Weather

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
We haven't been getting anything. It rained a couple times in February but not much. And it didn't rain a single time in January.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tahoe recently
Got 1-2 feet of snow so that's something.

From my understanding however even if we get more precipitation its not enough, because the warmer temperatures means less of a snowpack come winter's end , which is the most important factor in the summer water supply

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
any precipitation is good, just how much when is the factor.

more snow = more water to melt= higher riverflows=higher reservoir levels come melting season.

1-2feet of snow is ~2" of water. does not sound like much but can be significant depending on the watershed size.

my area(MA)- i'm expecting most reservoirs to be pretty much full this year, i STILL have over 2 feet of snow in my front yard(considering we've had about 8 feet of snow total)- same as most of the state.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's a little different here. The snow should last in the mountains into mid-spring. The earlier the snow melts and collects in the reservoirs, the earlier it evaporates. The snow in the mountains acts as a natural slow-release mechanism. Sure, it's better than nothing. But it's not ideal.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Not different, like i said more snow= higher levels at melting season time

if it melts early- then...it is not there @mid spring.

no worries either way, hope it cools down to allow more snowpack for later.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It has been 50 degrees here today and yesterday, and a remarkable amount of snow has disappeared. The roads are bare enough that I'm going to ride my motorcycle tomorrow. That's fun.

But I hope we get one more monster storm to cap off the winter season.
smile.png

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Spring must have arrived because the rabbit using my shed as winter shelter has been out all day despite the rain. No more snow forts for her.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bro there was a rabbit living under our shed and that little bitch was out all winter in the blizzards. It was like he never got the memo to hibernate or anything. Scared the shit out of me more than once shoveling.

Mid to upper 50's today.. what a contrast. Most of the snow is melting, so far no water in the basement, no leaking on my roof, nothing broken.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Rabbits don't hibernate. They are always out and about all winter.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most squirrels don't even hibernate, although they don't go out much during winter. Supposed to break 60 today and the little furball is out there again in the same spot.

Caliane

yeah. crazy.

61 today. ive had 26-32 inches since Jan 10th or so. a bit over a foot melted now in 2 days.
have a river in my yard. literal. it even melted all the snow in that location. the "wetlands" next to my house is going to be a mess, hope no damage..

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Skunks may not hibernate, but they do go into a state of very little movement during winter. Recently, however, there have been several run over on the local roads around here. I'd say spring is not too far off.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
yeah. crazy.

61 today. ive had 26-32 inches since Jan 10th or so. a bit over a foot melted now in 2 days.
have a river in my yard. literal. it even melted all the snow in that location. the "wetlands" next to my house is going to be a mess, hope no damage..
My house is in the middle of a giant mud puddle basically.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Skunks may not hibernate, but they do go into a state of very little movement during winter. Recently, however, there have been several run over on the local roads around here. I'd say spring is not too far off.
Yeah this week at night whil walking our dog we spotted around 3 skunks in the roads walking around at night. It was actually quite frightening as they definitely did not seem scared of us. Had to take some longass route home.