Weather

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I've been to Daytona about a dozen times in my life. Always nice even on hot days. In late 2000s we took a trip down and stayed in Orlando for a week, except after 2 days we moved it to the beach. People who live inland Florida are mentally insane.
I live in Kissimmee and I love the humidity. I went to Vegas for my 21st birthday years ago. Was 112 in the shade, fuck that shit. I could feel my eyeballs drying out while walking down the strip, was a weird feeling. The only time in my life I have truly felt oppressive humidity was when I went to St. Maarten a few years ago. It was only 85 out ,but it felt like 300% humidity. I have lived in Florida for 22 years now and I had never experienced anything like that before.

All that said, the summer rains are here and things are just swell now that our mini-drought is over.

Oldbased

> Than U
I live in Kissimmee and I love the humidity. I went to Vegas for my 21st birthday years ago. Was 112 in the shade, fuck that shit. I could feel my eyeballs drying out while walking down the strip, was a weird feeling. The only time in my life I have truly felt oppressive humidity was when I went to St. Maarten a few years ago. It was only 85 out ,but it felt like 300% humidity. I have lived in Florida for 22 years now and I had never experienced anything like that before.

All that said, the summer rains are here and things are just swell now that our mini-drought is over.
I was glad to see so much moisture over the panhandle, wish it was more over Florida/GA. Glad to not see a what 5th year in a row of highways on fire for once. Get Florida a good week soak and Dakotas some water and the nation will look halfway decent for a change.

iannis

Musty Nester
Don't close your vents or shut out bedrooms you don't use. Rooms closer to the HVAC will have better air pressure naturally and cool quicker so what you want to do is just slightly close them or get a nice fan like a vornado to push that air out and into other rooms. Black out curtains are huge energy savers for keeping the sun out in rooms you don't need lit. Make sure you use weather stripping or something to actually seal your doors or windows so you don't get hot air flooding your house. Ceiling fans are for personal comfort and don't do shit for pushing enough air around to help the hvac. Of course the number one thing is to have a properly insulated house including the attic with vents for the hot air.

Window treatments are easy to underestimate.

There's an upstairs room that I never had a curtain on because... no good reason, I was just too lazy to ever spend the 5 minutes to hang a rod. It had a little blind that I never used. Never really cared. It faces the afternoon sun. When I finally did put a rod and one of those thick light blocking curtains up on it... that room is at least 10 degrees cooler in the late afternoon.

Dat mean old sun just cooks the air. I mean sure, obviously. But I was legit surprised at what a LARGE difference it made.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Central Florida and south Florida aren't really apples to apples comparisons tho, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami are a good bit further south and don't get anywhere near as many cool days. I've never lived in a dry heat type place like Arizona but i'm sure it's also not a pleasant experience (but of course there ARE people who love both types of weather), it definitely takes some getting used to though. I guess the one thing humidity has going for it is you sweat a lot so you definitely remember to stay hydrated but fuck that, it's not even summer yet and I already wish it was fall/winter. I'll take 0 to 40 any day instead of 80+.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even Europe getting kinda hot lately. Second week of 90s in the southern Netherlands, and there's been basically zero rain here in the last month and a half. Top 5% in drought years so far.

I actually have AC in my bedroom unlike most people here so it doesn't bother me that much, but I'm considering getting AC for the rest of the house too. Most houses here are all brick construction which stays cool for a long time, but once it heats up inside the house it does not cool down at all even if you have a colder day. Gets muggy at night without AC too.

Oldbased

> Than U
Even Europe getting kinda hot lately. Second week of 90s in the southern Netherlands, and there's been basically zero rain here in the last month and a half. Top 5% in drought years so far.

I actually have AC in my bedroom unlike most people here so it doesn't bother me that much, but I'm considering getting AC for the rest of the house too. Most houses here are all brick construction which stays cool for a long time, but once it heats up inside the house it does not cool down at all even if you have a colder day. Gets muggy at night without AC too.
Mine is brick as well and oldish. Between the brick and thick plaster it does take some time for it respond to conditions. If only they had used insulation back in those days.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mine is brick as well and oldish. Between the brick and thick plaster it does take some time for it respond to conditions. If only they had used insulation back in those days.

Mine's only 10 years old so it has all the energy saving stuff. Inner and outer wall plus glass wool insulation layer, about 14 inches thick all together. Takes two to three days to heat up and cool down with the weather.

This far north the sun doesn't set until 10pm so it's not like it cools down quickly in the evening.

Oldbased

> Than U
Mine's only 10 years old so it has all the energy saving stuff. Inner and outer wall plus glass wool insulation layer, about 14 inches thick all together. Takes two to three days to heat up and cool down with the weather.

This far north the sun doesn't set until 10pm so it's not like it cools down quickly in the evening.
Here and this happens pretty often in KY, if it is 80 degrees one day and high of 30 the next it takes about 12-24 hours. Pretty much saves me the first day of a massive swing. I'm convinced plaster is better at transferring temperatures because if the house is already cool it seems to push back the heat more than the bricks. We have a couple super drafty windows that I had shielded with plastic on the inside this past winter. When the central heat wasn't on the plastic was bowed inward to the inside of the house. When the heat kicked on the plastic was molded into the blinds behind it. Internal pressure was neat to see under such conditions and shows the process of air loss and air intake quite well.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man bricks definitely hold in heat like a mo-fo. Rear of my house is south facing and its all fucking dark red brick. Sometimes on a sunny day its actually too hot to touch. dont tell me that shit is not affecting the inside temp of my house. Its like a brick pizza oven, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Like fall of the year here now. In the 60's now and high tomorrow of 74. Which is 20-25F below average for this time of year.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
12 billion gallons of water pour into Lake Tahoe amid this week's heat wave
Remember when this sucker was about to dry up and everyone was screaming we're doomed? It wasn't that long ago although days seem like weeks and weeks years to me right now, but I think it was 2014.

I think it was the late 80's or early 90's that they were talking about pumping lake Michigan into the Mississippi river because it was so low. Year after they talked about doing that they got so much rain that the Mississippi flooded so bad it washed houses away. You can see that footage in like every apocalypse movie.

It's amazing how one year can erase years of drought.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It was a little warm today in Honolulu. Not terrible. Like 86 range. Fortunately the wind was present, so it wasn't too bad. Occasionally the wind would die down, but it was good most of the day.

I've never used the house air conditioning here. It's been bad like 2-3 times in the past year, but it's not worth using it. A fan is usually sufficient.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Geez, it's almost like these things run in fucking cycles. Who knew?

More correct than AGW scientists. Hows that religion working out for you Bill Nye boys??

2015-old-farmers-almanac(1).jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was a little warm today in Honolulu. Not terrible. Like 86 range. Fortunately the wind was present, so it wasn't too bad. Occasionally the wind would die down, but it was good most of the day.

I've never used the house air conditioning here. It's been bad like 2-3 times in the past year, but it's not worth using it. A fan is usually sufficient.

I almost took a job in Hawaii a couple years back, but the cost of living made me decide against it. I had also read the electricity rates were staggering and most people refuse to use the AC and just open windows. You'd think Hawaii would harness geothermal, wind, solar, or any other option... but nope... they still use ships to haul in petroleum and coal. The electric rates were nearly 150% higher than the national average.