Weather

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Water stuff has been super bad for quite some time here, and it's literally destroying people's livelihood's. It's getting rough. We have the super mega red tide combined with super algae from the river at the same time. There's been so many dead fish, turtles, dolphins, whale shark, everything. Birds have exited stage left. I live in Cape Coral

Red Tide Is Devastating Florida's Sea Life. Are Humans to Blame?

Florida's Blue-Green Algae Bloom 10 Times Too Toxic to Touch, Testing Shows | The Weather Channel

Current Beach Conditions
Business here is just getting destroyed. It's so slow in my store. I was talking to a guy who owns a rental company today with about 60 units. He said in the past 2 weeks he has had $40k worth of cancels, some of them cancelling for next February (our season start for all the snowbirds)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Happens every few years in the gulf, but this year is abnormally large. Usually in the summer. Florida has it really bad and I know Texas Parks and Wildlife has a page they track the status and give updates every year, same for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

Red tide - Wikipedia

Red tide is a common name for a worldwide phenomenon known as an algal bloom (large concentrations of aquatic microorganisms—protozoans or unicellular algae) when it is caused by species of dinoflagellates and other organisms.

The term red tide is most often used in the United States of America to refer to Karenia brevis blooms in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, also called the Florida red tide. In the past decade, it has been elucidated that K. brevis is only one of many different species of the Genus, Karenia, that is found in the world's oceans.

The last five years outbreaks. Comes and goes and not normally this large or this long lasting.

• 2013: January, a red tide bloom appeared at Sarasota beach – mainly Siesta Key, Florida causing a fish kill that had a negative impact on tourists, and caused respiratory issues for beach-goers.[51]
  • 2014: August, massive 'Florida red tide' 90 miles long and 60 miles wide.[52]
  • 2015: June, 12 persons hospitalized in the Philippine province of Bohol for red tide poisoning.[53]
  • 2015: August, several beaches in the Netherlands between Katwijk and Scheveningen were plagued. Government institutions dissuaded swimmers from entering the water.[54]
  • 2015: September, a red tide bloom occurred in the Gulf of Mexico, affecting Padre Island National Seashore along North Padre Island and South Padre Island in Texas.[55]
  • 2016: September, Texas Parks and Wildlife report red tide in the Lower Laguna Madre. "High to moderate concentrations of red tide have been found from Beach Access 6 to the Brazos Santiago jetties. Moderate cell concentrations have been found at the Isla Blanca Park boat ramp."[56]
  • 2017 and 2018: Red tide algae with warnings not to swim, state of emergency, dead dolphin and manatee, worsened by Caloosahatchee River. Toxic harmful algae bloom red tide in Southwest Florida.[57][58][59]

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it's made worse by the shit coming out of the river here. We're getting slammed by both, and one of them is completely preventable.

It's crazy when you just don't even see birds by the water anymore

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
RIP Hawaii

p7DVie3.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Does the S < H < M wind labels on that mess with anyone else? My brain sees it as Small High Medium and being out of order causes a mental WTF.

For those who didn't notice it and now do. HAHAHA suffer.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

The projected path for the tropical storm looks like they drew the line right thru here. Hope it's not one of the storms that just sits there and rains and rains and rains.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
What app do you guys use for weather? I'm having a hard time finding something that isn't completely riddled with ads, useless information or clickbait. I mainly need to know rain percentages by hour since I ride a motorcycle to work most the time.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
What app do you guys use for weather? I'm having a hard time finding something that isn't completely riddled with ads, useless information or clickbait. I mainly need to know rain percentages by hour since I ride a motorcycle to work most the time.
I use Accuweather, and I paid the like $2 to remove the ads. It's reasonably accurate, and I have a lot of rain samples to work with in south florida. Though mostly I just check the radar. I used WeatherUnderground for a while, but it was wildly inaccurate

• 1Like

Borzak

The panic is on. Jim Cantore showed up in Biloxi.

The odd thing about accuweather is their map doesn't allow you to zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My in-laws have a place in Orange Beach AL but they haven't called and mentioned it yet. My guess is that means no one is really that concerned about it there.

Wife and I are leaving for a short trip to Tahoe today and of course there's a fucking fire. Hoping they get it under control and we don't have to evacuate as soon as we get there.

• 1Like

Borzak

Wound up on the SW/W side. Eye is 45 miles away and moving away and didn't get any rain or wind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Doesn't surprise me. One thing I always have to explain to my job colleagues who live in the South/West is that many schools on the East Coast were built like 50 years and have no central air/air conditioning.

• 1Like

Borzak

Wonderful day. Noon, no rain, no wind, and 77F. Dad went to the library for something today, closed due to possible bad weather lol. Best day we've had since spring at least.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Most of Europe doesn't have great AC so if you had to take a trip over there this summer you noticed the difference real fast. Another 95+ day for the east coast but at least the inch of rain on Friday should bring cooler temps.

• 1Like