Warhammer 40k

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Been messing with Age of Sigmar (first real dip into WH). Just been painting though. How does one get into that or 40k during a pandemic tho. The LGS are all for order pick up only. I wanna try to learn either of the two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Been messing with Age of Sigmar (first real dip into WH). Just been painting though. How does one get into that or 40k during a pandemic tho. The LGS are all for order pick up only. I wanna try to learn either of the two.

Outside of building an army in battlescribe and painting there really isn't an easy way to play right now. I have basically been playing with my family only and have done a lot of work on clearing out my backlog of unassembled and or unpainted minis. My youngest loves throwing dice so when I get her away from Dice Throne and yahtzee we've been playing games of Kill Team and Necromunda. She keeps getting pissed off at me renaming her battle sisters roster Space Karens and I think I am having more fun with that than anything.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure about AoS but 40k has a good TTS mod and the discord runs leagues constantly with hundreds of people.

For 3rd party terrain, try Etsy. A lot of the laser cutting places also make decent terrain but some of those guys are sketchy.

• 1Like

Vhars

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have a recommendation for some cheap 3rd party terrain? Mainly looking for kill team set ups at the moment but once the world is back to normal will hopefully start doing some full table set ups.
Idk about cheap but I've bought some stuff from 4GroundPublishing before and it turned out really nice.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's a Russian company called tehnolog that makes a lot of cheap 28mm fantasy terrain, maybe they make some 40k type stuff too. Or maybe you can convert it.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I was looking at these but have not gotten anything yet: Products

They have a new kickstarter also:
Those are really tempting, especially since it is just put together and go. Will sleep on it but will probably end up ordering their Industrial Starter for some quick easy cover to add to the table. They announced a new kill team bundle today that looks like it will allow a good chunk of the Indomitus box set to work with it. Was hoping for a new annual, and one that would let you make a Custodes/Sister of Silence squad, but if the price is right this could be nice.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Hateyou Hateyou

I'm finding old pics so I don't have to take a bunch of new ones in 2021 LOL

'Have a ton of old rhinos but you want some Vindicators? No problem; I got you fam'

IMG_1146.JPGIMG_1147.JPGIMG_1148.JPGIMG_1149.JPGIMG_1150.JPG

Bonus shit for hilarity:

The 'barrel' is an old chapstick tube
the black 'box' that was the base? old square 40k Epic bases (LOL)
I'm pretty sure that some of the plasticard side-armor was cut-up MMO subscription cards too

FML, I need to get back on the bandwagon

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hateyou Hateyou

I'm finding old pics so I don't have to take a bunch of new ones in 2021 LOL

'Have a ton of old rhinos but you want some Vindicators? No problem; I got you fam'

View attachment 333451View attachment 333452View attachment 333453View attachment 333454View attachment 333455

Bonus shit for hilarity:

The 'barrel' is an old chapstick tube
the black 'box' that was the base? old square 40k Epic bases (LOL)
I'm pretty sure that some of the plasticard side-armor was cut-up MMO subscription cards too

FML, I need to get back on the bandwagon

• 1Worf

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Are there any videos that explain how to play WH40k for a straight up newbie? These dudes on Youtube spend 15 minutes talking about history and shit and then go "Alright so you're new to WH40k. Step 1. You want to pick an army. This army fucking dissolves aboriginals at an alarming rate but their shortfalls are that their flux generation methods are -3." Bitch what? That's like throwing MTG cards at an UNO player and saying "Okay all my UNO cards are now flying first strike. "

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Are there any videos that explain how to play WH40k for a straight up newbie? These dudes on Youtube spend 15 minutes talking about history and shit and then go "Alright so you're new to WH40k. Step 1. You want to pick an army. This army fucking dissolves aboriginals at an alarming rate but their shortfalls are that their flux generation methods are -3." Bitch what? That's like throwing MTG cards at an UNO player and saying "Okay all my UNO cards are now flying first strike. "

This one isn't bad for how to play but doesn't go into building your army. Skip to about 3 minutes if you don't want the preamble.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As much as i love it, i still aim to be a space marine when i grow up ager all, i still encourage most people to stay away from tabletop. Cost has only gotten more absurd. Models are better but also on a spree of really stupid imperium models.

For most i day but a few models for painting and shelf candy and just go enjoy a few of the good video games.

Nothing like spending $2500 on an army of particular and then realizing what kinds of thing in any other hobby you can get for the money. Especially if you realize you don't have an active player base locally.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tabletop gaming is definitely expensive. It is a lifestyle hobby. Starting point is like 500 dollars. After that the sky is the limit.

At least for 40k there is a group near everyone in the world. Many other systems don't have that.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The tail costs also drop off significantly as long as you pick a hipster faction so that you don't get spammed with new stuff like Space Marines.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a recommendation for some cheap 3rd party terrain? Mainly looking for kill team set ups at the moment but once the world is back to normal will hopefully start doing some full table set ups.

If you want something to do your own painting on, I found this company a few years back and it seemed like a better deal than the official GW stuff, even if more lightly built.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
That stuff looks awesome and great value. Thank goodness for the Rooskies making this hobby semi-affordable.