Wayward Pines

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
My thought was just have Hogwarts for Wayward Pines where they take all the magic first generation kids and keep them separate. "Yep, your parents are dead from that crash sorry, you are in foster care, enjoy the end of the world".

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It is kind of hard to argue with his reasoning given how it was explained. I mean if that was the idea going in and Group A turned out the way it did it kind of makes sense that you have an extremely finite supply of humans and given the need to reproduce and restart civilization you wouldn't want to risk losing another 50% or whatever the exact number was. To me it seems about half about that and half about Pilcher's own reasons.
That's a good point. I meant that I didn't think it would have happened that way with the group A. It seems like a really contrived reason to make everything super weird and secret.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I meant that I didn't think it would have happened that way with the group A. It seems like a really contrived reason to make everything super weird and secret.
Nobody thought it would happen, which is why it was able to happen in the first place.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Hypnotoad-teacher must be the cause of everything; smirking at a ceiling camera after Mrs. Burke tells her off. Whoever was watching must be the real traitor that sabotaged surveillance.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Interesting ending but I hope they don't drag that out.

guess the loss of his father hit him hard ...

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It departed from the book so drastically it was fun not actually knowing what was going to happen or how they would end it. Maybe the wife and I completely missed it but last we saw before the kid woke up Pam and Kate seemed pretty much on board with giving it an honest go. Then he wakes up in town years later and time is a flat circle.

So presumably the 1st gen that hid in the school bounded together and overthrew the mountain gang and recreated Pilcher's paradise? It is what it is I guess, but am not sure I like that.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Show was fun for thursday. I was fine killing off Matt even thou he held the show, then time jump the way they did? Wont watch next season

Go kill everyone but atleast leave a character thats interesting.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I thought this was supposed to be a one shot? No second season. Considering that, it fell flat.

Given the name of the episode, "Cycle", I suspected that there have been many, many Wayward Pines over the generations. And so far, each one destroyed itself in the end. I thought that would've been both poetic and depressing. I guess we sorta got that, but a lamer version.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't think there is supposed to be anymore. I also find it retarded those punk kids were able to take over.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I love this show. Even with the kinda lame ending it was really good and sucks that its over. I never read the books but now I think I might even though the ending is different. Never really understood why they take a book and make a movie/tv show and completely change the ending.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I love this show. Even with the kinda lame ending it was really good and sucks that its over. I never read the books but now I think I might even though the ending is different. Never really understood why they take a book and make a movie/tv show and completely change the ending.
There are about a million things different in the books than just the ending. By the time book 3 starts there is very little resembling what actually occurred in the TV show.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Even if there is no more source material, I'd love to see a 2nd season. In order to keep a lot of the same cast they could include flashbacks to show how the 1st generation kids managed to gain control of the town again.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Even if there is no more source material, I'd love to see a 2nd season. In order to keep a lot of the same cast they could include flashbacks to show how the 1st generation kids managed to gain control of the town again.
Wouldn't be interested in a second season, honestly. There'd be no mystery and no Ethan, which were the 2 best parts of Wayward Pines

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
After it ended I kind of felt like I had wasted my time for some reason. It's like they ran out of time in the episode to properly resolve what happens after Burke dies. I don't think there will be another season because I'm not really sure where they can go with the story. It'll just be the same thing, group tries to overthrow the people (kids) in charge, etc.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Alright, so what happened in the books?
Umm, well, once upon a time in Wayward Pines...

I'll try to summarize the large differences and maybe not give away whole spoilers, but that's probably hard to do.

- Pilcher is an ever larger egomaniac who literally believes himself to be God for saving the human race. The entire purpose of him doing it was to play house and recreate a civilization where he is worshiped. He has direct conversations with Ethan about him being God and Ethan being Lucifer and being cast out of Heaven, among other quotes and allusions. Pilcher had a wife and daughter (Alyssa) that were supposed to come on the time journey with everyone else, but his wife backed out. So Pilcher had Pope kill her and basically abducted his daughter.

- Pam was a complete sociopath. Pilcher finds her a homeless 13 or so year old girl one night after giving a lecture at a University. Brings her in and raises her. She spends the whole book fantasizing about killing Ethan's family in front of Ethan, terrorizing the town, and just generally being a crazy bitch. Sort of like her character started off in the TV show until they changed her to this whiny sympathetic to the cause emo.

- There was never any rebellion. No bombs. No explosions. Etc... There was an underground group that met together to actually relax, discuss their past lives, offer support to one another in the midst of all the confusion, and partake in a few vices like singing, dancing, drinking and things they couldn't do while under constant surveillance in Pines. That was it and it was all they really wanted.

- Pilcher was extremely paranoid about this group and them defying him, so he sent his daughter Alyssa in to spy on them. Well, then he got super paranoid about his daughter turning against him, so he and Pam murdered her. Like, tied her down to a table in the mortuary and ritually stabbed her repeatedly to death. This surveillance video is eventually recovered by the surveillance tech and Ethan and what he uses to more or less convince the town that Pilcher is an evil SOB. That and along with bringing and Abby in to town square during the fake 'f?te' as they are referred to in the books, not 'reckonings.' And they're like mardi gras with pitchforks and butcher knives. Not the same way they're portrayed in the show.

- Adam Hassler is alive for the whole series. His whole plan was to be frozen with Theresa so he could wake up in the future and be with her. He didn't believe Ethan deserved her and part of the deal he made with Pilcher to keep the Secret Service off their back was that Ethan goes away, he and Theresa get to live happily ever after. Hassler has been out ranging for the last 3 years in the book. Up to Seattle, down to San Fran, all around trying to search for signs of any civilization or anything to help humanity. Book 3 has quite a few of his POVs and he eventually gets back to Pines when all the shit is going down.

- Eventually they overthrow Pilcher, but not until after like 50% of the town or some shit were killed by Abbies and Pilcher's temper tantrum. The 'bigger' secret then comes out that Wayward Pines was never sustainable, or at least that it would no longer be sustainable. They lost all their livestock in the attack, their stores of supplies is running low, and the harsh winters don't allow for reliable farming. Even with the reduced population they only have a few more years. So Ethan and them have to come together and figure out their best way to survive...

Super secret book ending spoiler

so they all climb back in their tanks and go to cryosleep. The last chapter is something like, "Ethan Burke opened his eyes. Wayward Pines 70,000 years later!" So to be honest, the book ending was almost as retarded as the tv show.

Oh, and there really is no kid shit in the book. Like Ben has maybe 5 lines across all three of them. Don't think you ever see anything that actually occurs in the schools, or with crazy teacher lady, or 1st generation cult. You know the kids are being taught the truth and that they're taught David Pilcher is God and Savior, and that is about it.

That's about it without getting in to extreme minutiae and details. Probably forgetting some important distinction at this point.