Wayward Pines

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
They made it pretty clear in the last episode. The teacher tells the kids that the monsters are humans after 2500 years of genetic drift or some shit (lol but whatever).

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
thats what I meant, if thats the case everyone is borderline retarded along with the creator

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Reading the first book while watching this season / mini series . Pretty good so far, about 70% through. Real easy read and kind of fills in some details that the show obviously doesn't have time to go in to.

Devlin

Golden Squire
It's a bit of a stretch to say the least given that time frame but it's still an enjoyable show and I'm interested to see whether or not it's a bullshit story.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had some of this explained to me by my wife who has read the books. I'm not sure they'll go into it any further in detail than what they did last episode but I'll spoiler it anyway.

Basically this scientist guy (the one with glasses who rescues Ethan with the chopper) foresaw the world was going to hell in a handbasket due to pollution/wars/etc. So he created this technology that could put people in suspended animation. Once all that was set up, he and some others (like Nurse Pam) selected a large number of people to be part of this new civilization/town. They then all go into this long sleep and the world goes to hell. They wake up in 4000 whatever and then begin to selectively wake people up to populate Wayward Pines. That explains the time differences with some people. Some have actually been in Wayward Pines for 12 years.

The part that I have a hard time reconciling is when the wife was actually driving to Wayward Pines and Po cut her oil lines causing her to crash. Apparently that either never happened or it happened but it happened after they woke her up. She also said the stuff they are showing about the kid in school (orientation, 1st generation) wasn't really covered in the books.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I guess but
Are their memories implants or is there some kind of shared consciousness when in status sleep?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I guess but
Are their memories implants or is there some kind of shared consciousness when in status sleep?
I think in the case of Ethan's wife, it's a memory implant of some sort. For example, I don't think she actually went to the FBI office and looked up his contact info on the computer when the lady walked away. Same thing with Ethan, they put in his mind that he was looking for his partner. When he calls the 'FBI office', it's just an elaborate setup (explains the 'there is no 12th floor' line when he's talking to the receptionist)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The part that I have a hard time reconciling is when the wife was actually driving to Wayward Pines and Po cut her oil lines causing her to crash. Apparently that either never happened or it happened but it happened after they woke her up. She also said the stuff they are showing about the kid in school (orientation, 1st generation) wasn't really covered in the books.
Looks like this was resolved with the last episode.

Also not sure what the memory implant theory was meant to explain. It being a memory implant and the sheriff cutting her lines without her knowing aren't really compatible. Unless I'm misunderstanding something

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm through the 1st two books, so guess I'll spoiler this. I don't -think- it spoils anything not shown yet, but shows some differences between the book and fills in some details.

In the book they go in length about the integration process. And how this is currently Ethan's 3rd integration attempt. Kate's third (if I remember right), etc... Also in the book Ethan's wife and kid never went on that trip and had their oil line cut. Pilcher went to their house the night she had her final 'going away' for Ethan and offered her the choice of going to Wayward Pines to rejoin Ethan or never seeing him again. She declined, more or less, and Pilcher ended up kidnapping her.

Then she woke up 5-7 years prior to Ethan waking up. Pilcher wanted her assimilated prior to Ethan waking up to make his integration easier. In the book the kid is only 5 when Ethan disappears and is then 12 once he wakes up in Pines. So those little changes they incorporated in the show kind of throw off a couple of things. Based on what we've seen in the show so far a long with what we know from the book, I'd say that her and Ben driving to Pines to find Ethan actually happened, Pope actually cut their lines, and they got put in cryo stasis. He basically explains in the book how all the non-volunteers visited Pines and were met with some accident which put them in stasis.

The last episode covered a lot of this but not in so much detail (and not as well). The Pilcher flashbacks in the book were better. The relationship with Pam and her origins is different. The Pope stuff I think was more flushed out in the show.

Their memories aren'timplantsnecessarily, but they definitely talk about some memory manipulation. Like in the book Ethan was a POW and tortured extensively in Iraq. Pilcher talks about how they purposefully activated those memories so that Pope could use them against him.

I need to start book 3 before the show ends. Amazon has this for rent on Prime for Kindle btw, so you don't even have to buy it. Just check it out for two weeks or whatever. The books are a super easy and quick read and not half bad.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The part that I have a hard time reconciling is when the wife was actually driving to Wayward Pines and Po cut her oil lines causing her to crash. Apparently that either never happened or it happened but it happened after they woke her up.
Wait, what? No, there was no memory implant. Po cutting the oil lines happened in the past - in 2014 or whenever. Mom and son were then put in deep freeze and woken up two thousand years later.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Caught up on the last few episodes over the weekend.

Boy, didn't see that one coming. I figured they were just trying to brainwash children and the parallel stories unfolding outside the wall and in the classroom were creepy. It is surprising how quickly the bad guys become good guys and vice versa.

I definitely like the pace of this show. I have not read the books so I am not sure if the pace comes at a price of story, but it is moving at a clip that makes the show really interesting. Last week's episode was the only one I would say was slow by this shows standards, but still got more accomplished than The Walking Dead.

I also hope they try and explain how an explosive device designed to make a hole in the super wall allows a couple of teenagers to still be alive when they were less than 10ft from the thing.

At the rate this show twists and turns I fully expect another layer at some point. Wayward Pines > Killer Wilderness and Monsters > 4th Party monitoring controlled experiment. Seems like something they would do.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
At this point it has diverged so completely from the books I have no idea. Just not 100% sure it'll end up anywhere near the same place or tell the same story at this point. Show is good, for what it is, but reading the books has detracted from some of my enjoyment.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wait, what? No, there was no memory implant. Po cutting the oil lines happened in the past - in 2014 or whenever. Mom and son were then put in deep freeze and woken up two thousand years later.
Yea I'm understanding it better now. What was confusing to me at first was Po being in the same 'time' as the wife before she even got to Wayward Pines. But I guess Po was one of the original people Piltcher recruited to get people to deep sleep.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Yea I'm understanding it better now. What was confusing to me at first was Po being in the same 'time' as the wife before she even got to Wayward Pines. But I guess Po was one of the original people Piltcher recruited to get people to deep sleep.
My understanding is that Po and all of the volunteers were in the deep sleep as well and woke up at a certain year. My guess on the wife's accident was that her's was forced after the husband go into an accident. He got put into the freezer and they rigged her to have an accident so she could go in too. Probably for a way to keep him sane in the future.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm really loving this show, but I have a hard time buying the excuse given for not simply telling people what's really going on (future time, destroyed society, monster, etc.). I'm sure some people would freak out, but I just can't see the vast majority of them panicking and rioting like what apparently happened with group A. Would there be a lot of shock and adjustment for people? Sure. Would some of them think it's better to end their lives? Sure. But give them the option to do that, or let them leave the wall if they don't believe you, and I'm sure you'd be left with a good number of people who want to start rebuilding society.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is kind of hard to argue with his reasoning given how it was explained. I mean if that was the idea going in and Group A turned out the way it did it kind of makes sense that you have an extremely finite supply of humans and given the need to reproduce and restart civilization you wouldn't want to risk losing another 50% or whatever the exact number was. To me it seems about half about that and half about Pilcher's own reasons.