Weather

Oldbased

> Than U
I am sick thinking about those places in the Bahamas. It is like total wipe, corpse run, no coffins. I am not ashamed I try to express myself about that catastrophe in ye olde eq terms.
I've seen beheading videos on LL that shook me less than some of the Bahama videos. I really hope when they rebuild it is with capable buildings. Those fortified elevated apartment buildings down in the keys and in some Texas places I've seen hurricanes roll through and doesn't even phase them. Granted it wasn't a 5 parked on them for 2 days but I think they could take it. That one island will be fucked for a long time. Hopefully they get it right.

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I started out as a field adjuster (getting on roofs, going in homes, etc.) but now I'm a desk adjuster. Independent adjusters do not have the authority to approve or deny a claim. So I am the file reviewer and usually when it's early in a CAT claim (catastrophic claim) a lot of new adjusters submit estimates that do not reflect what the correct settlement should be. Dwelling policies for example in North Carolina do not cover damage to fences, whereas a Homeowners policy would. Dwelling policies also do not cover wind driven rain, which the most common denial. You have to have shingles missing or a significant amount of siding missing for this type of loss to apply to your claim.

There really isn't many lulz bullshit claims. At least to me...the ones that are usually hard denials are people who have filed claims for damages for the same things in the past and received a settlement and never did anything with it. Most of these people are very poor, likely on social security as their only source of income and it's sad. The worst part of my job is having to call people and tell them that their claim has been denied for whatever reason.

Recently a friend of mine on FB that has over 100K subscribers for some kind of anime channel bragged about how much coverage his has for his home and how little he has to pay in premiums per year. I advised him that it sounds like he's underinsured and probably has a shitty policy but he insisted that he had the best of the best. He was lucky that Dorian didn't hit Florida, because that probably would've been very bad for him. You can have $750,000 worth of coverage for your home, but what is covered? You better hope you are covered for wind driven rain and have replacement cost endorsements in place. You get what you pay for in insurance just like everything else.

If any of you guys live near the coast and are at risk for hurricane damage I highly advise you to speak with your agent about making sure that your have wind driven rain coverage on your policy. Chances are if you don't and you have a newer roof, those damages to your home through improper flashings on pipe jacks on your roof, poor sealings on your windows, and damage that you might experience blown under your doors will not be covered otherwise. It's very necessary to pay a couple hundred more per year than deal with that when a storm rolls up and causes you thousands of dollars that aren't covered. It sucks man. I hate seeing it at my job, but policy dictates how I have to do my job and in the end I help more people than anything. But please if you guys are in areas that may be at risk for hurricane damage I urge you to speak with your agent to make sure that you are covered for wind driven rain. If you are not, you need to have that conversation asap and pay $40-50 more a month. It is absolutely necessary.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I've seen beheading videos on LL that shook me less than some of the Bahama videos. I really hope when they rebuild it is with capable buildings. Those fortified elevated apartment buildings down in the keys and in some Texas places I've seen hurricanes roll through and doesn't even phase them. Granted it wasn't a 5 parked on them for 2 days but I think they could take it. That one island will be fucked for a long time. Hopefully they get it right.

The money for those buildings to be fortified is essentially grant money for damage mitigation provided by IBHS. I do not believe those funds have ever been allotted to the Bahamas. The Bahamas probably do not have the kind of Storm Readiness funds available nor do they have the funds to address the rebuild to replicate such standards set forth by the IBHS program. It is very unfortunate, but that's the reality.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I started out as a field adjuster (getting on roofs, going in homes, etc.) but now I'm a desk adjuster. Independent adjusters do not have the authority to approve or deny a claim. So I am the file reviewer and usually when it's early in a CAT claim (catastrophic claim) a lot of new adjusters submit estimates that do not reflect what the correct settlement should be. Dwelling policies for example in North Carolina do not cover damage to fences, whereas a Homeowners policy would. Dwelling policies also do not cover wind driven rain, which the most common denial. You have to have shingles missing or a significant amount of siding missing for this type of loss to apply to your claim.

There really isn't many lulz bullshit claims. At least to me...the ones that are usually hard denials are people who have filed claims for damages for the same things in the past and received a settlement and never did anything with it. Most of these people are very poor, likely on social security as their only source of income and it's sad. The worst part of my job is having to call people and tell them that their claim has been denied for whatever reason.

Recently a friend of mine on FB that has over 100K subscribers for some kind of anime channel bragged about how much coverage his has for his home and how little he has to pay in premiums per year. I advised him that it sounds like he's underinsured and probably has a shitty policy but he insisted that he had the best of the best. He was lucky that Dorian didn't hit Florida, because that probably would've been very bad for him. You can have $750,000 worth of coverage for your home, but what is covered? You better hope you are covered for wind driven rain and have replacement cost endorsements in place. You get what you pay for in insurance just like everything else.

If any of you guys live near the coast and are at risk for hurricane damage I highly advise you to speak with your agent about making sure that your have wind driven rain coverage on your policy. Chances are if you don't and you have a newer roof, those damages to your home through improper flashings on pipe jacks on your roof, poor sealings on your windows, and damage that you might experience blown under your doors will not be covered otherwise. It's very necessary to pay a couple hundred more per year than deal with that when a storm rolls up and causes you thousands of dollars that aren't covered. It sucks man. I hate seeing it at my job, but policy dictates how I have to do my job and in the end I help more people than anything. But please if you guys are in areas that may be at risk for hurricane damage I urge you to speak with your agent to make sure that you are covered for wind driven rain. If you are not, you need to have that conversation asap and pay $40-50 more a month. It is absolutely necessary.
would you say a lot of the damage is roof fucked up and water flooding in? and then you have the occasional 2x4 through window?

also getting on roof after a storm sounds sketchy as fuck, do you actually put on a harness and walk the perimeter or just put the ladder up, take a peek and say "yup, shit is fucked"

• 1Like

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
It depends where you are talking about. Flood will likely be a large portion of the losses in NC. Typically we will pay for a slope on a gable roof if 8+ shingles are missing/wind damaged. The bigger box companies (Allstate, Farm Bureau, etc.) will maybe sometimes have different standards. As far as windows, we will only pay for a window if it is actually broken. That doesn't include framing that may be damaged due to wind driven rain. The actual window pane has to be broken for replacement to be considered.

Most of our larger claims for Florence were due to the roof being compromised. There were some instances when the roof stayed in tact but the siding on an entire elevation was completely exposed and we paid for those interior damages. Those are rare though.

As for walking a roof after a storm, most inspections are completed within a week of it being reported. Unless it is raining non-stop from the date of loss til 7 days after, the sheathing should be good to walk on. Usually if it looks dangerous the IA (independent adjuster) will hire a ladder assist company like Hancock to complete the roof inspection for them, as they are typically better equipped to handle more dangerous roof walks. I stopped doing field adjusting after 6 months because I had ankle surgery while in the Military and I was just having problems up there on anything greater than an 8/12 pitch after 5-10 mins.

The industry standard estimating program is called Xactimate and it accounts for labor minimums and additional costs such as steep and high charges once you input the square footage that will be covered for each. If an EagleView is ordered, it's hard to argue the costs as the measurements are almost always to a tee.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
and then you have the occasional 2x4 through window

That isn't something that really happens in hurricanes on the continental US though. They generally start losing intensity as they approach the coast and then hey lose tons more within hours of making landfall. The only way a hurricane is going to be tossing 2x4 chunks around is if it makes landfall while still a Cat 5 and the building codes are shit (Andrew). Even a relatively weak tornado will have as high or higher wind speeds than most hurricanes when they make landfall.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Storm surge laughs at building codes. A house being blown to bits is pretty rare in a hurricane. But the mass storm surge can get pretty bad. In Katrin the storm surge on the MS coast was pretty bad and went inland a fair amount. There were houses and government buildings and such that survived hurricane Camile that just disappeared from the storm surge in Katrina. Post Katrin they had aerial views of just areas of nothing but slabs.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Storm surge laughs at building codes. A house being blown to bits is pretty rare in a hurricane. But the mass storm surge can get pretty bad. In Katrin the storm surge on the MS coast was pretty bad and went inland a fair amount. There were houses and government buildings and such that survived hurricane Camile that just disappeared from the storm surge in Katrina. Post Katrin they had aerial views of just areas of nothing but slabs.

Yeah Katrina was a slow moving Cat 3 at landfall that just rained cats and dogs for days on end. Camille was a very fast moving Cat 5 that couldn't even sink a single decrepit shrimping boat being piloted by a retard and a cripple.

Harvey actually dumped more rain than Katrina but not in quite as vulnerable an area.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
That is why I am talking about elevated apartment buildings made out of reinforced concrete with heavy gauge roofing. The live feed I watched/linked here from Irma I think it was in the Keys was done at one. Although the surge never quite reached it, it would have handled it fairly well due to just massive open spaced pillars. Surge rakes buildings away because it has a surface area that is pushed upon. Allowing a great flow of water under it will greatly reduce forces on the building even if it is partially submerged. When the world isn't coming to a end, it doubles as a parking garage or if located in California, public restrooms.

• 1Like

Borzak

Very few places have building codes that are mandatory to be retrofitted to existing buildings. That's why I mentioned they survived Camile and were wiped out in Katrina. Of course I live in one of the very few, very few places that doesn't have building codes or inspections at all for a residence. Only for commercial buildings. I will say this is one of the best built houses I've looked at in 30+ years. It's very very rare in the south for homes to have studs other than 2x4's. This house is 2x6 and the rest of the house is overbuilt about the same. Rafter ties even tho they were required in code in the larger towns here and in LA till after Andrew in 1992, and house was built in 1980. Only 45 minutes north of New Orleans so it's taken a few storms glancing and such.

Of course the homes wiped out in MS and New Orleans from Katrin were rebuilt to newer building codes. Were my parents lived and just moved from a few years ago they had a pretty large flood that was a freak. There were houses in the historical district on the edge of where they lived that went back to the 1830's and were open for viewing and such. Several got moved from the flash flood several blocks. They just moved them back lol. None of the houses broke up even tho they floated off. Oddest thing. Most of the ones moved were from before WWII. Parents house was built right before the war. It was massively overbuilt. When I took down the inside wall I could still smell the turpentine from the longleaf pine that was used for lathing on the walls. Like a hard 2x4 at a 45 degree angle touching each other on both sides of the wall.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Here's the non-fake news version of the aerial.

Honestly I think it looks worse than it is. See plenty of houses still standing. A lot of negative Nancy's in here.

Been talking with a few friends and we're working on securing some big $ contracts from USAID, several foreign govs, NGO's etc to more or less go hang in the Bahamas, drink beer, camp out and pick up trash. This shit is a money making opportunity.

• 1Like

Borzak

Local news showing the far out forecast of a hurricane entering the gulf at the keys in Florida. We'll see. Waiting to see what the media does now post sharpie gate.

P7HJXO3IA5APNN7LJEQZKGLKDY.jpg

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If Trump nukes it while it's over Florida does that count as a double win

Also, sorry Bahamas.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
If it had been predicted to be a Cat2+ and Trump had told Florida to evac the coast, the media would try and say NOAA never said Florida was in danger and Trump sharpied it in.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Borzak

Houston getting hit by a tropical storm that moved in and didn't move out. Houston and out towards Beaumon lot of rain and flooding. Guy on the news last night was saying bad floodin in Sipris. I didn't know where in the hell that was till they showed the map. Cypress.

Some reports of people on the northeast and east side of Houston getting 24" inches of rain in less than 24 hours.

Last edited:
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like