Warhammer 40k

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The 9th Ed Necron codex kind of suggests the silent king may have engineered them, but then has that compete against TSK needing the galaxy to have humanoid meatsuits available for when they figure out how to reverse Biotransferrence.

So I assume they're just going with shotgunning out "maybes" they can pick from later and pretend it was the plan all along

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Holy shit the new GW store is the worst fucking web store ever devised. How did they fuck this up so badly?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
OK I'm planning which Space Marines to get and trying to make sense of all the variations in the codex.

Are a bunch of these units not just tactical marines with different weapons?

Like is there any difference buying 5 Infernus Marines compared to 10 Tactical and finding some flamethrower bitz to put on them?

I feel like I can make savings with some light conversion.

I'm worried I'm missing some detail like Tactical Marines are not Primaris models, or have different armour?

Same thing with Intercessors and Jump Pack Intercessors. Can I not just stick on some Jump Pack bitz to the regular version.

Would appreciate some insight!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK I'm planning which Space Marines to get and trying to make sense of all the variations in the codex.

Like is there any difference buying 5 Infernus Marines compared to 10 Tactical and finding some flamethrower bitz to put on them?

I'm worried I'm missing some detail like Tactical Marines are not Primaris models, or have different armour?

Same thing with Intercessors and Jump Pack Intercessors. Can I not just stick on some Jump Pack bitz to the regular version.

So basically mk X armor comes in several versions. Tacticus (regular), Phobos (scout), Gravis (heavy). Generally all troops come with a base of one of these. Many of them have little variations (like the inceptors which have modified Gravis). However, as long as you stick with the appropriate basic armor type I don't think anyone would care. So if you stick flamethrowers or jet packs on intercessors, you're fine. If you stick Gravis weapons on Phobos bodies, people might gripe because they are completely different sizes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The actual Tactical Marines box has firstborn marine bodies, so they are noticeably smaller and wearing different armor from the Primaris Marines launched recently. If you're in casual play, anybody who would shit on you for kitbashing (THOSE GREAVES AREN'T LORE ACCURATE REEEEEEEEEEEE) is an autismo you probably don't want to play with anyway.

In tournaments, you'll generally want to use the actual primaris models bodies due to the size difference (and in Gravis case, the difference in defensive stats meaning using a lighter body could be taken as misrepresentation), but I've seen plenty of kit-bashed weapons at events (Desolators most recently). Slapping jump packs on existing Intercessors should be fine.

GW has said some of the vehicles that have been recently rotated out of legality can be used as proxies for the primaris/current versions of the chassis, but that's a TO-by-TO call, since sizes can be significantly different. Much easier to hide multiple firstborn little flyers behind buildings.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm

If your worried about cost, this is the wrong hobby

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
I think there's some percentage of actual model they want you to have in for reals tournaments. but by-and-large marines are so popular because you can just kind of assemble them how you want. paint them the chapter you like and rock out.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So basically mk X armor comes in several versions. Tacticus (regular), Phobos (scout), Gravis (heavy). Generally all troops come with a base of one of these. Many of them have little variations (like the inceptors which have modified Gravis). However, as long as you stick with the appropriate basic armor type I don't think anyone would care. So if you stick flamethrowers or jet packs on intercessors, you're fine. If you stick Gravis weapons on Phobos bodies, people might gripe because they are completely different sizes.
Brilliant, this is just what I needed. I knew some of this (Phobos) and saw the keywords but didn't get what they meant.

The actual Tactical Marines box has firstborn marine bodies, so they are noticeably smaller and wearing different armor from the Primaris Marines launched recently. If you're in casual play, anybody who would shit on you for kitbashing (THOSE GREAVES AREN'T LORE ACCURATE REEEEEEEEEEEE) is an autismo you probably don't want to play with anyway.

In tournaments, you'll generally want to use the actual primaris models bodies due to the size difference (and in Gravis case, the difference in defensive stats meaning using a lighter body could be taken as misrepresentation), but I've seen plenty of kit-bashed weapons at events (Desolators most recently). Slapping jump packs on existing Intercessors should be fine.

GW has said some of the vehicles that have been recently rotated out of legality can be used as proxies for the primaris/current versions of the chassis, but that's a TO-by-TO call, since sizes can be significantly different. Much easier to hide multiple firstborn little flyers behind buildings.
So I guess that Tactical Marines are an outdated set now right?

I saw that Vanguard Veterans and Supressors don't have these amour keywords either, are they firstborn too?

Just want to keep an eye on which sets are due for an upgrade and avoid them.

If your worried about cost, this is the wrong hobby
I'm not going to pay extra for no reason.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Brilliant, this is just what I needed. I knew some of this (Phobos) and saw the keywords but didn't get what they meant.

So I guess that Tactical Marines are an outdated set now right?

I saw that Vanguard Veterans and Supressors don't have these amour keywords either, are they firstborn too?

Just want to keep an eye on which sets are due for an upgrade and avoid them.

I'm not going to pay extra for no reason.
So they are no longer calling them firstborn. New Terminators and Sternguard vets are new sculpts despite a classic aesthetic. Basically play with whatever you want, but if you are looking to not buy stuff that will be replaced by new hotness, it's going to be MOST of the old marine mk7 range e.g. tacticals, devastators, van vets, etc. Some stuff like sanguinary guard is "good enough" so probably won't get replaced soon, while others like the space wolves need a massive refresh but probably won't get one.

• 1Like

Sludig

As much as I love Warhammer/40k stuff...

Ya, maybe not quite as well defined because those are a different material, but I can get a pretty crazy pro painted kinda diorama for less than that shipped from some eastern euro/ Russian painters

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The true Warhammer nerd approach would be to buy this and green stuff, files, and repainting it into a Chaos Space Marine

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
OK in my final stages of planning my Space Marines Chapter, need someone to call me a faggot if my idea is stupid. There's a TLDR at the end if you don't want my thought process.

First idea was each squad being from a different chapter so I could have White Scars Bikes and Blood Angles Jump Packs and not have to choose a specific chapter. Apparently a competitive no to do this and a cohesive look would be better anyway.

Second idea was a chapter that took inspiration from The Emperor's original legions, with each company being based on a first founding chapter and having their shoulderpad/colour but otherwise silver colour scheme. I realised it's too convoluted and I'd have to explain it every time I play.

Third idea was to just do Ultramarines and then I could use the characters which sounds better for competitive. That's too simple though, I like to do something a little extra.

So TLDR my fourth idea is to have a Deathwatch style chapter, but it's inverted colours (white/gold/chapter shoulderpad) and Gulliman's personal honour guard drawn from all chapters. That way I can say "it's like Deathwatch" to explain it and also get to use Gulliman and maybe other characters.

The concept exists in 30k (Invictarius) and in 40k (Vitrix) but just for Ultramarines, so I'm just making a slight iteration on it. Thinking of calling them the Invictarius Guard.

I don't want to make a Mary Sue Chapter so is this gay?

Daidraco

OK in my final stages of planning my Space Marines Chapter, need someone to call me a faggot if my idea is stupid. There's a TLDR at the end if you don't want my thought process.

First idea was each squad being from a different chapter so I could have White Scars Bikes and Blood Angles Jump Packs and not have to choose a specific chapter. Apparently a competitive no to do this and a cohesive look would be better anyway.

Second idea was a chapter that took inspiration from The Emperor's original legions, with each company being based on a first founding chapter and having their shoulderpad/colour but otherwise silver colour scheme. I realised it's too convoluted and I'd have to explain it every time I play.

Third idea was to just do Ultramarines and then I could use the characters which sounds better for competitive. That's too simple though, I like to do something a little extra.

So TLDR my fourth idea is to have a Deathwatch style chapter, but it's inverted colours (white/gold/chapter shoulderpad) and Gulliman's personal honour guard drawn from all chapters. That way I can say "it's like Deathwatch" to explain it and also get to use Gulliman and maybe other characters.

The concept exists in 30k (Invictarius) and in 40k (Vitrix) but just for Ultramarines, so I'm just making a slight iteration on it. Thinking of calling them the Invictarius Guard.

Faggot.

Not about your Warhammer idea.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

You can do whatever you want. With the marines being split into chapters from the legions, you can make up whatever chapter history, background, and color scheme you want to your marines.

These are known as homebrew chapters. No one is gonna care about your homebrew chapter's history or background, but they may find your paint job & scheme interesting.

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Weird and won’t be allowed in a competitive sanctioned event, but if you aren’t doing that then just make stuff that will be fun and make you happy.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

No one gives a shit about your army story but you. If it looks cool, looks cohesive and is a legal list you can paint them whatever you want and the worst thing that will happen is no one else will think they look cool.

If you're looking for random people to take an interest in your fanfic and follow you on Instagram you'll need to grow tits.