Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was looking for prices. Apparently you can only get it from the Owlcast site atm. It's not for sale on Epic or Steam.
Guessing they found a way to save on the cut that Steam/GOG/CCP takes by selling alpha/beta keys directly and then upgrading them to the full version at release. They said the price will go up once preorders end, probably $10 for at least the core and premium packs if it's like Pathfinder.

Their Paypal processing is broken though, which so far has made it impossible for me to get a preorder to go through.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

be advised. Their previous games were all among the, massive patches fixing, and finishing off major content, 6m-2 years after release games.
They are STILL squashing major bugs in Wrath of the Righteous. I love that game, but go look back at the thread, and some of the complaints at launch. This is a serious problem for something like WoTR. with a 200-300hr campaign, ARE you going to play it twice? once with the buggy launch, then again a year later with it fixed and a ton of content is added? Waiting for it to get fixes makes a hell of alot more sense. I don't know how big rogue trader is going to be..

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
be advised. Their previous games were all among the, massive patches fixing, and finishing off major content, 6m-2 years after release games.
They are STILL squashing major bugs in Wrath of the Righteous. I love that game, but go look back at the thread, and some of the complaints at launch. This is a serious problem for something like WoTR. with a 200-300hr campaign, ARE you going to play it twice? once with the buggy launch, then again a year later with it fixed and a ton of content is added? Waiting for it to get fixes makes a hell of alot more sense. I don't know how big rogue trader is going to be..
I played both Pathfinders at launch and had no issues that I can remember.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I played both Pathfinders at launch and had no issues that I can remember.
I played both at launch and while there were certainly a bunch of bugs I ran into, none of them were game breaking, where I couldn't continue (or at least I was able to fix the issue with save editing, or something). Most of them were X ability/talent/mechanic didn't work right. So some classes were just shit out of luck on release and others were OP due to bugs. The bugs also got more numerous the deeper into the game/higher level you got.

The good news is that the second Pathfinder game had far fewer of these issues than the first. Regardless, like almost every game, the best single play through experience is probably a year after release, but I can't wait that long unless it's an Early Access game.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I love Owlcat in that they helped revive the CRPG industry after it had been "dead" for probably around a decade or so, but Wrath of the Righteous really made me realize how fucking verbose they are. I also realized I don't think I've ever finished one of their games. I always get around 80 hours in before I just can't be bothered anymore.

I normally don't enjoy Larian's stories, but they did a fantastic job of keeping BG3 feeling "epic", while also not feeling like I was reading the fucking Bible. I enjoy a good story, but I don't need 38 branching dialogue options filled with exposition, nerd lore, etc.

The only thing keeping me interested in this is that they finally added co-op. These games are so much more fun and harken back to the BG1-2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter NIghts, etc. days when they have multiplayer functionality.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
how fucking verbose they are
From the couple official Pathfinder modules I remember playing through, Paizo has the exact same tendency. We used to joke that there was a very identifiable "frustrated English major" feeling to the writing. Would be kinda funny if it's Owlcat writers explicitly trying to emulate the Paizo writing style.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I picked it up a while ago because I got a 50% off coupon for having warhammer+ and forgot all about the game till recently

Burns

If anyone, that has very little knowledge of WH40K, wants some background on the game world, Mort did a Cliff Notes for beginners video:

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Christ, I'm not sure it's possible for payment processing to be more fucked up than what've they've got on the Owlcat site.

Paypal says it's successful but doesn't actually process the charge. Tried different browsers, adblock on and off, etc. and it just won't go through.

Finally give in and try to buy it with a VISA and even though it's processed by Stripe the card is declined and they tell me to use a debit card instead. Only retards use debit cards for online transactions, so yeah, that's not happening.

Sludig

Christ, I'm not sure it's possible for payment processing to be more fucked up than what've they've got on the Owlcat site.

Paypal says it's successful but doesn't actually process the charge. Tried different browsers, adblock on and off, etc. and it just won't go through.

Finally give in and try to buy it with a VISA and even though it's processed by Stripe the card is declined and they tell me to use a debit card instead. Only retards use debit cards for online transactions, so yeah, that's not happening.
Funny since they had those issues >6 months ago too. Absolute shit show of a company and I regret preordering it right now, will fire it up next winter hoping there's a finished product.

• 1Worf

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

I had no problems doing it like 30 minutes ago with a credit card.

Sludig

I forgot how I did it, think on mobile it was easy or something like that.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shit talking about dirty fucking Cypriots aside, that review was fairly promising. Generally positive but not afraid to point out what he didn't like.

Kinda weird that he specifically called out the difficulty slope when that's so common in vidya games these days and from what little I've actually gotten through of Kingmaker seems to be there too (and I assume its similar in WotR).

• 1Like

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
I forgot how I did it, think on mobile it was easy or something like that.

Weirdly, I think I fixed it by using a different brower when I pre-ordered it.

Chrome wasn't working, so just logged into another browser and it had no problems