Weather

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ah, I figured it would've been tards telling her how cruel it is to have 97 dogs in wherever she was and that she should be shoved into a master bedroom with 97 people type stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My man DJT is comedy gold. He needs reelected just for four more years of tweets...

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The amazing thing to me about the aftermath of Dorian over the Bahama's is that so many people did live through it. That was some top tier devastation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The amazing thing to me about the aftermath of Dorian over the Bahama's is that so many people did live through it. That was some top tier devastation.
I spent 50 years in S Fla. Loss of life "should" generally not be great from a storm. Wind, even at 200 mph doesnt kill you. The shit the wind is whipping around at 200 mph is what kills you. Assuming your house doesnt collapse (which most sound structures wont) the walls stop the debris from hitting you.

Most loss of life will be from being in an unsafe structure to begin with, doing something dumb (like going outside), or just being unlucky. Flash flooding can cause life loss which is why you see people up in their attics.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Do not forget trees - if you stay on your inside parts of your home you usually are good as trees crush the outside areas...but if you have particularly tall trees...

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Do not forget trees - if you stay on your inside parts of your home you usually are good as trees crush the outside areas...but if you have particularly tall trees...
Yep. This is where the whole native species thing comes into play. Native trees (palm trees) are built for high winds (palm fronds and deep root balls). People import big canopy, shallow root trees and they become house killers when they get ripped out of the ground.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

And yet when building most city code do not "count" plam trees as "tees" for green requirements.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
We haven't had a hurricane in Nova Scotia since '03. They usually always downgrade by the time they reach us or swing wide.

235351_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Should be fun.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I slept with a girl with thunder thighs, does that count?

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Most of it has passed, and I lucked out being in one of the few places where power didnt go out. Neighbours tree came down though and the top 8 feet or so are in my backyard.

Also this happened in Halifax

• 2Like
I am sick thinking about those places in the Bahamas. It is like total wipe, corpse run, no coffins. I am not ashamed I try to express myself about that catastrophe in ye olde eq terms.

• 1Like

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I'm an insurance adjuster in NC and I expect that we will see around 30,000 claims. Florence brought us 99,000 and we've been working those for the past year. The damage was not as widespread for this storm but there was some historic flooding for the parts of the outer banks and I expect wind damage from Hatteras to Kitty Hawk next week. It has really been slow so far...maybe people are just going to check their damage this weekend or can't get back to their communities yet. We did see several tornados touchdown and cause damage before the Hurricane ever hit in areas where the eye-wall never even came close to.

As there was record heat this summer I think there will be another 2 or 3 storms that will impact the continental US before the end of October and at least one of them will be pretty bad. It has been surprisingly slow so far as far as getting new claims but even after Florence last year most claims didn't get reported in the first 3-5 days. They came about 7-10 days later and we were able to close or at least get an initial settlement to folks within the first two weeks for 80% or so of those 99,000 claims. The supplements have been unreal for Florence though. I don't expect Dorian to last as long.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Takes a while to realize how bad flood damage is, I guess.

They were supposedly getting tornados in smithfield. I used to work in smithfield. This part of NC is so damn strange with the weather banding. You'll have spots (like northwest smithfield) that are thunderstorm prone and then ten to fifteen miles away... nothing. Probably saw that recently with the hailstorms a few months back.

There's something in the topography. Was talking to one guy who said they follow the high voltage power lines. Makes sense, not sure if it's true but it makes sense.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Might be nice if FOH could get together to make a donation to relief efforts. The Bahamas are so totaled, it's amazing the death toll isn't in the thousands. I have friends on Guana Cay, and they all hunkered into a few buildings up to code. The entire island got together to make sure no one was left out. Everyone there survived, but the island if demolished. They're far enough out that they don't expect rebuilding to start for months. In the mean time, lots of house sharing going on. Lots of tents being used. Lots of local work happening to make sure water and toilets are available to everyone.

What a mess.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm an insurance adjuster in NC and I expect that we will see around 30,000 claims. Florence brought us 99,000 and we've been working those for the past year. The damage was not as widespread for this storm but there was some historic flooding for the parts of the outer banks and I expect wind damage from Hatteras to Kitty Hawk next week. It has really been slow so far...maybe people are just going to check their damage this weekend or can't get back to their communities yet. We did see several tornados touchdown and cause damage before the Hurricane ever hit in areas where the eye-wall never even came close to.

As there was record heat this summer I think there will be another 2 or 3 storms that will impact the continental US before the end of October and at least one of them will be pretty bad. It has been surprisingly slow so far as far as getting new claims but even after Florence last year most claims didn't get reported in the first 3-5 days. They came about 7-10 days later and we were able to close or at least get an initial settlement to folks within the first two weeks for 80% or so of those 99,000 claims. The supplements have been unreal for Florence though. I don't expect Dorian to last as long.
do you go out in the field or just number crunch?

what are the lulz bullshit claims?

• 1Like