Warhammer Online RIP

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Leveling all the way to max (40??) was fun. Once that happened, yeah it was time to start a new level 1 of a different class and redo. the PvE dungeons also, no one seemed to do. Crafting seemed like a total waste of time.

So yeah it was not really a MMO, just a pvp battle ground game.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tradeskills were super important and I cleared every one of the dungeons each week. I dont know what game you guys played but it sounds like a totally different one then I did.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Tradeskills were super important and I cleared every one of the dungeons each week. I dont know what game you guys played but it sounds like a totally different one then I did.

Their problem was they played it like every other MMO. Just rush and gear up later. But they never learned how to play. So they talk about zerging keeps lol.

But they’re also right. The game had no fucking content to keep you from rushing straight to 20 and if you ran dungeons you should know that too. Half of them didn’t even work.

Great game. Introduced a lot of new concepts but came on the crash of the MMO wave. It’s not like the failure of MMOs has anything to do with quality but the inability to understand market demand. They made a great game no one knew how to play other than queuing and doing what you were told. WoW trained them well. And they didn’t communicate or flesh the game out quickly enough. It’s eventual fate speaks for itself.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

Super important for what? Both were ignored by the 99 percent of the players who had no issue getting to max level quickly with just hub quests and battlegrounds.

And if a game allows you to easily skip things, the game is designed wrong.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In what game are trade skills important for leveling up? Trade skills were important for mana and health pots. Mana and health pots were important for pve and PvP content.

What fucking world is an mmo valuable for anything except max level? Are you guys on the current dev team for Wow because that sounds like some shit Ion would say.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Even though it was kind of a piece of shit Warhammer was rough in the right places for me to still look back on my time playing with fondness. It was full of cracks to poke around in and some of those cracks were big enough that you could shove in a pry bar and really muck things up. Leveling in battlegrounds was pretty good but anyone in your little preassigned group that wasn't doing as much as you was a leech. Why group with them at all then? A friend and I would form our own two-person group of Sorc/Shaman and run up the score. Even in a match we lost our exp/renown were pretty good. Playing the Shaman solo was huge renown as all the healing I did was mine and mine alone. Combined with what meager AE damage I had it was pretty good. I was towards the top of the leaderboards most of the time.

By then everyone had figured out how bananas AE was in Warhammer. I started hunting around to see if there were any classes that could do what I was trying to do but better. I settled on the Archmage. The Archmage was the Shaman mirror but what really set them apart was Golden Gaze. Golden Gaze was a trait that turned one of their short duration dots, Radiant Gaze, into an AE dot. From the start of the match to the end, every nine seconds, I was hosing down the entire enemy team with this fucking thing. It also reduced damage and chance to crit by some percent. Throw in some miscellaneous healing/buffing and a little extra AE from Radiant Lance and I getting results like these -

Arch.jpg

Most damage, most renown, most exp in a match that was a blowout loss and done with a support class. I didn't even bother leveling the character to 40 either. Every tier Witch Elves got harder and harder to deal with until I was dying before getting to use two abilities. I had a pocket Engineer that turned out even more absurd than the Archmage. I played mine to max level and then started leveling a friend's Engineer I liked the class so much. Their constant rain of low risk long range AE combined with close quarters CC was top notch. Unlike the BWs and Sorcs they were self contained enough to be ran solo for big numbers.

Aside from cheesing battlegrounds the other thing I got a lot of mileage out of was crossing into enemy territory and exploiting encounters that were never created/balanced with that in mind. It was tricky to get to the enemy side of the map without being deathtouched by an enemy guard but once you pulled it off the entire game fell apart. If you were Order all of the Chaos NPCs on the Chaos side were fair game and vice versa. You could attack enemy siege equipment for loot and exp and it would never fight back. There were quest mobs that stood around at one hit point that could be murdered for full value. Numerous scripted quests had NPCs that did nothing when attacked. I eventually got a well earned vacation for AFK leveling but I was out of characters I wanted to try by the time I got caught.

The big AE nerf patch changed the Archmage enough to keep me from ever resubbing to finish leveling the character but what got me to quit in the first place was how the Realm vs Realm stuff worked. With T4 the graveyards were really fucking far away from the keeps so if you died and didn't get a rez it was this long ass fucking run back over and over. Once you broke through the keep's defenses the only thing that mattered with regards to contribution was damage dealt to the boss and healing done to the guy tanking the boss. You could set up siege equipment, kill defenders, heal allies, rez/buff, break down doors, and if you didn't get to punch the boss before he exploded you got nothing. You could have been there for an hour doing shit and not even get a roll. My computer was a turnip so the end game city raid stuff was out. The game was over.

I had a good time though.

edit - Tradeskills were really good. They let you double/triple dip. Queue for a BG, advance a public quest with plant monsters for bonus exp and drops while in the queue, turn their drops into AE grenade potions, butcher them for fertilizer/gore, mail the gore to a friend that did horticulture, get back stabilizer, use that on big health pots, etc. That same friend actually quit the game over the tradeskill patch that went through. He liked the horticulture stuff a great deal and had a system that made a ton of sense in hindsight. While playing he'd just have every plot of soil going with whatever seeds he found, use no dirt, use no fertilizer, and then wait for the crap seeds to have a critical. When there was a critical it would sometimes give you rare seeds. Those rare seeds he would then pamper with all of the best dirt/water/gore to give them the best chance possible for max rewards. He had a bank full of top tier seeds and mailed out all kinds of cool tradeskill shit.

Then the tradeskill simplification patch turned all his seeds into Chaos Black dye. He quit and never came back. He may have been the only person that actual liked the garden mini-game and it was a deal-breaker for him when it got changed.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I played a magus and liked the variety of abilities they had, everything from clouds of acid, to black holes, to lazer beams that turned enemies into demons (that attacked their friends), to summoning some screwed up looking chaos dragon.

BUT, everything they did was such low damage. Alaways getting eclipsed by the wizards. This game was hilarious though, the punting people into lava or the white lion that could (send his lion??) to drag you into his zerg. Lots of unique abilities in that game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Having a really hard time understanding what he's saying. tl:dr?

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I skipped through it, you can barely make out what people are saying. I guess there's some douchebag that is in a power position on the server named Torq? A mongoloid who went crazy with power on a private server... and in other news water is wet.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I skipped through it, you can barely make out what people are saying. I guess there's some douchebag that is in a power position on the server named Torq? A mongoloid who went crazy with power on a private server... and in other news water is wet.

Basically this.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I learned how to talk in GM yellow in /shout. People on both sides were exploiting some territory bug where it was captured over and over again. I scared the hell out of people by yelling in yellow text 'I'm not a GM, but if I was you'd all be banned :p' I was the only one banned that day for impersonating a GM. Despite saying I wasn't a GM lol. I did a chargeback on my card for that one.

Before that, I switched sides, and leveled up my evil alt solely by tapping my max level archmage once, then having him die to fall damage. Full exp/renown, no zonewide death message, no diminishing returns. I think people suspected something when a level 20 something had the #1 renown statue in the evil city, and noone saw him in any battlegrounds.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

MaseK

Molten Core Raider
Bumping thread

- Drama from a few posts up has abated
- Fortresses, new gear sets (vanquisher/invader), and more PVE dungeons recently introduced
- Server hit 1500 unique players Euro prime time last weekend (1175 online now). 400-600 NA time so could use some bros
- 2x rr/inf/exp event going on now through Saturday
- PVP from level 1. Open world PVP is still about as good as it gets for a MMO
- Secrets is a Dev

Return of Reckoning - Index

Hit me up if you start new and i'll help you get settled.

Mase/Alosrin

• 1Like

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
"Every tier Witch Elves got harder and harder to deal with until I was dying before getting to use two abilities. "

When my main (level capped Archmage) was dying to invisible people before I could get ONE ABILITY OFF it was the worst part of the game. Ever since this one I flat out refuse to play any PvP MMOs with an invisible class. They always fuck it up.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Witch elf was retardedly broken for a while.

They had some on your knees ability that would bug you out from using any abilities until you died.

Source: #1 sword master on server (between jobs like a boss I tell you) running around for minutes straight juking and using heal pots 1v1 against them.

That said - check out that Warhammer Emulator. Barely any broken retarded shit, well done box. Needs to focus on the rest of classic content like forts/cities/LoD before going back to the custom stuff imo.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
While every class had comical absurdity, nothing topped the 20-30 (I think?) pvp battleground that was the volcano and playing a rune priest. Knocking people into lava & 1 dot that also snared and you couldn't be killed.

Think that was the first reroll I did just to abuse the hell out of that mechanic. Good times

• 1Worf

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
Source: #1 sword master on server (between jobs like a boss I tell you) running around for minutes straight juking and using heal pots 1v1 against them.

Was Swordmaster the one with the lion pet that could yank people to you from like 500 meters out pre-nerf? That shit was hilarious, especially in zerg vs zerg face offs.