Watchmen

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Watched the 2nd episode and that will be the last.

I’m no watchmen fanboi— I read the graphic novel years ago, and I enjoyed the movie when it came out, but I fail to see what the fuck this has to do with either, or even super heroes in general, since there are none.

It’s basically, at least so far, just a cop drama set in Tulsa where the cops mortal enemies are a bunch of organized white nationalists that specifically target cops. As a result the cops have to mask themselves, and a few take it a step further and fancy themselves dress up heroes. You even have apologia terminals where black people can submit DNA for “Redfordations”— money as payback for some Tulsa lunching that happened years ago.
Boring and stupid.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
First ten minutes is the ?KKK? airplane bombing a bunch of black people?? (I thought I had the wrong movie on at first, is this the Harriet Tubman movie?) And then black man gets shot. Then they have the Rorshach KKK that mentions liberal tears, so that ignorant people will associate that phrase with white supremacists, who kill cops, at least so far black ones. This is really bad so far.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched the 2nd episode and that will be the last.

I’m no watchmen fanboi— I read the graphic novel years ago, and I enjoyed the movie when it came out, but I fail to see what the fuck this has to do with either, or even super heroes in general, since there are none.

It’s basically, at least so far, just a cop drama set in Tulsa where the cops mortal enemies are a bunch of organized white nationalists that specifically target cops. As a result the cops have to mask themselves, and a few take it a step further and fancy themselves dress up heroes. You even have apologia terminals where black people can submit DNA for “Redfordations”— money as payback for some Tulsa lunching that happened years ago.
Boring and stupid.
A masked vigilante investigating the death of a colleague uncovers a vast conspiracy set with a backdrop of a society poised on the precipice of self destruction isn’t related to the watchmen? We’re in beat for beat remake territory. We even have American hero story filling the role of the black freighter.

Dr Manhattan is the only actual super hero in the original . Everyone else is just playing dress up.

• 3Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
A masked vigilante investigating the death of a colleague uncovers a vast conspiracy set with a backdrop of a society poised on the precipice of self destruction isn’t related to the watchmen? We’re in beat for beat remake territory. We even have American hero story filling the role of the black freighter.

Dr Manhattan is the only actual super hero in the original . Everyone else is just playing dress up.

The Tulsa police force wrangling with a white nationalist group seems like a very hamfisted way to try and dressup a "backdrop of a society on the precipice of self destruction"

What's the "precipice" here, a nationwide race war?

Think maybe the show could have been pulled off in a way that doesn't inject Democrat policy talking points?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Wonder how you guys will flip this SJW narrative when the Kalvary are the good guys.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Wonder how you guys will flip this SJW narrative when the Kalvary are the good guys.

Well the “good guise” in this show literally all live in a trailer park, and get riot triggered by the police pulling down a carnival statue of Nixon. Hopefully “society hanging on the precipice” can withstand the onslaught of the trailer park whiteys.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watched e2. I like it. Will keep watching.

Just gotta turn of brain a lil.

• 3Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah, after watching the second episode I am willing to keep hanging in there with it.

And I enjoy watching Louis Gossett Jr.

giphy.gif

• 3Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, love me some Pappy.

I enjoyed this 3rd episode quite a bit.

Official podcast launched for the show:

I enjoy Charlie's breakdowns for those who want things you missed spoon-fed to you:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Veidt is the best part of this show. Not that what he's doing is sensical in any way.

Much like the rest of it!

Xevy

Log Wizard
He's trying to escape his prison (of his own design?) And he's not allowed to use electricity. I'm thinking Manhattan helped create it (the mimicry castle on Mars).

Sterling

El Presidente
Veidt is the best part of this show. Not that what he's doing is sensical in any way.

Much like the rest of it!
Jeremy Irons is definitely the best part of the show.

Also when the Agent kept referring to the thing as a Racist detector and dude got defensive about it was great.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Another interesting bit in the episode: The Russians are trying to create the same device that created Dr. Manhatten.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Another interesting bit in the episode: The Russians are trying to create the same device that created Dr. Manhatten.

The experiment was not replicable. This was covered in the original comic that tons of people tried to do exactly what he did. They all just died. It never explained it further because it didn't have to.

Cybsled

Which makes sense, but doesn’t mean someone couldn’t succeed eventually. Creating another Dr Manhattan was always the next arms race.

• 1Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So we got Silk Spectre travelling around with a large blue dildo, references to Nite Owl being in prison and Veidt actually being in a prison.

Yet the show is all about racism and nothing to do with the Watchmen? Uhhhuh....

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I kinda wonder how lost people who aren't familiar with the source material at all might feel.