Weather

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Lot of trucks for a town that size even 100% gone. Lake Charles is 75k. Sulphur and westlake are suburbs but they're smaller than Lake Charles.

Here they had a bunch from TN at the hurricane evacuation center, wal mart parking lot, the mall and everything else to park. It's right off I-55 on the LA/MS border. They left town before official landfall and before it got dark here with about a 5 hour trip ahead of them to get to where the video was made.

Friend that stayed in Lake Charles at the hospital posted some pics of his house. Shingle damage was all mostly. No trees down on the house in a very wooded area. His 2 college aged kids were up top making a temp repair and he was taking videos and pics. You can tell it's Louisiana, no power and town nearly gone. He was cooking gumbo for people.

I saw some pics of Lake Charles, it looks horrible. Supposedly a ridiculous number of utility poles are just snapped in half. I saw Entergy said something about 900+ poles broken, the main wires to substations are down, and the wires from substation to neighborhoods are down, and like over a thousand miles of cable is down too.

I'm naive, and I don't understand electrical systems, but with thousands of trucks down there, why can't they all like claim a pole, put the new pole in, move shit over, and be done in a few days? I know there are trees that have to be moved off wires, etc. CLEARLY I know this isn't possible, but with so much man power, but how do the organize this?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I saw some pics of Lake Charles, it looks horrible. Supposedly a ridiculous number of utility poles are just snapped in half. I saw Entergy said something about 900+ poles broken, the main wires to substations are down, and the wires from substation to neighborhoods are down, and like over a thousand miles of cable is down too.

I'm naive, and I don't understand electrical systems, but with thousands of trucks down there, why can't they all like claim a pole, put the new pole in, move shit over, and be done in a few days? I know there are trees that have to be moved off wires, etc. CLEARLY I know this isn't possible, but with so much man power, but how do the organize this?
The reality is those trucks have to cover a lot more ground than that most likely

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Death toll 14, 1 from drowning, 5 tree fell on them, 8 from crabon monoxide. Apparently a family of Vietmanese shrimpers took shelter with someone and they died from the generator.

Friend that stayed at the hospital through it never lost cell coverage which seems odd.

My grandmother lives about 2.5 hours north there on the Texas side. They had a tornado last year and it blew over their giant semi truck trialer size transformer that fed the whole town. It took them a long time to even get a new one, you don't go down to wally world. My cousin owns a tow service that normallly pulls out stuck logging trucks. He was hired to even get the damn thing turned right side up so they could look at it. Shit takes forever.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Acidbather

Trakanon Raider
So made it down to my house yesterday. We had a metal house that literally took 0 damage otber than my privacy fence got destroyed. Spent the day yesterday helping put tarps on people's roofs. Drove around my brothers neighborhood in Moss Bluff just north of lake charles and it looks like someone dropped a bomb on it. We had to park about half a mile away and climb over fallen trees just to get to his house which surprisingly just took a little garage damage from a tree that fell on it. I saw more than one brick home literally split in half by pine trees. Just north of my brothers neighborhood are "the highlines" which are those giant high tension electrical towers, most of those towers were crumpled like aluminum foil. Those giant towers are a distribution site so they will have to be replaced before power can be restored to the area. Pictures do no justice to the absolute destruction that is inthe area right now. The good thing though is it seems like the hurricane blew covid away cuz there are crews from all over to country down in the area trying to help clean up. I left this morning to drive to Houston to meet up with my wife and kids to relax for a day and resupply before heading back down. Got my kid to take a couple of pics so ill post em

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Acidbather

Trakanon Raider
20200830_084329.jpg20200830_083903.jpg20200830_083813.jpg20200830_083705.jpg20200830_083626.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Local standing timber price is going to fall off a cliff price wise. Happened in previous hurricanes and straight line wind events. All that "salvage". Mark my words, someone will get shot over getting some of the downed timber. Happens every time.

One carbon monoxide death was someone in Texas at a pool hall or Lake Charles in a place called the Texas Pool Hall, it wasn't real clear. At least they had priorities. Sounds like a really upscale place.

Edit - I just thought I was seeing double/double. Must be a time warp started by the hurricane :)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
DC area hit with severe storms again, not as bad as a month ago but still got over 2" in 30 minutes for the initial wave. Tornado was confirmed in the area and we definitely had a few severe gusts hitting the trees behind our fence.

We're going to have to upgrade our drainage options at this rate.

Borzak

Total now from the hurricane. 20 deaths. The one group of carbon monoxide poisoning. Large number from falling trees. 2 from heat related issues and from the liast were all 60+. Kind of surprised not more so far considering Lake Charles is right on the water/marsh.

Some of the Antifa group that was DC at the RNC packed up and invaded Lake Charles for protest. See how this plays out.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the one thing California had going for it, nature, is basically out of the question now.

We weren't able to camp at all this spring/summer because of covid. Spring because the campgrounds were closed, and summer because everyone in California had fuckall to do and went camping, so it was impossible to camp anywhere.

Now that it's fall, the wife and I were looking forward to camping. It's been a month of wildfires now. Normally, a "bad" season we have a week or two of smoke. This is a month ongoing with no end in sight.

Every morning this week I've woken up because of the smoke. Usually it's been clearing out for the most part (we don't smell it in the house) by around 8-9am. Today it's almost noon and there's just a thick cloud in the air. Between this and earthquakes, I'm done. That's not even factoring in the political aspect.

• 1Like

Borzak

Friends in Baton Rouge got a big trailer and filled it with supplies for my friend and his family in Lake Charles. Kind of surprised they could get through. Friend of mine her parents live just north of Natchitoches and they are being told months for power, water, phone either cellular or land line.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Wait, was LC fucked up that bad? It's hard to tell as all the media talks about is fake source stories.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, got a winter weather advisory for Boulder from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
We've been getting ash from a fire a bit west of Boulder so rain/snow will good

Borzak

Wait, was LC fucked up that bad? It's hard to tell as all the media talks about is fake source stories.
Places they have shown that were right on the water are still there so who knows.

Friend that went with the trailer said part of town was just "gone", friend lives outside of town they were going to.

Hard to tell. All I get are press conferences from the mayors and governor. They all stress don't come back and be a burden, bring all your own water, food, gas, etc.. that will last longer than the time you plan to stay.

Friend that stayed at the hospital had pics, the hospital lost most of it's windows and all the coverings for walkways and cars of course. They lost power, but never lost cell coverage.

Last edited:
  • 1Like