Weather

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I drive 80+ miles a day to and from work in Michigan and the semi drivers that pass me on the highway when it's icy and snowy out scare the shit out of me. If you go slow, you get tailgated or the idiot who wants to go fast tries to pass and ends up putting you all in the ditch.
Yeah, you kind of have to move with traffic or you're causing a very dangerous situation. Last winter I was driving on an interstate where the driving lane was bare and dry but the passing lane had like 4 inches of dry snow on it. Some fucking asshole in a semi was doing 45 in the right lane even though there was no reason to be driving that slow and like 17 cars piled up behind him and then every few minutes some dipshit would decide that he had to pass the whole line of cars and as soon as he pulled out into the left lane all the other cars were completely blinded by all the snow he was throwing up plus trying to do 75 in that much snow to pass all those cars is fucking nuts. This went on for like 30 miles and by the time I finally got to where I was going I wanted to murder everyone who had passed me but the truck driver in front that caused the whole situation I wanted to torture and then murder.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll add to the story, since I've driven on that deathtrap of a highway many times.

It sucks... It's 2 lanes and narrow. It's HEAVILY traffic'ed it connects detroit to chicago (and therefore canada to chicago)... LOTS of semis.

The speed limit for cars in michigan is 70, but trucks is 60. A car can travel 84 without being pulled over (or 79 if you REALLY want to be safe). Many truckers have systems in their cabin that do not ALLOW them to go over the speed limit... So you have a very unsafe situation in heavy traffic where cars are passing semis that are virtually standing still... and then some idiot fucking car will brake behind a semi, slowing down to 60... and then pulling out into the left lane where a line of cars could be going 84... PLUS the trucks that pass each other it creates a traffic jam EVERY SINGLE TIME, because of the speed differentials. So chunky traffic conditions cause more and more congestion..., it snowballs...

It's a totally shitty stretch of freeway, the roads are in terrible shape, I'd name it the worst freeway in the u.s. and I've driven all over the country.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Finally got around to getting my winter tires on and it's supposed to be 18(50ish F) tomorrow and really nice all week. It has been a bad year for skiing. I recall hearing the mountains were supposed to be great this season, but it has been pretty shitty so far.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'll add to the story, since I've driven on that deathtrap of a highway many times.

It sucks... It's 2 lanes and narrow. It's HEAVILY traffic'ed it connects detroit to chicago (and therefore canada to chicago)... LOTS of semis.

The speed limit for cars in michigan is 70, but trucks is 60. A car can travel 84 without being pulled over (or 79 if you REALLY want to be safe). Many truckers have systems in their cabin that do not ALLOW them to go over the speed limit... So you have a very unsafe situation in heavy traffic where cars are passing semis that are virtually standing still... and then some idiot fucking car will brake behind a semi, slowing down to 60... and then pulling out into the left lane where a line of cars could be going 84... PLUS the trucks that pass each other it creates a traffic jam EVERY SINGLE TIME, because of the speed differentials. So chunky traffic conditions cause more and more congestion..., it snowballs...

It's a totally shitty stretch of freeway, the roads are in terrible shape, I'd name it the worst freeway in the u.s. and I've driven all over the country.
Fortunately, Google will have all this bullshit handled in the coming decade.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The local forecasts in Jersey the past week have just been awful. Yesterday's storm was supposed to be 0-2 inches of snow, followed up by rain washing most of that away. Wake up to 8 inches of snow.

This next storm was supposed to miss us to the south, and now are are calling for 12-18 inches here. Crazy stuff.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
DC is getting 0-3" through both days. I think most people would pass on the 12-24. 5-8 would be fine though.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
boston- heck most of MA 18-24"+ of snow, one forecast model has boston at just under 30" by wed morning

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was a ~200 car pileup here in Michigan on I-94 like a week ago or so. One of the semi-trucks was full of fireworks, it got set off, explosions everywhere!!! I actually had the day off work that day, lucky me. I don't actually drive on I-94, but I do take US 131 so it was somewhat close to where I usually drive to and from work. Overall, people driving too fast in near white out / icy conditions. The night before was just as bad, was like 50mph wind gusts causing just about complete white out conditions, da fuck are these people driving that fast for. It's one of the reasons why I kind of want to move out of michigan...lake effect winters blow fucking ass.

Edit:
Was only like 1 dead and ~20 or so injuried.
That was crazy. Literally looked like people coming out of a fog going WAY too fast and just "oh fuck" as they come into a pile up.

Think I even saw some people who slid into the side/fence getting out of their cars. Fuck that.

You'd think people would be used to those conditions and how to drive in them.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
YOU/WE would think that but they never will.

And fuck this storm rolling into New England. It's going to delay the delivery of my new GTX 960. I'm already salty as hell about it. I was actually just telling my brother it'd be cool to be in a blizzard as long as the power stays on. I should shut my damn mouth. rofl

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I'm in the area that's getting 24-30 inches of snow tomorrow.

FUCK. THAT.

I am working from home. Wife works for the USPS and they expect her to come in, already decided she's calling out. I mean, she's pregnant - come on..

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, since the boss doesn't seem to know you can rest easy because the kid obviously isn't his.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, at least there'll be plenty of water run-off for all those farmers in New York and New Jersey in the spring!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, since the boss doesn't seem to know you can rest easy because the kid obviously isn't his.
He does know. The USPS doesn't give a shit about anyone though. A couple years ago we got nearly 3 feet of snow and I had to shovel out the wife's car for THREE hours because they made her come in (and she went).

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Noodle:

A statewide travel ban for all non-essential motor vehicles will begin at midnight, and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority will be closed Tuesday, Baker said.

In Boston, the travel ban will start at 8 p.m., Walsh said.
there is not going to be ANY mail delivered tomorrow.
Logan Airport isclosingat 7pm tonite...and is CLOSED tomorrow. over 1 thousand flights cancelled or postponed.

so unless your wife is essential for her job...she stays home.

boston just cancelled school for tomorrow AND wednesday
i expect MOST communities to follow suit, as of right now my town has school tomorrow (however I EXPECT that to change by 6pm tonite to cancelled tomorrow AND wednesday)