Weather

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dirty secret of cleaner energy is that shit takes forever to pay off.

There are massive solar and wind farms in California, but my electric rates are obscene (14-24+ cents per kWh, in tiers). Yeah, it's cool and all that it's renewable, but the fixed cost on that shit means I pay out the ass.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Dirty secret of cleaner energy is that shit takes forever to pay off.

There are massive solar and wind farms in California, but my electric rates are obscene (14-24+ cents per kWh, in tiers). Yeah, it's cool and all that it's renewable, but the fixed cost on that shit means I pay out the ass.
The reason your power is high is because California is buying tons of power from out of state at outrageous prices. It has absoluetly nothing to do with wind power which is slated go be 74 dollars a megawatt compared to natural gases 68 and coals 95 for 2018.

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah I'll never complain about the heat after spending 7 months at the base in Djibouti from May-November of 2012. Got to experience the whole lovely summer! We were ~3/4 of a mile from the Gulf of Aden and working on the flightline. In the morning the wind would come in off the gulf so you'd have an obscene amount of humidity ready for when it hit 110-115 in the afternoon. Pretty sure during one busy day I drank 12+ bottles of water and didn't pee once. Also never got below the low 90's at night. Get up to take a leak at 3 AM and sweat my balls off just walking to the bathroom tent and back to mine. Don't think anything stateside can really compare to that misery, though growing up in Tampa I was used to the humidity just not quite that level of actual heat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
I managed a fire job last year that hit a house on one end and of course started an attic fire. A week later once all the insurance stuff was worked out we went to start gutting the damage and found 2 things of note more impressive than the initial strike. One was the gas line under the house had all the fitting near the meter( 3 feet in under the house at first union ) had jolted so hard it striped the threads and pipe was loose. They were REALLY lucky that didn't ignite initially as it would have been full force gas rupture like a flame thrower. It was obviously turned off by the responding firemen on the fire the day it struck and within a hour but none including the firemen were aware of that rupture/damage at the time. The other was in the bathroom near that end of the house and 60 feet from the strike location the bathroom window frame became fused together with the frame and split the wall 2 feet down. It was missed initially due to all the other fire damage.

Inspectors, insurance, me/us, everyone was confused by all this. It appears the lightning ran through the whole house but had 2 major exit points and/or areas of damage. Everyone ended up speculating it was hit twice rapidly or some other freak situation.

I've done lightning strikes in the past for insurance companies where it hit chimneys and basically every eave light was burned and every switch/plug in the house had soot/blackened near it but other than some fried electronics no other damage( and split fireplaces ). Those are always fun because you have a house with no real fire damage but you still have to damage everything to rewire and tear out entire fireplaces from the home to repair.

Lightning is no joke.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
2nd post since it isn't related to first.
Be safe our Texan brothers. Don't take silly risks. Get out if you can.

add.png

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
How bad is Houston supposed to get it? I'm in SC for work right now, but our home is in the Woodlands and girlfriend was in San Antonio on her way back home. We're trying to come up with a game plan on whether she should continue on today to get the pets. There's also the traffic concerns, but I figure she could take I-10 and cut north to Brenham, then take 290, cut north again to Magnolia and that'll put her home. Could use the same route to get back out, and head to my folks in Brenham to wait everything out. I'm hearing everything from 15" of rain to 3' of rain, and it sucks not being home to batten down the hatches.

Can anyone suggest a reliable source for updates that isn't just sensationalizing everything? Would be greatly appreciated.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How bad is Houston supposed to get it? I'm in SC for work right now, but our home is in the Woodlands and girlfriend was in San Antonio on her way back home. We're trying to come up with a game plan on whether she should continue on today to get the pets. There's also the traffic concerns, but I figure she could take I-10 and cut north to Brenham, then take 290, cut north again to Magnolia and that'll put her home. Could use the same route to get back out, and head to my folks in Brenham to wait everything out. I'm hearing everything from 15" of rain to 3' of rain, and it sucks not being home to batten down the hatches.

Can anyone suggest a reliable source for updates that isn't just sensationalizing everything? Would be greatly appreciated.

From what I heard this morning is that some models have the storm basically parking its ass right over south texas for a week, lol. Thats where the 3' of rain comes from. Some models even have it going out back to sea, making itself stronger and slamming into Louisiana.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U

Current model has it over Houston as a TS Wednesday of next week. Yes it will only travel like 200 miles in 5 days. However over the next 5 days Houston is now forecast to get 18 inches of rain which if you can't comprehend that, that is a 1.5 foot of rain for every inch of land. The flooding will be biblical they say as it will be for all of south Texas. That 18 inches of rain is the prediction for Houston by Wednesday as far as they can forecast. Keep in mind it will only be at Houston by Wednesday, the overall total for the next 5 days after may even be much much more.
HURRICANE HARVEY

raaa.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
This harvey thing is gonna be insanity. I'm in Austin and they are forecasting a possibility of 20 inches of rain here. My friend actually decided to stay close to where it landed (Sinton TX). He's crazy lol, I got an update from him an hour ago that he was still fine, very windy, eye is about 20 miles to the east of him. But nonetheless he's gonna have 30-40 inches of rain.

And poor Houston. That place is fucked. This is gonna make Allison look like a little shower.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is like the worst case scenario type Hurricane. Cat 4 and is stalling out over land. Stay safe out there Texas bros!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, this honestly sounds like Texas is kind of fucked.

The wind from a hurricane kind of sucks, but it's honestly not a huge deal. But flooding? Man, flooding will do a shit load of damage. And this sounds like biblical flooding.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i got a bunch of old EQ guildies from texas too. this shit is freaking me out. hope everyone including all you jokers who live there are ok.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
WHAT IS TRUMP DOING TO STOP THE HURRICANE? I BET NOTHING

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf