Watchmen

khorum

Murder Apologist
They made a minor mention about the government telling everyone about "inter-dimensional attacks" all being a rumor or something so I assumed that was their explanation for the squid-rain, as some sort of breach in dimensions that leaked them through.

That question during an interrogation was a reference to the fact that Rorschach's journal got published in some conspiracy-theory tabloid AFTER he was killed by Dr. Manhattan....so his story that revealed Veidt's fake squid aliens got out and the folks who supported Rorschach must've been circulating it for years afterwards:

crankpile-watchmen-ending-986x1024.jpg

Thing is there's nothing about Rorschach's principles in the comic that align with the White Nationalists they portray his followers to be in the show. If anything, that particular fact about the squids is true. So their whole portrayal as Turner Diaries-spewing Klansmen (complete with the "K"avalry name) is just bullshit woke shit that dimishes that story.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rorschach believed everything was black and white, no shades of grey. Rorschach also broke tons of laws to dispense his form of justice. His journal was published in basically Info Wars. It's not a stretch that a bunch of right wing people read his philosophy of "I know what's right and wrong and can do whatever I want to the wrong people" would be twisted.

• 4Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They took that basic vein and rolled with Rorschach's "legacy" being corrupted by white supremacists I guess... but then the guy who speaks for the Rorschach people at the end is a black dude so I dunno where they're going with that.

He's got his finger on the pulse of society; double think allows black people to be white supremacists, jews to be nazis. War is peace, freedom is slavery. Double think is a critical element of cults. But imagine if Lindelof was actually making a meta commentary on how woke culture is used to silence people today? It would be crazy if he made white supremacists' the actual 'good guys' who are not white supremacists at all, but rather just the people who know 'the truth' and so their image was systemically warped through propaganda by the media/government to poison the information they had, and prevent people from listening to 'the truth' by making them APPEAR to be white supremacists.

I mean, it has some elements in there. The government is full on fascist...yet the police are the good guys? He IS pushing the double think angle hard. I'm just not sure if its done intentionally. I'm pretty sure he's just used to double think because he's drunk too much of the Hollywood kool aid and shit like this doesn't bother him anymore.

Whitesuprem.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I liked the pilot but I spent most of the episode trying to decode how it connects to Watchmen in a meaningful way.

I'll be watching ep2 fur sure

• 1WTF

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
We need a "woke" thread stickied up top in TV/Movie forums. That way people can learn what their opinion should be more easily.

Fadaar

That guy
I liked the pilot but I spent most of the episode trying to decode how it connects to Watchmen in a meaningful way.

Even the directly/indirectly mentioned tie in's don't do much to make you feel like you're in the same universe as Watchmen, other than the rorschach masks and Night Owl's flying thingy whose name I forget. This could just as easily be an alternate history United States with any history branching to set it up, which Watchmen already was I guess, but having its name attached to this just seems for show rather than content.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I think I've come around on Lindelof in that he's at least willing to swing for the fences. At least for TV shows. Lost crashed and burned but was good for quite a while. The Leftovers was pretty cool but forgot that TV had to be exciting. I'm willing to give him a chance here as at worst it's just an interesting premise that doesn't come off.

My only real concern is that this seems to be another show within a show (Ozymandias) and how is he going to tie it together?

• 1Salty

Siliconemelons

Rorschach believed everything was black and white, no shades of grey. Rorschach also broke tons of laws to dispense his form of justice. His journal was published in basically Info Wars. It's not a stretch that a bunch of right wing people read his philosophy of "I know what's right and wrong and can do whatever I want to the wrong people" would be twisted.

You mean like it's okay to "punch a Nazi" yup- right wing rules

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
HBO has supplemental material up on its site, haven't read through it all but it kinda adds extra flavor to each episode

one interesting thing i saw on twitter someone noted about episode 1, mighta been obvious to others

We only see a brief shot of Manhattan (on a TV) destroying a sand castle on Mars and recreating it. Someone took snapshots and it matches EXACTLY the castle Ozymandias is living in.

Siliconemelons

Wait, the right wing does not think it is OK to punch Nazi's?

Go to the politics thread and learn about the 1st amendment - and the "punch a Nazi" comes from a guy on the street randomly punching in the face someone because he was speaking and the attacker said he was a Nazi.

So... if we are at war? Yeah... but you can not agree with someone - and not hit them.

khorum

Murder Apologist

Basically, it's a sequel to the comics.

Almost 40 years after Veidt's squid hoax the Keene Act has morphed into masked heroes being absorbed into the law enforcement institution, Robert Redford succeeded as President after Nixon's five terms, Vietnam is the 51st State, Ozymandias is hiding out somewhere and instead of genetically engineered cats hes created people, Dr. Manhattan is making sand cathedrals on Mars and Rorschach's journal was published and formed the basis of a info-wars type conspiracy fandom.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
episode 2 definitely veers hard into Tyler Perry Presents Madea's Oppressed Black People Histories, and i really still don't know what the fuck is going on. Losing interest fast, but the preview at least looks interesting

also the first bit of nudity in the show, an HBO show, and its fucking blue dong. FUCK U DAMON LINDEBALLSACK

• 3Worf
  • 1Like