Weather

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
fqmx4jcq5od21.jpg

• 7Worf
  • 3WTF
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 10 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think all the weather forecasters with noaa or whatever have been busy watching the really cold to forecast the weather here. They've been predicting 20F for a low for almost a week. Today it's 60F and they missed the low and high by around 15F in the forecast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Yeah seen that happen in the past. Keep the switches from freezing up in a yard. Kind of suprised haven't heard of a big industrial boo boo with this cold of weather. Our stuff down here doesn't react that well to the very cold. Or at least "cold" in the sense of outside normals for the area. The one time it got to -2F in Baton Rouge the Exxon refinery had a boo boo that took out a city block.

On another forum someone else posted they work at a paper mill and they shut down since the power company requested they shut down to save natural gas for heating customers. I can see it being -50F and still having to go work here, company sells excess power they generate to the power company lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah seen that happen in the past. Keep the switches from freezing up in a yard. Kind of suprised haven't heard of a big industrial boo boo with this cold of weather. Our stuff down here doesn't react that well to the very cold. Or at least "cold" in the sense of outside normals for the area. The one time it got to -2F in Baton Rouge the Exxon refinery had a boo boo that took out a city block.

On another forum someone else posted they work at a paper mill and they shut down since the power company requested they shut down to save natural gas for heating customers. I can see it being -50F and still having to go work here, company sells excess power they generate to the power company lol.

wife just told me she was on call to give the go ahead to close a factory in chicago cuz too cold to work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Good thing it doesn't get very cold here at all. Stuff really can't shut down "on the fly" and it's not as automated as people think it is. Reason the roads inside the facilities are lined with valve turners on racks everywhere. Operator on a radio will tell a guy to turn X valve. I could see too hot before it got too cold to work lol.

I worked for the US Forest Service one summer and they really didn't want me working outside the office when it got above 95F. I always thought that was the dumbest thing in Texas in the south in the summer time.

I went on a hunt in Alberta and that was cold enough for me to last a lifetime. Guide gave us special suits to wear and the windchill was like -35. He said "Make sure if you piss to stand out of the wind, or you might die". Yeah I think I can hold it, but thanks.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hit 5 degrees last night, forecast for 14 tonight. Next Tuesday: high of 65. Thanks for the rollercoaster I'm sure this will have absolutely no effect on illnesses and flu season.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

I was thinking the same yesterday. Regions that get that sort of cold often are built around the potential. From housing codes to utilities to roads, everything is graded for it. That entire regions don't just fall apart in situations like this is surprising.

• 1Like

Borzak

Over 80F here today. Talked to someone who stood outside the office for the funeral going by of a police officer who died. Said they got a sunburn a little today. Odd times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Joys of the south. Few days ago the high got up to 80F. Today it snowed and sleeted for a short period.

• 1Like