Warhammer 40k

Chris

Potato del Grande
Finally

But I do have a feeling they're going to cut some dumb stuff and leave in random shit that has no point other than a large inventory in warehouse. Because GW.

Admittedly they could do a lot more pruning and condensing if they tried. Like "chaplain" but have a few armor options as stat lines.
I was reading the online list and the amount of duplicates like "Chaplain with Jetpack/Terminator Armour/Bike" seemed a bit much.

Also all the "Land Raider Weapon Name".

Seems like they want rid of wargear/upgrade coats for simplicity so just balance the options and have a flat points value for the lot.

Anyway I'm on my way to buy the 10th Edution Rulebook, looking really likely that I'll be painting some models once the Space Marine Codex drops.

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never played Warhammer 40k or Warhammer Age of Sigmar. Was looking to get into a tabletop game and theres a Warhammer store not too far from me. Which is easier to get into and where would I even start? Seems like theres so many units etc, I have no idea where to begin.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never played Warhammer 40k or Warhammer Age of Sigmar. Was looking to get into a tabletop game and theres a Warhammer store not too far from me. Which is easier to get into and where would I even start? Seems like theres so many units etc, I have no idea where to begin.
Umm…I honestly wouldn’t know where to begin explaining things and I’ve been in it since the mid 90s

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
40k seems to have a larger player base, so if you've not got a group of friends that you'll be regularly playing with, it'll probably give you more options at the store.

Weshammer on Youtube is pretty good for lore, and if you want a quick dump, his video: is a good starting point

Army wise, unless you plan to play in competitions or against people who you have to super focus on the meta, your first army should be one you like the look of/think is cool. Meta armies change every time the wind blows anyway....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Start the one that you like the look and feel of the most. AoS is easier to get into because it's a more streamlined product range and rules. It is just not as popular as 40k, so if you want to be a hardcore gamer instead of casually interested in hobby, lore and gaming equally, then consider sticking to 40k.

There is a somewhat steep learning curve to hobbying by modern Gen z tiktok attention span standards, but there's so many resources available that it's more just a question of persistence.

If you have an actual GW store near you, they can definitely talk to you about the hobby, but I highly recommend finding another shop at a minimum that offers hobby tools and paint. Also, independent stores can have more game space and events going on, but even a store with no miniatures stuff (arts crafts model kits etc.) still can be a good deal on all the basics.

Happy to answer more specific questions, but I think a stop to GW try a demo game and pick up a starter kit and a few paints are a good way to just get some stick time and figure out if you really like it.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are you happy spending many hundreds of dollars?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
OK I've landed on a custom chapter idea and would appreciate some feedback to help make it work.

Not really looking to be told that I'm a faggot and it's a terrible idea, just ideas to make the theme work if you think it's legit terrible.

Some background first:

I like the idea of having Salamander units with Meltas/Flamethrowers or stealthy Raven Guards with Sniper Rifles or Iron Hands with a giant tank... like the on theme stuff from each chapter.

I also really like modding my models and the chapter upgrade packs and 30k bitz seem great for that.

But apparently having models from different chapters is a competitive no and would make it confusing if I was playing against other Space Marines. So it's gotta be cohesive...

So I've thought up the "Argent Brotherhood".

This chapter are basically Primarch fanboys and see some sort of divine plan in the Emperor's sons' legions developing their respective specialties, with them working together being the intended way to deploy the legions for the final battle vs Chaos/Xenos.

Rather than number their companies 1-10, each one follows the tactics of one of the loyal 9 legions. Like rather than "Company 10" having the scouts, they have "Raven Company", or instead of "Company 3" having the regular codex units, they have "Scar Company" that's all bikes.

They would have a silver colour scheme (like a mirror reflecting the legions) but the one shoulderpad that usually has the company/role symbol/colours would instead be the symbol of the legion they are modelling and some of the colours. Like "Ultra Company" would have an Ultramarines shoulderpad with a blue U and blue rim but the background of the U would probably be silver so it's not too much. The command company would have the Imperial Aquila and have gold (for the Emperor) as their splash colour, making it up to 10 companies.

The backstory could be that someone on Terra thinks that it's inevitable they will be sieged again and wants to gather data on how different chapter styles mesh for the final defence of humanity. The chapter have historians studying the sucessors of each legion and actively seek out other chapters to learn from, which pisses off the more secretive chapters and the first founding chapters really don't like their iconography being used without earning it in their own initiations - so there's some internal conflict too.

They would be Ultramarine successors so it's all about the organisation and their eg Wolf Company wouldn't be as good at melee as actual Space Wolves with the legit geneseed and not using Space Wolf models or codex rules.

Chapter symbol I'm not as sure of, maybe a 9 and a reversed 9 like qp to represent reflecting the 9 loyal primarchs. Or maybe just AB because of the name and the alphabet representing everything.

Thanks if you read all of that!

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Do you prefer fantasy or sci-fi theme? There are tons of players for both games. Go to that Warhammer store and do a Learn to Paint and Learn to Play session. Buy a Vanguard or Start Collecting box for the faction that looks the coolest to you and start painting (Warhammer stores are super helpful, but tons of videos on Youtube etc. for painting techniques these days. You can start playing before you finish painting and generally there are lots of players willing to teach newbies how to play. Let us know what you pick!

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Might be a shot in the dark here, but I need help getting a gift for the husband. He read the Anarchy’s End short story and wants me to paint the tank from it. I know there’s a couple of different models of space marine tanks, I think, but I’m not sure which one I should get to most accurately reflect the story tank. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK I've landed on a custom chapter idea and would appreciate some feedback to help make it work.

Not really looking to be told that I'm a faggot and it's a terrible idea, just ideas to make the theme work if you think it's legit terrible.

Some background first:

I like the idea of having Salamander units with Meltas/Flamethrowers or stealthy Raven Guards with Sniper Rifles or Iron Hands with a giant tank... like the on theme stuff from each chapter.

I also really like modding my models and the chapter upgrade packs and 30k bitz seem great for that.

But apparently having models from different chapters is a competitive no and would make it confusing if I was playing against other Space Marines. So it's gotta be cohesive...

So I've thought up the "Argent Brotherhood".

This chapter are basically Primarch fanboys and see some sort of divine plan in the Emperor's sons' legions developing their respective specialties, with them working together being the intended way to deploy the legions for the final battle vs Chaos/Xenos.

Rather than number their companies 1-10, each one follows the tactics of one of the loyal 9 legions. Like rather than "Company 10" having the scouts, they have "Raven Company", or instead of "Company 3" having the regular codex units, they have "Scar Company" that's all bikes.

They would have a silver colour scheme (like a mirror reflecting the legions) but the one shoulderpad that usually has the company/role symbol/colours would instead be the symbol of the legion they are modelling and some of the colours. Like "Ultra Company" would have an Ultramarines shoulderpad with a blue U and blue rim but the background of the U would probably be silver so it's not too much. The command company would have the Imperial Aquila and have gold (for the Emperor) as their splash colour, making it up to 10 companies.

The backstory could be that someone on Terra thinks that it's inevitable they will be sieged again and wants to gather data on how different chapter styles mesh for the final defence of humanity. The chapter have historians studying the sucessors of each legion and actively seek out other chapters to learn from, which pisses off the more secretive chapters and the first founding chapters really don't like their iconography being used without earning it in their own initiations - so there's some internal conflict too.

They would be Ultramarine successors so it's all about the organisation and their eg Wolf Company wouldn't be as good at melee as actual Space Wolves with the legit geneseed and not using Space Wolf models or codex rules.

Chapter symbol I'm not as sure of, maybe a 9 and a reversed 9 like qp to represent reflecting the 9 loyal primarchs. Or maybe just AB because of the name and the alphabet representing everything.

Thanks if you read all of that!

call-out-shout-out.gif

It's 10th so just find a paint scheme and play them as whatever detachment you want at any time. They can just be a chapter and do whatever just buy more kits.

Money no object, bits from GK, and the new cities of sigmar range, and maybe misc SoB. Make them an inquisitorial chapter.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Might be a shot in the dark here, but I need help getting a gift for the husband. He read the Anarchy’s End short story and wants me to paint the tank from it. I know there’s a couple of different models of space marine tanks, I think, but I’m not sure which one I should get to most accurately reflect the story tank. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
That's a Baneblade from the cover. You can find them cheaper at other web stores but this is the kit below. It's not a space marine tank but imperial guard. Maybe there's other tanks in the book?

Actually if you want to troll your husband this is from the 10mm game out of print (about 1 inch long)

Last edited:
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That's a Baneblade from the cover. You can find them cheaper at other web stores but this is the kit below. It's not a space marine tank but imperial guard. Maybe there's other tanks in the book?

Actually if you want to troll your husband this is from the 10mm game out of print (about 1 inch long)

Oh, I'm sure I flubbed the faction. Thank you for the link! Hopefully I don't botch putting it all together.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Oh, I'm sure I flubbed the faction. Thank you for the link! Hopefully I don't botch putting it all together.
How much experience do you have with scale models? It's an older kit so it is somewhat finicky.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
How much experience do you have with scale models? It's an older kit so it is somewhat finicky.

Haven't built any GW kits before, but I've got plenty of experience with Zoids, which are 1:72. They're more snap-fit, though, and no gluing needed generally, so not quite the same.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Haven't built any GW kits before, but I've got plenty of experience with Zoids, which are 1:72. They're more snap-fit, though, and no gluing needed generally, so not quite the same.
Yea get a bag of misc rubber bands and dry fit sections...

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

You might also consider one of the smaller scale skirmish games like Kill Team (40k) or Warcry (AOS) if there are people in your area that play. Not quite the commitment of getting in as one of the big army games.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Kill Team is a great and low entry point into table-topping. Depending on the team you select, the model count can be as low as 4 (Talons of the Emperor - a Compendium Team, Custodes) to 23 models (Chaos Cultists - a Bespoke Team - only a maximum of 15 will be on the board).

In Kill Team there are two types of team, bespoke teams and compendium teams. Compendium teams are simply designed to entice 40k players to play kill team and you can use your models, and also get the feel for the game at a basic level.

Bespoke teams are kill teams that are designed and have a lot of rules, abilities, and other tricks the allow them to shine above compendium teams. Bespoke teams are pretty advanced in how they play, but there are a couple that are kinda easy to play, such as Intercession Space Marines.

Most, if not all models, regardless if they are bespoke or compendium cross into full on 40k table top.

One thing that I do love about Kill Team over Big 40k, is that KT is more engaged that 40k. At the basic level, each player activates a single model at a time for their turn. Depending on the type of KT you are playing, the model will have either 2 or 3 activations. Once that model is done, it is the other players turn to do an activation, and the game goes back and forth for the round, or turning point as its called, until it is done, then reset the activations for the next turning point, roll off to see who gets the initative, then repeat.

Games are a lot shorter too. Once you get into the swing of things, games can take around an hour and a half to get done.

Just food for thought.