, a fraction of the needed employees..

Yeah, it sucks they we dont get the game we want, but it probably keeps a few thousand people employed.
Except the company is being lead by MBAs instead of people with half a clue. Despite falling demand for tactile hobbies worldwide due to the digital revolution, they've continued on their 'less for more' approach to selling product. There's countless examinations of molding and material costs out there if you want to make your own judgements. The reality is they look at a fixed but extremely loyal fan base and instead of innovating to save the company, they've taken the short term Hail Mary approach of 'well just charge them more!' to continue operations with increased costs and inflation taking its toll.

There is no explanation for why they switch away from more expensive pewter to an obviously un(der)tested and awful but cheaper resin mix increased prices - GW was trying to sell 'improved quality' when the models were clearly inferior. You'd have to be punch drunk on that KoolAid to NOT come to the conclusion by the time Finecast hit the shelves that they were out to rape their loyal customers in the pockets no matter the cost. If irrational and planned price increases that did not mirror economic conditions or material pricing over the last 15 years (much less variable product quality) didn't convince you, at least that should have. Some things have improved, a lot. But the reality is that when GW runs a $ by points value pricing scheme (except when it needs to be more expensive because of the 'volume of raw materials', of course)... I mean how do you defend that? Why does a dude with a smaller gun that costs more points cost more money when it takes less materials to make?

They are locked into their business model because they choose to be. Other companies have found ways to grow their brands (hint: its by making it easier to get into not absurdly challenging, expensive and time consuming) such as offering pre-painted models to assist the gamer-only segment or realizing tournament play and media was the next big thing so making it airtight. GW has continued the same schlock with 'well yea but space marines...' in rules making since second edition. At least in first edition space marines were just 'cool dudes' and not demigods which mysteriously lost a tremendous amount of relative power as soon as GW realized they could just set up the points system to make you buy EVEN MORE models instead of just adding another layer of invulnerability to your centerpiece character.

Bah.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I was on board until roughly the 83rd time one of the marines used the word 'brother' in an expositional remark.

Why must you hate this game, Brother?
Amen-Brother.jpg