Watches

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Just wondering what the general consensus on Fossil watches is. My girlfriend for whatever reason decided that I'd like a watch for Christmas (I haven't worn a watch in a decade), and bought me a Fossil. I don't recall the exact model number. It's one of the ones that is powered by movement. The first one was running fast by about 15-20 seconds a day (usingThe official US time (NIST & USNO)as a baseline), so she took it back and exchanged it for another of the same model. It's only been a day, but it looks like this one is running at least 10 seconds fast per day as well.

So needless to say, it would appear that these watches are giant pieces of shit, unless I just got really unlucky with two defective ones in a row. I don't know much about watches, so I'm not sure how accurate they should be, but you would think that even mediocre quality watches would be able to keep time to within a few seconds a day. I seem to have bad luck with girlfriends buying me watches. The last one I owned was also a Christmas present back in the day, a Tissot that looked decent enough and claimed to be water resistant, but couldn't even take a soggy day of spring skiing (no direct immersion in water, just extremely moist conditions inside my ski jacket). Condensation formed on the inside of the glass, and a day or two later it started to run ridiculously fast and then it died. Sent it off for warranty repairs, it came back, worked fine for a few months, then inexplicably stopped working entirely. Might have just been a dead battery or something, but at that point I was like "fuck this thing" and just threw it in a drawer.

I think I'm going to have to strategically lose this Fossil piece of shit at some point in the near future. My dad and bro both have Tag Carrera's, which look fucking amazing. Might pick something similar up and hide the price tag from her. After getting used to wearing one again, I don't mind having one. But not if I'm going to have to re-set the fucking thing every third day so that it's even slightly accurate.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have her return it and hope she realizes that Fossil's are a piece of shit after returning the same watch twice? Otherwise dump her.

I never thought Fossil was anything special, they seemed pretty baseline and what every teen clothing store stocks.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Have her return it and hope she realizes that Fossil's are a piece of shit after returning the same watch twice? Otherwise dump her.
heh, I feel bad for her, because she's on a very tight budget and despite me repeatedly telling her to not get me anything for Christmas she really wanted to get me something, so I'm kind of left trying to be happy about this mediocre watch that doesn't keep time worth a shit so as not to offend her. I can't turn around be like "shit bitch, next time get me a Tag or nothing". She's a broke student and I'm cool with that.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Automatic watches, no matter how expensive, aren't as precise as even the cheapest of quartz watch, that's just part of the deal. With that said, not all movements are equal. 15-20sec a day is indeed pretty bad and 10sec a day is actually pretty average. A good automatic can push the precision to 5sec a day or so and a chronometer can it down to 2-3sec with some luck. Automatic movements aren't for people who want precise time. Any quartz movements, be it battery, kinetic or solar powered, blows them away in precision.

Anyway, classical girl-dude problem: she just wants you to wear some bling she bought for you and you look at said bling and only see a poorly designed piece of engineering.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to wear an Oris automatic, but it got to be a pain in the ass to set the thing every time I forgot to wear it for a day or two. After dinging up the bezel on that one, I gave up and bought a cheap solar atomic watch from Casio.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I got one of these

miansai_043a.jpg

it's fucking slick

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Automatic watches, no matter how expensive, aren't as precise as even the cheapest of quartz watch, that's just part of the deal. With that said, not all movements are equal. 15-20sec a day is indeed pretty bad and 10sec a day is actually pretty average. A good automatic can push the precision to 5sec a day or so and a chronometer can it down to 2-3sec with some luck. Automatic movements aren't for people who want precise time. Any quartz movements, be it battery, kinetic or solar powered, blows them away in precision.

Anyway, classical girl-dude problem: she just wants you to wear some bling she bought for you and you look at said bling and only see a poorly designed piece of engineering.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I had just assumed that all watches were accurate to within a second or two a day these days, or at least should be. Guess not.

McQueen_sl said:
I used to wear an Oris automatic, but it got to be a pain in the ass to set the thing every time I forgot to wear it for a day or two. After dinging up the bezel on that one, I gave up and bought a cheap solar atomic watch from Casio.
Yeah, her mom bought me some stupid thing that when I don't wear the watch I can put it in, and it spins it around to keep the time. Which seems incredibly fucking pointless, considering you have to adjust the time once a week anyways if you want it to be even half assed accurate. I'm impossible to buy for, and don't want anything, so next time, don't buy me anything!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I think I'd care more about how a watch looks than how accurate it is. Clocks on electronic devices are so ubiquitous nowadays that there really is no functional need for a watch.

At least she didn't buy him a bracelet. This happened to me.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think I'd care more about how a watch looks than how accurate it is. Clocks on electronic devices are so ubiquitous nowadays that there really is no functional need for a watch.
Yeah I use my phone to figure out what time it is. I have a movado that doesn't have any time indicators besides a dot at 12. I'd never know what fucking time it is anyway using that thing. It's self wound and I only wear it on special occasions so it actually isn't even functional. I'm way too lazy to wind it the 10 times a year I wear it.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
^
wtf is a 30 buck ticket and how can I get myself one so I can get one of those drool worthy Tudors?

Seanwin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol went to a gala and they had raffle tickets for 30$ I had 40 left so 2 beers and a ticket. My best bud bought 600 in tickets, along with the couple thousand other they sold. I won, 10 minutes before draw I was tanked and ready to go my wife forced me to stay for the draw.

Strangely most people think it's just a junk watch and that my seiko is way more $$. Ignorants

Edit. Some of the guys at work are all about Fossil watches, I think it's just for looks though. I bought the wife one a few years ago and it was in the trash within 6 months. They do have some real nice lookers tho

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That band is hideous dude, guess I'd wear that if I was an Italian clubbing in the 90's.
Yeah doesnt look great on pictures. I think they shine too much light on it. But i have received compliments on the band more than anything else.

Seanwin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just wondering what the general consensus on Fossil watches is. My girlfriend for whatever reason decided that I'd like a watch for Christmas (I haven't worn a watch in a decade), and bought me a Fossil. I don't recall the exact model number. It's one of the ones that is powered by movement. The first one was running fast by about 15-20 seconds a day (usingThe official US time (NIST & USNO)as a baseline), so she took it back and exchanged it for another of the same model. It's only been a day, but it looks like this one is running at least 10 seconds fast per day as well.

So needless to say, it would appear that these watches are giant pieces of shit, unless I just got really unlucky with two defective ones in a row. I don't know much about watches, so I'm not sure how accurate they should be, but you would think that even mediocre quality watches would be able to keep time to within a few seconds a day. I seem to have bad luck with girlfriends buying me watches. The last one I owned was also a Christmas present back in the day, a Tissot that looked decent enough and claimed to be water resistant, but couldn't even take a soggy day of spring skiing (no direct immersion in water, just extremely moist conditions inside my ski jacket). Condensation formed on the inside of the glass, and a day or two later it started to run ridiculously fast and then it died. Sent it off for warranty repairs, it came back, worked fine for a few months, then inexplicably stopped working entirely. Might have just been a dead battery or something, but at that point I was like "fuck this thing" and just threw it in a drawer.

I think I'm going to have to strategically lose this Fossil piece of shit at some point in the near future. My dad and bro both have Tag Carrera's, which look fucking amazing. Might pick something similar up and hide the price tag from her. After getting used to wearing one again, I don't mind having one. But not if I'm going to have to re-set the fucking thing every third day so that it's even slightly accurate.
Get a TAG if u have e dough, Fossil isn't even on the same level. But if your buying self winding, unless u get used to sleeping with it (alba it never comes off) it's part of the deal. My seiko is "self winding" in that it has some little battery that gets charged when u wear it. Convenient as hell, but once that burns out, basically throw 500 bucks in the trash. Where a decent watch is good forever with maintenance ever 5-7 years. When I went to get the papers for the Tudor they told me when you want a new one, just trade this in, it will be worth MORE than it now!

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I've own a Tag Aquaracer for a few years now and the thing is built like a tank. I wear it for general use nowadays and have been looking to get an Omega soon

Eomer, you mentioned that your bro and dad wears Tag Carrera and I agree its a awesome watch but if you want something similar and not the same then an Omega is a solid recommendation. Since you are the sportier type, I would advise the Seamaster over the Speedmaster even though they both are very robust (astronauts wear the Speedmaster to the fucking moon so yeah, pretty solid)

Seamaster

23113445206001-20.png

Speedmaster

38705031-20.png

edit: Fossil are what you call a 'fashion watch', same as DKNY, Armani etc. It's not for people who knows their watches.