Watchmen

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well time to pass on this show, I was some what interested in this, an expanded universe like Star Wars EU, the continuing theme of vigilantism, the threat of nuclear war coming back, society once again breaking down.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Wow. Does this ever look BAD...

I think there is a film school in New York that has an assignment to make a trailer of a film cross-genre (google "The Shining Trailer Comedy" if you want to see what I am talking about an get a good laugh).

But, back to the point-- how hard is it to make a decent trailer? Even for a bad film? Can't be that challenging, right? You have to have one incredible, festering turd of source material not to be able to pull it off. Imagine that you have hours and hours of completed scenes and you're still not able to cut a decent trailer! Wow. This must suck some serious donkey dick.

And yet, "Swamp Thing" got canceled...

WTF

Jasker

Brown officer title, just like Kaige
So this thread is just a circlejerk of hate about a show no one has seen

• 2Picard
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So this thread is just a circlejerk of hate about a show no one has seen

it's almost like previews and definitive statements from the producer/writer matter, weird

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"Executive Producer, writer, and showrunner for HBO’s upcoming Watchmen series Damon Lindelof declared the series is about “white supremacy.”
Lindelof appeared at the Television Critics Association (TCA) Watchmen panel on Wednesday to discuss and promote the show. As reported by Deadline, Lindelof questioned, “What in 2019 is the equivalent of the nuclear standoff between the Americans and the Russians?” He answered his own question, “It is race and the police.”
Lindelof would then add, “There is no defeating white supremacy — it’s not going away. There are no easy answers and grandiose solution.” Lindelof would even add that the alt-history of the Watchmen series will begin to blend with our actual history."

Yeah, can't imagine why anyone would have an opinion already...

Not like I have HBO anyway, so nothing to miss. Just wish they wouldn't shit on this IP - it's my favorite "novel" by a country mile. The movie was so-so at best.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
"Executive Producer, writer, and showrunner for HBO’s upcoming Watchmen series Damon Lindelof declared the series is about “white supremacy.”
Lindelof appeared at the Television Critics Association (TCA) Watchmen panel on Wednesday to discuss and promote the show. As reported by Deadline, Lindelof questioned, “What in 2019 is the equivalent of the nuclear standoff between the Americans and the Russians?” He answered his own question, “It is race and the police.”
Lindelof would then add, “There is no defeating white supremacy — it’s not going away. There are no easy answers and grandiose solution.” Lindelof would even add that the alt-history of the Watchmen series will begin to blend with our actual history."

Yeah, can't imagine why anyone would have an opinion already...

Not like I have HBO anyway, so nothing to miss. Just wish they wouldn't shit on this IP - it's my favorite "novel" by a country mile. The movie was so-so at best.

jasker is pants on head retarded if he can't figure out why people already have strong opinions, but we already knew that

• 1Picard

Jasker

Brown officer title, just like Kaige
jasker is pants on head retarded if he can't figure out why people already have strong opinions, but we already knew that

Well hbo used to be the savior network where we could count on quality entertainment. It just seems like tv is so weak these days.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
DC launched a comic series "Before Watchmen" with a bunch of prequel stories a few years ago. It wasn't well received or now isn't even memorable aside from maybe this -

Image result for it's time to shit

Last year DC started what I guess I can call a sequel to Watchmen titled "Doomsday Clock." It's been plagued with delays and it also hasn't been all that well received but it isn't boring. It also looks to be building up to Superman punching Doctor Manhattan which should be fun. It is supposed to function as a kind of reconstruction or conclusion to the grimdark period spawned by Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns and the entire decade of the 90s. The idea is that Watchmen even today exerts a massive gravitational force on comics so formally close the page on it and move forward.

The contract Alan Moore signed in regards to Watchmen would return to him the rights to the property once it left print after some fixed amount of time. It has never and likely will never leave print meaning that Moore was effectively robbed of his IP. He was a grown man and he signed a contract so that's on him but he's never going to be smiles and sunshine regarding adaptations of Watchmen. It would be best to just pretend he doesn't exist. Tweeting about what a curmudgeon Alan Moore is makes you look like you don't know fuck about shit.

The trailer for this looks to be about a tough black female vigilante battling a white supremacist group that has taken up Rorschach as their symbol with some conspiracies about and probably a police force that becomes indistinguishable from those they are fighting against. I worry about Rorschach being propped up by the creators as a white supremacist icon (as though that ever had anything to do with the character) in front a backdrop of everyone being super super woke all the time. I cannot get behind any media that wants to build up how large, powerful and numerous white supremacists are and push the idea that the United States is fundamentally racist.

TLDR Watchmen is not a property that has had much in the way of successful spin-offs and this looks like identity politics is at the wheel which is really fucking tired.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looks like the standard Netflix BS. Why is HBO making this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the main protagonist is a Black woman? Of course, it is.

I really enjoyed the movie, but I know nothing about the source material. Is the character at least rooted in the lore?

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This is a complete riff on the original. Its essentially Watchment the Next Generation .

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Any chance this can actually be good? Lindelof's comments were beyond fucking retarded.

• 1Like