Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have to admit, you guys are thinking way too big. As I read through this thread, and the excellent suggestions it contains, I cannot help but see the stereotypical game show counter spinning faster and higher.

Normally I don't comment on threads like this but fuck it, I have actually thought about this way more than anyone reasonably should, with a ~10 page concept I made for fun and to test a new piece of writing software (Scrivener is pretty awesome btw.)

So, here is the conclusion I reached. As awesome as a vast, sprawling, multi-race, Eve style MMORPG in the 40k universe would be I don't really think it is possible to make such a game within a reasonable, or even unreasonable, budget. I'd strip the game way down to its bare parts for release.

I would structure the game simply at launch. The game is PvE based, and all players are Space Marines (or, if you REALLY want female characters include the Sisters of Battle). The classes fall into general archetypes, I was thinking something like Tactical, Assault, Devastator, and Tech Marines. Each one has a selection of equipment, sometimes overlapping, that determines their "abilities". Moment to moment game-play would resemble the under appreciated (IMO) "Space Marine" game that came out a couple of years ago. So, a combination of melee and shooter game-play with load outs and limited ability selection within a level.

Progression is achievement based, you don't have levels per say but you can unlock gear, upgrades, and whatever progression elements you have through completing certain objectives or kinds of objectives. So, killing 5 hive tyrants would unlock the relic flamer for example (spit-balling here).

[way more stuff]
My man. Did you just describe ToR? The only thing you're missing is voice acting.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Last I checked TOR is still a hotbar/tab-targeting MMO. Gameplay in the style of Space Marine would be an entirely different (and better) game even if you used the Star Wars universe instead of WH40K.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
/necro

Was reading 40k rumor stuffs today...

Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k News and Rumors
Warhammer 40,000 Eternal Crusade: 40k MMO - Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k News and Rumors
Exclusive Pre Alpha Gameplay Footage | Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade Videos | MMORPG

I have been given permission to post up a preview of the pre-alpha version of the new 40k MMO, Eternal Crusade. A Warhammer 40k MMO has always been something I was interested in, as I would love to see the 40k universe from a first person perspective and was a little frustrated when Dark Millennium went away. So of course any news on a new game catches my attention, and this one takes on the look and feel of the first person shooter Space Marine.

Please remember that this is pre-alpha, and things will only get better from here, graphics, game play, etc.

It is approved early footage of the 40K MMO - Eternal Crusade. The team at Behaviour Interactive let us in to play the game and have signed off on us showing the footage. Even GW signed off on it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wait so a 40k mmo is still in the works? Did I miss something? Who picked this up when THQ/Vigil folded?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Wait so a 40k mmo is still in the works? Did I miss something? Who picked this up when THQ/Vigil folded?
rrr_img_57787.jpg

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Im excited about it. Not a fan of the over the shoulder view. Would prefer either first person or 3rd person Star Wars battlefront style. Everything else looks pretty sweet. I'm curious though what separates this from Space Marine? Looks exactly like playing Space Marrine online. Oh goody gumdrops i gets to be an Ork.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Im excited about it. Not a fan of the over the shoulder view. Would prefer either first person or 3rd person Star Wars battlefront style. Everything else looks pretty sweet. I'm curious though what separates this from Space Marine? Looks exactly like playing Space Marrine online. Oh goody gumdrops i gets to be an Ork.
rrr_img_57812.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, could Orks even be guilty of heresy from an Imperial view? Different race, different religion (if you could even call belief in Gork and Mork a religion per se)

Izo

Tranny Chaser
A human wanting for Xenos overlords? Yes, that would be heresy. Do you even 40K?
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Heresy_sl said:
While those men and women who turn to the worship of forbidden gods such as the Ruinous Powers or alien overlords are the most obvious of Heretics, many other variant belief systems have been declared heretical throughout the ages. What does and does not count as heresy is generally determined by the high officers of the Ecclesiarchy.
6sKhFgy.jpg

Gromit

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm curious though what separates this from Space Marine? Looks exactly like playing Space Marrine online.
They lifted the combat right from Space Marine and are borrowing heavily from that game. Of course to make it an mmo of sorts they're setting up like PS2 for conquests and all that jazz.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
They lifted the combat right from Space Marine and are borrowing heavily from that game. Of course to make it an mmo of sorts they're setting up like PS2 for conquests and all that jazz.
Good move, I quite liked Space Marine. Overall I think it was underrated, although many of the criticisms leveled at it were valid.

uup2it_sl

shitlord
Good move, I quite liked Space Marine. Overall I think it was underrated, although many of the criticisms leveled at it were valid.
It imo was the best space marine game to date. The buildings and world felt right. Admitidly the bolters where not right as single round to head should smoke an ork but hey got to give something up for a game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The worst thing about Space Marine by far was the incomprehensibly terrible ending. The Ultramarines are one of the most powerful institutions in the entire Imperium, they are significantly more than just another space marine chapter. So while it's vaguely believable that a misguided young newbie like Leandros might make the mistake of running to get an Inquisitor because of his suspicions of his captain, when that inquisitor made that threat about 'you will come with me or I will condemn your entire chapter' the captain should have just laughed right and his face and said something to the effect of 'only brothers can judge me'.

Just horrible.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade's founder program detailed

Within the next few months you will be able to buy a Founder's Pack for Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade. Buying a Founder's Pack will give you full access to the full game at launch, and all four races. You'll also get to select unique rewards from the following categories:
? Identity ? Enhance your character's core identity with unique Founders-only squad emblems, Heroes, and background-related titles, biographies, and cosmetics
? Weapon Skins ? Unique cosmetics for each race
? Armor Skins ? Unique cosmetics for each race
? Space Ship Decorations ? Unique cosmetics to dress up your Squad or Strike Force Cruiser's interior the way you want
? Miscellaneous ? Unique execution animations and pets, both utility and non-combat
? Vehicles ? Unique Founders-only vehicles
? Consumables ? Extra ammunition, grenades, and other convenience items
? Accessories ? Unique equipment pieces

Raes

Vyemm Raider
"full access to the full game at launch"

Wow, what a perk.

If they are so desperate they have to beg for money why don't they just use Kickstarter? Hmm, since development has already started, I guess they'd need "Jumpstarter" instead?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
www.eternalcrusade.com_sl said:
Unique cosmetics aren't your only benefit, either! As a Founder you will be a part of the Spearhead on Arkhona, gaining access to playable modules of Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade far in advance of the game's launch date. With unique cosmetics, executions, and heroes, everyone in the crusade will know you were the first to win glory on Arkhona!
Some form of early access though.