Weather

SeanDoe1z1

the full pic

just cut the warehouse in half
c4113ccabe7defd97214f4bf9bc45ef1.jpg

I literally just got a bonus for putting antennas on these Amazon warehouses across the country over the last year.

I don’t think they survived.

SeanDoe1z1

Unironically. In hurricane prone areas we penetrate and bolt our systems (a big hassle for anyone that deals with big projects and roof penetrations) otherwise it’s just weighted with 150lbs+ because the type of weather to destroy the system with sustained winds would be something like this, total destruction.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

And inside that building is wall to wall metal shelving up to 50’. Nearly 1 million square feet of steel barely wide enough for two humans
to walk through for about half sq footage. That place would of been a metal blender. I couldn’t even imagine how loud that would be. being familiar with it, I wouldn’t even know where I would try to go. Probably one of the roof access stairwells and try to get my ass low possible, or one of the major I beam
Supports. They’re big enough you could probably cover yourself well but….would be a ride.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've heard it is really hard to get steel construction beams because amazon bought them all. Now they are going to need a few more.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And inside that building is wall to wall metal shelving up to 50’. Nearly 1 million square feet of steel barely wide enough for two humans
to walk through for about half sq footage. That place would of been a metal blender. I couldn’t even imagine how loud that would be. being familiar with it, I wouldn’t even know where I would try to go. Probably one of the roof access stairwells and try to get my ass low possible, or one of the major I beam
Supports. They’re big enough you could probably cover yourself well but….would be a ride.
this weekend i asked two plant builders and line managers and their shelter in place facilities is usually the bathroom area in or near the lockers, or the front entrance.

1. tornado shelters are extremely expensive so youll usually have one or two at most
2. it has to be a place EVERYONE goes to (someone from the plant side wouldn't know where the head office is and etc), but everyone goes to the lockerrooms /front entrance.

the amazon warehouse that got ripped, the ppl that survived were told to shelter in place and it was their bathroom, dunno what happened to the 6 that died tho

SeanDoe1z1

Yeah I’ve been in the their employee area, shelter in place. Basically office space. It is on the other side of 17”” concrete wall from all the metal shelving though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I’ve been in the their employee area, shelter in place. Basically office space. It is on the other side of 17”” concrete wall from all the metal shelving though.
yea from what i read their shelter in place worked cuz at least 45 ppl were directed there and lived, after you saw that the fucking tornado dug a trench right through the warehouse, so that was built correctly, otherwise thered be many more deaths.

was it a big enough area to hold 45ppl or more or were they basically in a cramed elevator?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
this weekend i asked two plant builders and line managers and their shelter in place facilities is usually the bathroom area in or near the lockers, or the front entrance.

1. tornado shelters are extremely expensive so youll usually have one or two at most
2. it has to be a place EVERYONE goes to (someone from the plant side wouldn't know where the head office is and etc), but everyone goes to the lockerrooms /front entrance.

the amazon warehouse that got ripped, the ppl that survived were told to shelter in place and it was their bathroom, dunno what happened to the 6 that died tho
Im old enough to remember when shelter in place locations were bathrooms because the bathtubs in buildings and homes were cast iron or something similarly impenetrable.

• 1Like

SeanDoe1z1

yea from what i read their shelter in place worked cuz at least 45 ppl were directed there and lived, after you saw that the fucking tornado dug a trench right through the warehouse, so that was built correctly, otherwise thered be many more deaths.

was it a big enough area to hold 45ppl or more or were they basically in a cramed elevator?

It would be tight but big enough.

Apparently it’s a wash for our stuff.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been out of town for a couple days, but my sister-in-laws family had their house destroyed in Kentucky, and her aunt died (heart attack during the tornado). Sister-in-law said that the coroner had a property assessor with them for addresses because there are basically no houses (it's close to the Kentucky Lake). We actually used to live probably 3 minutes south of where it hit, and it's where my wife was living when we met.

Friends of our parents live in Mayfield and their house is not quite a total loss, but the pictures of the neighborhood behind theirs is completely leveled.

Crazy shit.

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Been out of town for a couple days, but my sister-in-laws family had their house destroyed in Kentucky, and her aunt died (heart attack during the tornado). Sister-in-law said that the coroner had a property assessor with them for addresses because there are basically no houses (it's close to the Kentucky Lake). We actually used to live probably 3 minutes south of where it hit, and it's where my wife was living when we met.

Friends of our parents live in Mayfield and their house is not quite a total loss, but the pictures of the neighborhood behind theirs is completely leveled.

Crazy shit.
are they covered at least then?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Even the modern non-fancy ones are still porcelain enameled steel.
Fiberglass is common too. I had a cast iron one at my last house weighed an absolute ton and took up massive space. Gave it away and it took 5 guys a long time to move it.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Getting 80+ mph winds through town this afternoon, had to undo the Christmas decorations

• 1WTF

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
RIP Iowa today. Major wind and storms in that area later today. I'd rather it be cold than to deal with this extreme weather bullshit in December.

1639595490746.png

• 1Like